The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clean up my transmission

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Clean up my transmission

i have my 5spd in my trunk, just wondering what would be best to clean it up, get rid of the buildup and everything thats on it and paint it, what would u guys reccommend me to do?

Experienced TGC Member
    I have used Engine "Gunk" cleaner. You should be able to pick it up at any parts store. Spray it on all over and let it set for about 10-15 minutes. Then take it through a pressure washer and it will be very well cleaned.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    I have used Engine "Gunk" cleaner. You should be able to pick it up at any parts store. Spray it on all over and let it set for about 10-15 minutes. Then take it through a pressure washer and it will be very well cleaned.
    is that safe for the trans??
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    is that safe for the trans??
    Yea it is safe for spraying on the engine and trans. It does not eat the gaskets. It is a heavy duty degreaser that works extremely well. If any of you have used simple green (another option too), this stuff works 10x better

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Yea it is safe for spraying on the engine and trans. It does not eat the gaskets. It is a heavy duty degreaser that works extremely well. If any of you have used simple green (another option too), this stuff works 10x better
    no I meant the pressure washer?

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    no I meant the pressure washer?
    Yea, its a sealed assembley, just the same as power washing the engine bay at the car wash. The pressure washer is just something you can have "mobile" instead of going to a car wash with it...either way you do it it will be safe and help to clean things up

www.blackheartmotors.net

aight cool thanks. then what paint would you recommend, engine enamel?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    carb cleaner works very well also...it can be used to clean the inside as well...just make sure obviously that you get it all off before installing

Experienced TGC Member
    aight cool thanks. then what paint would you recommend, engine enamel?
    No problem, any type of high temp heat resistant paint will do fine. Just make sure it is clean of dust and stuff and be patient with the coats. I would do at least 3-4 very light coats at a time. Let it set overnight before going over it again with more light coats, the paint will have a much more durable coat and look great.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    carb cleaner works very well also...it can be used to clean the inside as well...just make sure obviously that you get it all off before installing
    Carb cleaner does work, but depending on how thick the build up is you will still need to apply quite a bit of carb cleaner to eat away at the layers. The degreaser stuff works good as it will soak in and eat away the grease from bonding with the material.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    no dont use engine gunk cleaner use simple green work way better then gunk and if ray waz here he would agree with me
    03 I4

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    no dont use engine gunk cleaner use simple green work way better then gunk and if ray waz here he would agree with me
    Heh...first I have heard anybody suggest Simple Green over the Gunk stuff. From myself and about a dozen others at my work who have used simple green for a long time, they to have all found the gunk stuff will clean the engine, transmissions, and transfer cases much better and easier with one can than going at the stuff with 2 bottles of simple green.

I have used the gunk cleaner for a long time (at least 7-8 years). Where I use to live we had a 1/8th mile dirt track for the 360 sprints, mods, and enduro racing. Having built and rebuilding a number of engines, for these, and other applications I haven't ever touched simple green for cleaning a heavily saturated engine block/transmission.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Same thing with me i used to use gunk all the time but then a few members on here told me to try simple green and when i did i was surprised that it worked better than the gunk and i only used 1 bottle of simple green extra something dont remember but it worked even cleaned areas were gunk didnt clean
    03 I4

i use one of the walmart brands in a spray can with orange lid. its a gel so it doesnt slide or drip
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I need to clean mine too.. I'm off tomorrow if you wanna come by and clean our trannies.. They sell that gunk stuff at my store.. Hit me up..

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    you should definately take jeff up on his offer, this way you can both get your trannies clean and pick up my dash while your there lmao ;)

hmmm I'm off tomorrow and this came at the right time. I will try either product and report the results to you guys once I'm done
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Engine Brite works well too.

Also a soft brush will help lots for cleaning,
    Clean with degreaser and brush, wash it off.
    When its clean, re-clean with degreaser and a brand new clean brush to make sure its all off, then wash off, and give it a wipe with some thinners