The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How much HP can an A/T handle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31
    Moosh

How much HP can an A/T handle?

Hi. I have a 98 Galant, with A/T. How much horsepower can it handle safely? I am getting close to installing a turbo on it (small 16G). How much boost do you recommend, and how much HP will it theoretically yield at crank with the amount of boost you recommend. Other info about my turbo setup is 450cc injectors, warlbro 190 fuel pump, 1g bov, a lot of 2g stuff including manifold, o2 housing, and intercooler. Thanks.

Alister_McRae
    An A/T can handle alot, if its bullet proofed and upgraded. More so than a M/T. My brother has 89 GT mustang, that has 560 hp, and he said he would rather have A/T cause with that much hp, if you have a manual, you will rip it apart like no other, and you will go through transmissions really quickly. I've also heard this from alot of guys who race professionally (drag race) I thought at one time M/T were the best, but when your dealing with tons of tourqe, A/T is a better way to go.

Moosh
    Do you know how much an A/T handle if it is stock? How many PSI would you recommend? Thanks

NOSMAN7G
    Talk to spyder4G64 about the turbo. He's most likely know how much boost you can do stock. He's the only one I know with the 4G64T as of now. I'd say about 6-8 psi stock.

Senior TGC Member
    As for the 99-03 autos I think it's generally agreed that it's around 270-290 hp before it REALLY stresses the system out. Dunno about the previous generation Galants.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

its not really the horsepower that breaks stuff, its the torque that you get when you start goin with forcefed apps .
    [email protected] <- '01 ES V6 (detuned for daily commutes)

Black '94 Audi S4 soon RS2'd running 28 psi
    Chipset [X]|Injectors[X]|Turbo[X]|RS2 Manifold[X]|Bosch 3-BAR MAP[X]

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    I would say the 7g tranny could hold no more than 8psi before the tranny lets go, same with the 8g guys. Without tranny modifications our A/T's wont hold up to the power.. I know just about every guy in here would love to have a M/T because it can handle a lot more of the stress, your talking about at least 10psi on stock components.. The only reason why i would keep my A/T is because one i just had it bulletproofed with a TC, and because you get consistent times on the track..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Spyder4G64t
    Quote Originally Posted by NOSMAN7G
    Talk to spyder4G64 about the turbo. He's most likely know how much boost you can do stock. He's the only one I know with the 4G64T as of now. I'd say about 6-8 psi stock.
    No clue on Automatic trannies, however. I've got a 5-speed.

TurboGalant
    My T25 blew my stock A/T.
    Took a few months, but it went. While I was traveling out of state, for the holidays...shredded the planetary gears. Was cheaper to get another tranny than to try to rebuild it. So I got a Level10 tranny and TC upgrade. Still paying on the loan that made it possible. But having alot more fun driving my Galant than just looking at it.
    I was running 6-8 psi.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TurboGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>My T25 blew my stock A/T.
    Took a few months, but it went. Â*While I was traveling out of state, for the holidays...shredded the planetary gears. Â*Was cheaper to get another tranny than to try to rebuild it. Â*So I got a Level10 tranny and TC upgrade. Â*Still paying on the loan that made it possible. Â*But having alot more fun driving my Galant than just looking at it.
    I was running 6-8 psi.</div>

Damn the lil T25 blew the AT, that had to suck especially during the holidays.. I know your loving the new tranny.. I have the TC and my AT is bulletproofed, im having tons of fun with it..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Moosh
    TurboGalant, how much PSI are you running now or did you get rid of your turbo?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    id sasy our 7g automatic slush boxes can handle about 200-210hp....if that. ur best off either doing a 2g manual tranny swap(i know lots o work) or level tenning it cause our trannies wont allow us to run crap for PSI...

i still do not know what i am going to do tranny wise...most likely getting a level ten kit even though i really want a 2g 5spd

good luck on ur swap man, mines comin up quick to...must plan!
    7g for life!

leadfoot
    i have a link to the level 10 web site and i went there and looked up some of the part tht they have for the galant, i was looking into the T/Q and the "bullet proof tranny" with those two thing's i was hoping on running a quad system and a turbo(hopefully 12 psi) also i dont know how much hp/tq the engine can withstand please give me number's so i can start doing searches on the forged pistion's ect.

thanks

Moosh
    Doesnt it say on level10's site that the tranny rebuild kit allows for up to 750 hp?

i just found this tread.
    This is actualy for TurboGalant. It seems that 7 g auto trannies are weak, cuz i remeber firend of mine blew his, just because he was shifting manually the car. The 7 g trannies are different than 8gs though.
    I have been running turbo for a year now, usually 4.5 psi, sometimes cranked it to 8 -9 psi and i have no problems with it at all.
    Also, i am shifting manually, downsifting, launching it, and no problems whatsoever.

I got the tranny cooler though. But that's about it.
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

i am not sure bro, but i would think it would take it ok.
    Just a 25 shot sounds good.
    Check out my ride at:

how much do you guys think will that improve my timing??? about a half a sec??? maybe less?? all i want is to keep up with my friend and he drives a g35, he steps on the gas and hes gone... with me behind...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

at first i thought u were talking about ignition timing, then as I read it further i realized u asking for gains.
    I think ( i am not sure) that 25 shot on all motor car will give you about 15 more wheel horspower at the most. You will accelerate litlle faster, but not enough faster to keep up with g35. Their basic engine is 3.5L 260 hp V6 and better one is 3.5L 280 hp V6 .
    Check out my ride at:

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    should be able to run a 65 shot on stock 7g internals and tranny

our tranny is good for ~200-210hp(pulling numbers from my butt) but thats what i hear all the time...
    7g for life!

redboy
    well i am planning to do a engine swap with mine(guess which one). i was planning to keep my tranny and just put the 63t right no top, u think i should swap the tranny too??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast