The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: So it begins!!!!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

So it begins!!!!

Well I finally had to bite the bullet and start the long put off 5sp swap since my auto started slipping. I worked on it for 4 hr last night and 3 hrs this morning.

Its pretty much done besides running the line from the master to the slave, and tightening up the motor mounts.

I will say that it is fairly straight forward. The hardes part of the entire process is mounting the damn clutch pedal!! Being 6'3" tall and trying to cram myself down in the drivers foot well sucks major ASS!!!

Doing the swap has also inspired me to get off my ass and get the forged rods and pistons I have always wanted....so i ordered them and they came in yesterday. I went with the eagle rods and wiseco 9:1 pistons. They should be in by the end of next month. These coupled with my evo 8 ecu swap (already done), rc 750 cc injectors, meth inj kit, and the 5sp should make for a pretty potent setup.

I would love to see the 450 whp that i had w/ my 1g talon, but after my recent purchases, the well has run dry...lol. I need to save some more $ once I figure out what turbo I plan on running. I had a gt 35r on my 1g awd, but I think that will be major overkill on the fwd tranny. For now I guess I will just run the tiny 14b to its max and search long and hard for an affordable 2g awd setup.

I just figured I would drop in and give an update since I haven't been on in a while.....well for any of those who care...lol

nice man good job post some pics
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

i hope you got the right size pistons.... you know .01 or .02 over.

good shit! post vids!

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    good job bro.. def post some pics if you can
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Experienced TGC Member
    Bahahahahahahahahaha! Its a toss up on which is more of a bitch. Running the shifter cables through the firewall and getting the damn near impossible 10mm bolt out of the cable holder or doing the clutch pedal.. Hmmmmm. I vote shifter cables.. Those were a ROYAL bitch. I didnt fight much with the clutch pedal because i used those wood bur bits on a drill and it just ate the living hell out of some metal.... Good luck man. Glad to see another 7ger swapping!

No toss up at all, the clutch pedal and master cylinder were the worst. But then I had my ECU and harness out when I switched the shifter cables so nothing was in my way there.

If you're planning on going AWD in the future I'd definitely hold out on getting a bigger turbo until that swap is done. My bet is you're already getting torque steer with the 14b maxed out.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 04-27-2009 at 07:21 AM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

15 min each. thats how long it took me when i did the swap
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Congrats on the swap. Way better then automatic, you'll love it.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

The shifter cables were easy. The old one slide out and the new ones went right threw. I did get .020 over pistons. They and the block will be going to the machine shop together so they can get the ptw clearance spot on.