The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Amp cooling

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    TGC Regular

Amp cooling

My amp is getting a little hot and i bet some of us have this problem and of course solved it one way of another.

What are the few ways i can cool my amp since i notice i was driving for a long time yesterday (40mins) and it cut off for cooling which was lame with it took 1hour trip and cutting back on the last 5mins.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

need more info on ur set up. mainly what kind of amp is it and what is the ohm load?

TGC Regular
    mtx 4004 bridge with two mtx thunders 250 rms 4ohm

Where are the amps mounted?
    If they are on the box they prob are not getting any air underneath to cool them, you could build a amp rack and mount some computer fans underneath to help keep the boards cool.
    That's what I'm going to have to do with my truck when I put my system in.
    02 Galant GTZ stock
    00 S10 Bagged on 20's Suicide Doors 5 link and control arms, more to come!

TGC Regular
    you think one of those laptop fan cooling board work?

yea i wouldent see y a laptop cooling fan would not work but it would still be better make a rack with a few comp fans in it tho just to be safe,but thats just what i would do.

I4betterthanUR4
    Hey kingscratchie, how did you hook up the computer fans to only come on when the amp is on? I just mounted an 80mm comp fan to mine but of course when I hook up the positive of the fan to the positive terminal of the amp its always on since the amp power is directly hooked up to the positive of my battery.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    there's 2 ways u can go about this a separate switch or wired up to the remote side of ur amp

another thing that keeps Amps from over heating is ur wire setup double check for what ur running i would say u should be 8 gage or better and double check ur ground wire and make sure its grounded correctly
    03 I4

I4betterthanUR4
    Alright so the fan positive runs off the remote. My only concern is that the remote is like 18 or 20 gauge and i also have a volt gauge that also has a light connected to the positive of my head unit. I dont want to overload the power going into the radio...
    Last edited by I4betterthanUR4; 06-02-2009 at 09:34 PM

Quote Originally Posted by I4betterthanUR4 View Post
    Alright so the fan positive runs off the remote. My only concern is that the remote is like 18 or 20 gauge and i also have a volt gauge that also has a light connected to the positive of my head unit. I dont want to overload the power going into the radio...

You should run a seperate wire from the fuse box back to any additional things you need to run. Fans, lights, etc..... other wise you do risk damaging your radio or causing electrical interference.