The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OIL COVERED Spark Plugs

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Icon5 OIL COVERED Spark Plugs

Im changing my plugs and when I pulled them out, they are all covered in oil. Will changing my valve cover gasket solve this problem?

2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    replacing both the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug tube seals will solve your prob

its your sparkplug gasket... easy fix
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Banned
    *smacks forehead*

No, the valve cover gasket doesn't seal any of that, but will need to be replaced when you replace the spark plug tube gaskets. Easy fix... use a little RTV on the corners of the new valve cover gasket and it'll probably never leak provided you use decent oil.

Go to the dealer to get these items... I can get you part numbers if you don't want to deal with them looking them up.

You are saying the porcelain parts of your spark plugs are covered in oil, right?

yes completely covered. Im headed to the parts store now to get the valve cover gasket. There were no spark plug tube gaskets on the car at all. cant wait til monday to get them from the dealer, as this is my only mode of trans.

AWESOME! This fixed the problem and it runs better now then when I bought it a year and 1/2 ago. Thanks for all the input!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HOT04GTS View Post
    AWESOME! This fixed the problem and it runs better now then when I bought it a year and 1/2 ago. Thanks for all the input!
    I'm guessing the gasket kit you picked up had the plug tube seals as well. They usually do. It's probably the same kit for the 8G 6G72. Fel-Pro VS50461R?

Yep, that's the one. But I cant replace the back side until this week because Im getting a OEM plenum gasket from J&Z. Im hoping Im not having the same issue on the back side but I wont know until the intake manifold gaskets come in.