The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fans not turning on...Plz Help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Fans not turning on...Plz Help!

Hello. Whenever I'm at idle or going up a steep hill, the temperature in my car starts to go up. It has not gotten to the red mark yet. I noticed that my fan was not turning on.
    I know the fans are not faulty since both of them turn on when I switch the on the A/C, so I ruled that out and/or any fuses or relays.
    Could it be the thermostat?
    What other scenarios could it be?

Thanks in advance.

fans not working

it could be the thermostat, also check to see if you have coolant in the radiator and check to see if coolant is still good. may want to flush out your system. my 2cents

could be sumthing as simple as ur radiator cap not holding pressure, bad hose even a small leak, engine wrx harder/ thus gets hotter up hill, after looking at that check ur temp switch, that what it sounds 2 me if ur fans wrx but dnt turn on when they should.
    Last edited by ezekiel.glnt; 04-11-2009 at 01:09 AM

808state
    double check all your components..with the car cool take the cap off and see if you got good water circulation just to rule out that the water pump is not broken ..I would change out the thermostat immediately it could be getting stuck..cost 5$..iff your losing water then somethings leaking..so yah good luck

One of my friends trucks overheated when we were driving so we left heat on with windows open everywhere and it was fine. The culprit was coolant. Check coolant level and check for leaks of coolant if thats fine check the thermostat

If your sure its not any relays or sensors then.
    Throw a new thermostat in it. Flush the system and make sure all air is blead out of the system. Also check your water pump belt make sure it is correctly tightened. A loose belt can cause the pump to not pump correctly.

Thanks guys for all the replies and helpful information. I ruled out the fans as they actually do come on when the temp rises. I have noticed that I'm out of coolant every morning but I don't see any leaks wherever I stop. I really dont know how im losing water :(
    Anyway, the temp keeps fluctuating up and down. Never gets to the red zone but now Im wondering where my coolant is going. I seriously dont see any water spills under my car whenever I stop somewhere nor do I see any in my driveway (Kinda odd).
    I have replaced the radiator cap as the seal on the old one was cracked already. My next step will be to replace the thermostat.
    I replaced the water pump about two years ago and I dont see any signs of it being the culprit.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejuanito View Post
    I have noticed that I'm out of coolant every morning but I don't see any leaks wherever I stop. I really dont know how im losing water :(
    Are you putting coolant in it every morning??

If you are burning a whole gallon a day or losing it due to a leak, its time to stop pretending you are a mechanic and take it to someone who can actually figure out whats going on - before you completely destroy your engine.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Check the upper and lower radiator hoses going from the engine to the radiator. I was loosing about 1/4 a gallon a day because they were leaking only when there was pressure in them. Then when i would stop and park the car it would start to cool down so no leak could be found. The only way i knew is by cleaning the engine let it dry then taking the car out for the days drive. Then i popped the hood and look for coolent leaks. Give that a try. You might find the problem then.

Thanks guys for all the replies and helpful information. I ruled out the fans as they actually do come on when the temp rises. I have noticed that I'm out of coolant every morning but I don't see any leaks wherever I stop. I really dont know how im losing water :(
    First Question: When you check coolant level are you checking it by removing the radiator cap or looking in the overflow bottle?

Second question: If you're checking in the radiator, are you sure you're filling your radiator properly when you're replacing the coolant?

With engine cool, remove radiator cap.
    Start car and turn heater and fan on high.
    Fill radiator to top and wait....
    Thermostat will open and radiator will burp, coolant level will go down
    Fill radiator to top, replace cap

Check those things first, also look for any coolant or residue around your hose clamps on both the top and bottom radiator hoses. The stock clamps are crap and leak like crazy. Replace them with standard hose clamps.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post
    First Question: When you check coolant level are you checking it by removing the radiator cap or looking in the overflow bottle?

Second question: If you're checking in the radiator, are you sure you're filling your radiator properly when you're replacing the coolant?
    1. I check both the level on the radiator and the Reservoir. The overflow is always at the same level but everyday Im putting about half a gallon of water to top off the radiator.

2. I dont know if I am filling up the radiator completely. I have not done the "turn the engine, let it warm and wait for the thermostat to open" procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Check the upper and lower radiator hoses going from the engine to the radiator. I was loosing about 1/4 a gallon a day because they were leaking only when there was pressure in them.

Turned out that the radiator was leaking from underneath. I had to put a temporary Band-Aid and add radiator Stop-a-Leak. So far it's doing the job and it seems that the leak has stopped. Of course, I am going to buy a new radiator as soon as I get some ends.

Search for Radiator Classic on ebay. I bought mine from them. Very affordable and a good product so far.

My fans were not turning on, on my 3.0 galant and it was the Coolant temp sensor. Just wanted to add that in case you run into anymore problems with them.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

Quote Originally Posted by wright06jhs View Post
    My fans were not turning on, on my 3.0 galant and it was the Coolant temp sensor. Just wanted to add that in case you run into anymore problems with them.
    Well the fans dont seem to turn on as fast as I think they should. I mean, the temp has to go almost 3'4 of the way up before I hear them working.
    Where's the collant temp sensor at and how do I replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by 732Galant View Post
    Search for Radiator Classic on ebay. I bought mine from them. Very affordable and a good product so far.
    Thanks. I would look into that.

Well the fans dont seem to turn on as fast as I think they should. I mean, the temp has to go almost 3'4 of the way up before I hear them working.
    Where's the collant temp sensor at and how do I replace it?

Its there circled, all you have to do is wait and let the car cool down. Drain a little of the coolant out from the drain on the botton of the radiator. its screws in, so unplug it, unscrew it and replace. Refill the coolant that you took out.

Thats what i did atleast, there may be a "better" professional way to do it.

Its there circled, all you have to do is wait and let the car cool down. Drain a little of the coolant out from the drain on the botton of the radiator. its screws in, so unplug it, unscrew it and replace. Refill the coolant that you took out.

Thats what i did atleast, there may be a "better" professional way to do it.
    Thanks, good looking out. Althought I noticed this is a V6 you have right?
    Is it the same on a 4 cyl?

Thanks, good looking out. Althought I noticed this is a V6 you have right?
    Is it the same on a 4 cyl?
    There in the same area, not exactly the same. Just follow the top radiator hose and you will find it. It should be the only sensor attached to where the metal coolant/thermostat housing is.

all of these are good answers..I had trouble like this before..burnt collant like crazy..my fans turned on when they felt like it...it does sound like it may be a temp sendor prob..i dunno..mine ended up being the fan clutch...it engages the fans when the temp reaches the certain point...when ur fans kick on....do they seem weak..are they pulling ok? ...jst making sure...hope all goes well..I have been there bud..trust me....car steaming and me swearing...and my friends complaining about riding with the windows down to keep the engine cooler than with a/c....that car was a lemon...glad it went to the grave....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast