The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What would make the rpm jump(flicker) ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

What would make the rpm jump(flicker) ?

I replaced mass air flow, distributor,optima battery,radiator,exhaust,no leaks on exhaust,just got it put on,new wires,distributorcap ,rotor,iac motor,hoses,plugs nkg v,ignition switch,o2 sensors, egr, engine coolant sensor,always change oil, new short ram air filter,,all new vaccum line hoses, fuel filter, two much money and two many to list. It seems every time I stop or have the ac on Ithe rpm flikers and i feel the engine stutter,till I gun the gas pedal feels sluggish on take off and first thing in morning. I been working and searching on the net and buying parts related to this problem and still no luck. its bugging me and I hate to ask but i dont know what to do. Lat code it through it was p 170 fuel trim malfunction. I traced to mass air filter or exhaust leak i replace maf sensor and today just got my header put on after four months and it still doing that sluggish feel. I replaced the iac motor thinking it was the problem. I' pretty sure its not the throttle position sensor. cleaned throttle body. I 'm clueless any suggestion i'm breaking the bank and no lucjk everthing i changed and replace on car but engine and trans which will be in the future. I do tune up ever since i got it last year. I have come a long way. I love this car to death and have so much work and fun with it. I really enjoy this board and the people on here and its so amazing at what you all do to these cars. I love it. Soory to nag but if you could maybe steer me in the right path again. Thanks!
    Southern Isolation

Looks like you covered a lot of the areas that could be the problem...
    I know its natural for rpms to drop a little when the ac is turned on but if the car is also feling sluggish when acellerating, I would check the cap and rotor/sparkplugs and wires...

How is your idle? I would check the egr vacum module thingy's along your firewall as wel... I remeber when my car felt sluggish, these are things I tried...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Quote Originally Posted by phizzalot View Post
    Looks like you covered a lot of the areas that could be the problem...
    I know its natural for rpms to drop a little when the ac is turned on but if the car is also feling sluggish when acellerating, I would check the cap and rotor/sparkplugs and wires...

How is your idle? I would check the egr vacum module thingy's along your firewall as wel... I remeber when my car felt sluggish, these are things I tried...
    Plugs,rotor,cap,all fine what lil things on the firewall all vaccum lines are new. I replaced them. The egr solinoid.the red plastic one. i dont know where to get it they dont have then in the auto stores. I cleaned egr valve it works.thanks anyways for the suggestions. nICE RIDE!
    Southern Isolation

TGC Regular
    try your alternator.... You might want to either upgrade it or get a new one. Im having the same problem with my g.

I just changed the alternator a few months ago.
    Southern Isolation

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Do an engine vacuum test. With a fuel trim malfunction it could be vacuum leak causing the pcm to compensate with more fuel, as it adds fuel the rpm will climb, then drop as it realizes that it has added too much fuel.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

i replace all new vacum lines on it. seems like might be the throttle position sensor.
    Southern Isolation

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    let me know if you gonna buy one.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

can you do a vaccum test yourself?
    Southern Isolation

i'm probly going to by one at the end of this month or next. tps 130 at autozone. mine has never been changed since i bought car,plus it only has one screw holding it on the other ones missing. I ac motor is new. i have so much money in it its not even funny. only think that could happen is the trans and engine. would love to convert rear disk turbo,doh cam head,etc. no money and the parts are expensive,plus i've nevre messed with an engine or trans,turbo,to do the stuff. it has 193000 miles on it and still runs great when it wants to. Thanks for all the inputs so far guys. my enterior lights or fried the who harness,so at night i put leds on the dash to see my gauges. i know thew work enterior because i ran it to the radio lst month after they were fried taped a bunch of them up. dash probly needs to come out but that looks like a bitch. to put in.
    Southern Isolation

Why are you throwing so much money in just parts into the car man. There are ways to test pretty much everything you have replaced. A TPS doesn't just need to be replaced at a certain interval, read the resistance on it and compare it to spec.

Just because you replaced all the vacuum lines does not mean that it can't still have a vacuum leak. My recent one came from the gasket between the upper and lower manifold. You can get leaks from everything from cruise control, to the throttle body mounting to where the intake manifold meets the head.

I dont know how to check plus i see changing parts a good thing in the long run,just my opinion. it still needs to be replaced.
    Southern Isolation

how could you easilt trace aleak,instead of replacing all the gaskets and lines?
    Southern Isolation

plus i dont know how to check for the voltages and what they should read. i searched and still cant figure out how .
    Southern Isolation

should i let a mechanic look it over?its my only ride, plus i dont have the money.
    Southern Isolation

its like it want to hesitate on a stop or take off in first.then its fine or when air is on its idled at 750-800 should i go up on it? It maybe my short ram messing it up or the mas sensor,code read 170 after every 25 miles and sometimes i can drice like 100 to 200 miles long distances and it wont do it or show mil code till i get back in the city and drive sppeds of 55. its almost like the faster i accelrate the better it runs. it has a weird feel whendriving sppeds of 45 or lower. ;like the fuel hesitates ,i guess hard to describe and explain. thanks for the input so far guys and sorry to bother you.
    Southern Isolation

hey, i have a 7G, but the only time ive noticed what you are saying is when ive disconected the battery on my car, then the comp needs to relearn everything. but you could have a vacuum leak. 98 percent of the time, when i see cars come in for a problem like that, its a vacuum leak somwhere. vacuum leaks can cause major headachs lol. but as far as testing for the leaks, my shop has a SNAP-ON product that pumps smoke into the manifold and if you see somke, bingo, lol. but there are other ways to check too.
    98 Galant ES
    Current Mods - To many to mention here.
    Future Plans - 4G63T swap and 5 speed swap
    Big Thanks To YOU ALL for all the help you provide

Thanks man. what are some other ways to check for vaccum leaks?
    Southern Isolation

i tighten up all the exhaust bolts intake bolts and throttle body. I cheched mu vaccum lines again and just about everything else. I could see. Could it perhaps be the throttle body postion sensor is faulty or not in th correct position. What about the fpr,fuel pump or fuel injectors have never been replaced,the mass air flow sensor was used. I just put headers on it with my short ram intake could the excessive heat cause it to do that. I need to buy a lower timing cover on it and install my water pump but i dont want to mess with the timing belt. i just had it and the balnace shaft replaced by a tech last year.
    I'm going crazy trying to find the problem and no luck so far. Aggrevated.
    Southern Isolation

Do you have a digital volt meter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast