The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Project 6G74 Blackout

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 100

Project 6G74 Blackout

6G74 swap, 5 spd. swap, satin black w/body kit.
    I started diaasembly wyesterday. took off the hood front bumper and what was left of the head lights. Hopefully, i'll get the fenders off tonight, and start diconnecting the engine. If all goes well, I'll pull the engine and transmission this weekend. I'll put pics up soon.
    Last edited by jmath99V6; 05-04-2009 at 02:58 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    What kind of body kit are you putting on it?

Are you going stock with your 5spd swap or are you upgrading clutch flywheel ? any engine build plans ?
    99 BLACK GTZ
    5 SPD 10-12-08
    TEIN SPRINGS AND KYB SHOCKS
    WTB FRONT BUMPER
    WTB CF HOOD
    WTB GRILL
    WTB CF TRUNK

More info please!

And PICTURES!

Pictures are like drugs on this forum. We want em!!

I think I might go with a stage 2 clutch kit, not sure though. ideally, I would like to go turbo in the future, but if i did that, I probably would get a lsd also. Right now, i'm not sure if want to spend the $. I'm still debating if i want to go hardcore performance or more of a vip.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Whoa ! I would like to do this sometime in the future....what transmission do you use ? 3g v6 er what? Im a little new if you cant tell. I plan on following this thread closely....GOOD LUCK. PICS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    Whoa ! I would like to do this sometime in the future....what transmission do you use ? 3g v6 er what? Im a little new if you cant tell. I plan on following this thread closely....GOOD LUCK. PICS !!!
    3g v6 or stratus v6.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    supposedly the stock eclipse clutch and pressure plate will not hold well once the 6g74 is swapped in

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    what can you do to that engine ? i have not heard of any really big things done with the 6g74, especially swapped.

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    supposedly the stock eclipse clutch and pressure plate will not hold well once the 6g74 is swapped in
    Yeah I was just reading abou that. I've been looking at a few, but I haven't decided which one I want.
    But anyway, I finally got my pictures from my phone uploaded, these are from after the accident.

I took some better pictures with my camera after I started taking it apart, hopefully I can get those up later.

Just a little background on the car, I bought it with 60k mi. on it with 1 previous owner, I really have been slacking on doing anythig with it, I put on the m3 side mirrors(which look sort of crappy now), altezza tails(I tink they'll be replaced), and my system: jvc avx2, sony xplod front door speakers, amp, and 2x10" subs. Originally I had a sony headunit and a 7" touchscreen for my carputer, but the monitor and head unit got stollen so I took the carputer out.

tell you what, you know who to ask if you need help or suggestions with this swap (winks)
    and seriously if you are going VIP, why do the swap and 5spd. thats actually contradictary to the VIP class vehicles if you think about it. keep the progress and pics coming and good luck.

Just as a quick update, I finally had time to get the fenders off, and started on the radiator support. I talked to a couple guys that have replaced radiator supports on other cars and they said they drilled out the welds and replaced them with bolts. I counted almost 40 spot welds, so if I replace them with bolts it would be secure. Any other suggestions?

I can't find the sd card with my latest pics so bear with me.

finally found my sd card :D. Here's a few more pics. I started diconnecting everything last night. I'm a littke behind schedule but I'm hoping to pull the engine and tranny this weekend.

my workspace

dash cracks :(

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    no you cant just bolt on the radiator support. sure in a few areas you can get away with it but there are a lot of spots where it meets the rest of the body panels... fender subframe etc that has to be welded. since you are going to a body shop anyway for paint etc in the future you can now (if you havent already) establish a relationship with some because i assume you cant weld. just have them do it and paint it with a black or something so it doesnt rust if you plan on doing the majority of the work yourself

definately do not half ass bodywork if something is even minutely of with the rad support or other important pieces it will cause others to not fit right and will be noticable in the end

Are you saying there would be an inteference issue? (bolts too big) Otherwise I just don't see what the difference is outside of from a manufacturing standpoint it probably was a whole heck of alot cheaper for Mitsu to spot weld the rad support rather than drill and bolt them on. I've been a machinist for several years so I do have a little experiance welding, so I can do it, I just thought that if I used bolts I would have a little more adjustability in getting it aligned correctly. Thanks though fatal1 I plan on doing all the work myself (have a friend with a paint booth), but I could just rent welder I guess.

Quick update. All that's left to do is take out the axles and I should be ready to pull. Doesn't look so good for finding a 5 spd. though. I hate to be cheap, but I just can't see paying $700+ for a tranny with 100K mi. I'm still checking a few local places, but if I don't find one in the next few days, I might just keep the auto for now and continue with the 74 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    what can you do to that engine ? i have not heard of any really big things done with the 6g74, especially swapped.
    overbore and stroke it...make it a 4.0 stroker approx 330 whp n/a... huge discussion thread on club 3g about it plus I believe thats what boostzealot is doing with his shortly

sounds pretty beastly, i'll check it out

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    are you just going to be running the 6g72 injectors for now? or do you have tuning capabilities

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast