The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: knocking

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

knocking

when we jacked up the car,i think my brother said that my cv boot was broken.there is a knocking noise in the front passenger side.it occurs whenever i go on any sized bump,but it would not make any noise when turning. its not like a metal to metal kind of noise but more like a deep toned knock. could it be because of the broken cv boot?

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i have a similar issue.. i think my cv boot was damaged from a bad wheel bearing causing too much play in the axle.. id have a mechanic look at it hopefully you have buddies who are mechanics like i do
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

easy way to check if its a broken CV boot is to remove the tire, see if the boot is ripped, now inside that boot if the joint is broken thats a more expensive repair.

my advice is if the boot is already ripped, I would just buy a whole new axle.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    easy way to check if its a broken CV boot is to remove the tire, see if the boot is ripped, now inside that boot if the joint is broken thats a more expensive repair.

my advice is if the boot is already ripped, I would just buy a whole new axle.
    yup i agree mine is ripped but im picking up another 7g and swapping those axles over.. o and the 5 spd

hope we helped
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

sounds like the strut mount is bad
    cv joint usually cause clicking noise when turning, but if cv boot is torn just replace it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    yup i agree mine is ripped but im picking up another 7g and swapping those axles over.. o and the 5 spd

hope we helped
    I wouldnt swap used axles. The problem is that when the car is on stock springs the cv joint has an angle and with the years it get worn out in a pattern depending on the angle. When you lower it the angle changes and the cv joint is moved to another spot in its housing, a spot that is not worn out. Then it either starts to vibrate and rips the boot. I went thru a good amount of j/y axles that were looking fine on the outside, but when i put them in they were no good.

I got two replacement axles from autozone for 120 each and 30 bucks core charge = 90 each
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

im swapping over the axles and the 5 spd tranny yes they are used and if they give me an issue then i will get new ones its just i think the wheel bearing is now shot on my car from the wear and tear on it now

and its only 1 axle giving me an issue not both only the pass. side the driver side is mint
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

i say struts are blown and you have a bad mount. that was my problem.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

TGC Regular
    Also guys make sure that your front lower control arms arent bad... If they havent been replaced you should do it now... they were recalled from the factory. What happens is that the ballbecomes worn and it pops ijn and out and eventually like it did with mine pop all the way out... It broke my cv axel and fucked my fender up. I was only in a parking lot. if i was driving it would have totalled the car and prolly flipped check that guys..

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    Also guys make sure that your front lower control arms arent bad... If they havent been replaced you should do it now... they were recalled from the factory. What happens is that the ballbecomes worn and it pops ijn and out and eventually like it did with mine pop all the way out... It broke my cv axel and fucked my fender up. I was only in a parking lot. if i was driving it would have totalled the car and prolly flipped check that guys..
    um mine hasnt been replaced but my car does feel like somethings loose ill have 2 check it out
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

alright thanks a lot guys. i will check or have it checked for all of these things.

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    um mine hasnt been replaced but my car does feel like somethings loose ill have 2 check it out
    Yea what you do is take the control arm off or just disconnect the balljoint from the hub and try and pull the ball out and push it in. If there is any play at all get a new arm.... Its very very dangerous. you can get a set on ebay for under 100 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    Yea what you do is take the control arm off or just disconnect the balljoint from the hub and try and pull the ball out and push it in. If there is any play at all get a new arm.... Its very very dangerous. you can get a set on ebay for under 100 bucks.
    honestly i dont think its the control arm.. i think the axle and wheel bearing are bad.. it has been ever since i dropped my car.. never before.. im going to take it back apart to chech that the shock is sitting right and ill check the axle and wheel bearing further
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR