The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Anyone have experience with a complete re-paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

Anyone have experience with a complete re-paint?

Will need to have a complete repaint of my g/f's '99 ES that got sideswiped by an SUV. Anyone with practical experience having their whole car professionally repainted? Including prep and removal of parts. Want to get an idea of how much it's going to cost. I am replacing all the suspension, both doors, fender and quarter panel myself, but I'd rather not get involved with all the tedious sanding and paint work.

Thanks!

Experienced TGC Member
    I have a buddy who does collision repair out here and I had him look at my 99 Es for repaint and minor body damage repair (not to the extent of what you have), but for them to do all the work and repaint I am looking right around $2000...just depends on how much labor is involved for the prep really. If the prep is minimal and the paint is pretty "standard" you could get the car resprayed for around $1000, or possibly less.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

I paid 3000.00 and that was with having the car stripped down and painted.
    Love,
    Matt

i got mine done for 800 the first time but that was just to paint it i did most of the body work and prep

That sucks man, but I see you have rear quarter damage that will cost a lot since the rear quarter isn't like a fender you can just bolt on. They need to cut that reweld a new one from the JY and then they will bondo and sand any pieces that have dents and such I will estimate that car to cost about 2200 probably more I used to work at a body shop. If the quarter was the only thing that would cost me about 800 and thats with them doing the work if I do the work myself on a rear quarter probably 500 but its really labor intensive.

alex0091
    i put my kit on myself, and took it to a place they charged me like 2400 to repaint the whole thing, fix like 12 dents, and patch up 3 gaps i left while puting my kit on. Over all it was worth it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    If your doing a complete color change its going to cost more because then you have to paint inside the door jambs and also on the inside/edges of all the parts. The only way to change the edge colors is to remove the parts from the car and "edge them out" as its called in the business. With my car we did ALL the body work first, test fitting, modifying parts, aligning gaps, fixing all dents, dings and scratches, prime, block sand, wetsand. Then you remove all the parts from the car, mask off the exterior surface of the panel, and either hang them or put them on racks, edge them all out in colors, then edge in clear coat. While all the parts are off the car you would paint and clear coat the door jambs. Then you put all the parts back on, and then repaint the exterior of the car. For a REALLY CLEAN job, you can paint ALL the parts (completely paint) with them removed from the car, and paint the door jambs, roof, rockers and quarter panels all at once, then put all the parts back on after being painted. The benefit of this is you will have no "clear lines' which is where the clear was previously masked and stopped, and re-started. This way is a PITA because you run the risk of scratching something while putting the parts back on, mainly the doors and aligning them. I hope that all makes sense, I know its alot of info. Matt paying $3000 for a complete color change is a deal. Also depending on where you live and keep your car, if you keep the car outside alot and its exposed to alot of sunlight, you want to use a really good quality clearcoat to prevent fading/yellowing of the clear. When I was shopping for clear coat the prices ranged from $175-$550 for enough to do a whole car. Just choose a shop thats reputable and you wont have to worry about any of this. Most paint/clear coats from popular brands like Dupont, PPG, Spies/Hecker and BASF brands (R+M & Glasurit) are all going to be good quality products.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

ive always wondered on the price for all new paint, i kind of wanted to make my G yellow for some odd reason at one point, looked into it and backed RIGHT out, Makko does it for cheap 800$, but they are VERY shitty jobs the paint will crack off pretty soon, but for a temp job go there, but as i said SHITTY

~Gaben

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

TGC Regular
    The most exspensive part about re-paint is the labor itself. paint itself is only a gallon for each prime, body and gloss (also depending on what type). Some paints like pearl, metallic, double layers, triple layers where you have different color when you look at different angles + gloss. Depending on what type of paint you get you still have to mix it with uhhhh not exactly sure the name is on top of my head but its like paint thinner and get more then a gallon as a final to paint with. Not sure if that made sense....lol

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

my color change (from minden silver pearl - MITSU OE color, to diamond silver pearl - MBZ OE color) cost $4500 including kit install, molding, and custom body work. it also took over a month to finish due to multiple coats of primer/color/clear coat, curing , baking, wetsand, etc.

Just got a quote and it's pretty rough. For a repaint including labor to completely replace the rear quarter inner and outer with factory pieces (involves removing rear bumper and rear glass), pulling the dents out of the front door hinge support and repainting the replacement doors inside to match the body color... $6k. Ouch.

And that's after I replaced the damaged panels:
    Last edited by Armitage; 04-29-2009 at 12:17 PM

Yeah I think the prices that Reelax and the one I quoted you for are hook up prices. So you might be in the ballpark. Just keep shopping around to get the best deal.
    Love,
    Matt

TGC Regular
    When to go quote my entire paint job today and gilman mitsu dealership quoted for about 7500$ for re-paint, dings, and labor. Went to a local body and paint quoted for 4000$ for labor and no paint. 4500$ with paint. And went to a referral place got a quote about 3000$ with paint. so i notice that it was mostly about the labor. Maybe that is why his was 6k instead of the usuall avg 4k?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    my repaint was a half-off special, $600

TGC Regular
    600$? O.O was it a full 3 stage paint job? or just a rebase-reclear?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    it was a Maaco job.. i had the oxidation issue with my black G so they fully sanded it down and resprayed my stock black paint on there again.. i wasn't happy with the results though, some areas are light and appear brown in sunlight. and it is not too strong on the front bumper with rock chips

a buddy of mine sanded and prepped his car himself, and took it to maaco for around $600 they painted the car the original blue color, came out great. seems that they do a horrible prep job which yields the poor colors/chipping paint
    2006 Galant SE

Sold - 99' Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L
    Sold - 95' Mitsubishi 3000GT SL :(

3si Forums, Stealthee-"People need to learn how to drive the car themselves and stop relying on technology to help them."

I've heard bad shit about Maaco quality. IMO a full repaint for under 1000 is just like drawing on the car with crayons unless you do it all yourself.

6K is a bit harsh price wise I would try to get some quotes with rear glass rear quarter and paint. And sand a primer the rest of it yourself
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 04-29-2009 at 07:35 PM

Maaco is garbage. And anything under $2500 is a shit full repaint IMO.

TGC Regular
    I would say, if you do all the work yourself as in prep and buy all the materials. When i say prep meaning alot of elbow grease put into fixing the dings and imperfections which cost 50% of the labor/time (including paint cure time) You can make a deal with someone that your car just need paint on it and pay for the paint spray job instead of the full service which should save you at least 2k. So if you bring it to the shop with everything ready to spray and with all the paint stuff in your trunk. it should cost only like 2k just because you did most of the easy but long work yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast