The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 ES rpms jumping!?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

94 ES rpms jumping!?

Problem starts when i start the car everytime. The rpms will go up to 1000 then drop down to about 400 then the will go down to zero and the car will completely shut off. Problem gets even worse when im at a stop light. The rpms will drop down to 400 then jump around and shit off. I have to switch it to nuetral and rev the engine to keep it from shutting off. This is driving me insane. The car drives fine when accelerating but when i stop is when the problem starts. Car has new spark plugs, wires and distributor. Rpms seemed to jump around the time after i changed the distributor. Help!?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Test your TPS(Throttle position sensor, front of the throttle body) and IAC(Idle air controller, bottum of throttle body)

While the car is running, unplug either and see if the problem worsens, gets better, or stays the same. Sounds like a bad IAC motor.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    Test your TPS(Throttle position sensor, front of the throttle body) and IAC(Idle air controller, bottum of throttle body)

While the car is running, unplug either and see if the problem worsens, gets better, or stays the same. Sounds like a bad IAC motor.

How do I test that? How much would it be to replace?

very sorry. both of those cost about $150 each. been there done that, IAC and the tps are bad on these cars

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    now does this only occur when the car is cold and once it warms up it gets better or no.. but it sounds like a bad IAC been there done that on both my 7gs
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kamenfaiz View Post
    very sorry. both of those cost about $150 each. been there done that, IAC and the tps are bad on these cars
    haha you got a deal. In my area i called around to get an IAC motor and the cheapest i found was 450!!!!!!

[QUOAC a=Galanttuner10;499640]now does this only occur when the car is cold and once it warms up it gets better or no.. but it sounds like a bad IAC been there done that on both my 7gs[/QUOTE]

It only use to do it when it was cold but now it does it whether it's cold or warm. i found a new IAC for $109 and a remanufactured one for $45. How hard is it to change out the IAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Danger View Post
    [QUOAC a=Galanttuner10;499640]now does this only occur when the car is cold and once it warms up it gets better or no.. but it sounds like a bad IAC been there done that on both my 7gs
    It only use to do it when it was cold but now it does it whether it's cold or warm. i found a new IAC for $109 and a remanufactured one for $45. How hard is it to change out the IAC?[/QUOTE]

its a pain to get to cuz its on the bottom of the throttle body

you remove the air intake piping then u remove the throttle body, then you remove the IAC mounting screws and take it off along with the old gasket then u put on the new gasket and IAC and thats it then put everything else back and call it a day
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    if you need it that bad hit me up, i have like 5 of each brand new, and maybe one used one i can throw you.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

I was reading up and i heard that you should clean the throttle body to make sure that's not the problem. How exactly do i clean it? What should i be careful with? I dont want to damage or mess anything up

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Danger View Post
    I was reading up and i heard that you should clean the throttle body to make sure that's not the problem. How exactly do i clean it? What should i be careful with? I dont want to damage or mess anything up
    get some carb/ throttle body cleaner and use that to clean the throttle body to clean off all the build up on it.. if that doesnt work its the IAC
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Im gonna clean it first but i'm pretty sure it's the IAC. Before i had this problem i noticed that everytime i turned on the a/c the rpms would drop and when i would turn it off they would jump back up, so for now im driving with windows down in the Texas heat

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Either the TPS or IAC can be causing your car to die like you are experiencing. You can get a used TPS relatively cheap if you decide to get one used. Brand new..both are going to be a bit $$$ if you are on a budget.

The TPS is easy to replace..but the IAC is more involved. If you replace the IAC, I would just replace the TB assembly, much easier and cost effective if you find a TB used.

Now if you replace both the IAC and TPS and you are still experiencing the problems...I will bet its a bad MAF sensor.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Can anyone give me a how-to guide on how to change out the IAC?

This would be alot of help, thanks!