The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The best turbo setup?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

The best turbo setup?

Okay, i am not looking for anything real fancy. I would like to keep the stock head on my 2002 2.4. My question is: Who has the best turbo setup on the 4g64 (not DOHC)?

I am looking for parts and plan on doin a lot of shoppin and i plan on going thru all of the engine and replacing things that need it. It has 115,xxx plus miles and i dont want anything fancy. Not looking for a shit load of power, just something to give her more pep. Any help would be great! Thanks.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

go with the Evo setup and stay on low boost, parts are easy to find so that wont be an issue plus many members here have the setup. Questions whats your budget looking like? You want more pep, do the 5 speed swap it makes a big difference, that might just satisfy your urge instead going all out on an turbo kit.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Well, the 5 speed is already in the works. Im in the process of gathering parts for it now. Dont really have a budget to stick to since this is something that will be bought over time while gathering and researching parts. So just go with the Evo turbo and manni? that should be easy enough. LOL What about the interior parts? Thats what i am worried about the most. Should i go ahead and replace the rods and pistons and everything?

If your staying under 10psi, you wont have to replace anything. I believe QNZ is at 12psi and hes stock motor, just need a good solid tune. Im at 6psi and it was like day & night, i plan on going to 11psi shortly.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Keep in mind QNZ is also using a $1000 engine management system. Accuracy and complete control of the tune helps a ton with reliability, especially on a stock engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Right, i understand all of that. But my question is since my car has 117,000 miles plus, would it be a good idea to turbo the internals? Or should i replace them now?

So... what do you guys think? Should i get new valves and pistons and everything or is it ok to turbo the engine with 117000 miles on it?

not to mention QNZ does not run his car hard often or at all haa.. I think hes running 13psi. Paul is 10+ psi .. From day 1 ive been running 12 psi and up-- 16psi for 1 year on 14b and 12 to 15 psi on my 16g.. Tuned myself(i dont know what im doing).. Do a compression test if it comes out good just turbo it and replace things when they break.. If you want more than 16 or so psi and u can build her than y not.. I would venture to say its how hard u run ur car and your engine management that will help it last. IF you turbo and never race or track it then i would say it will last a long while with as he said a good tune and engine control.
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathansgalant View Post
    not to mention QNZ does not run his car hard often or at all haa.. I think hes running 13psi. Paul is 10+ psi .. From day 1 ive been running 12 psi and up-- 16psi for 1 year on 14b and 12 to 15 psi on my 16g.. Tuned myself(i dont know what im doing).. Do a compression test if it comes out good just turbo it and replace things when they break.. If you want more than 16 or so psi and u can build her than y not.. I would venture to say its how hard u run ur car and your engine management that will help it last. IF you turbo and never race or track it then i would say it will last a long while with as he said a good tune and engine control.
    like he said. im at 15psi with an evo 9 set up, and im using e-manage blue and re-flash. been boosted for 8-9 months now on stock internals and car runs like a champ. i dont drive the car to hell and i dont race anyone on the streets, mainly cause i only go to work and school, barely anytime to do anything else, plus i whats the point in racing in the street, i turboed this car for my enjoyment and love for this platform, not to race and have something go bad and blow my engine. i probably do 2-3 WOT runs a month just to remind me of what my car can do, and let me tell you i actually get scared sometime of how quick this car moves. 40-100 comes so fast it amazes me sometimes what a little boost can do, and it reminds me that i need to upgrade my brakes cause these single piston calipers aint cutting it no more. i guess evo brakes and in the works for the future.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

^+1
    ^+1

Nothing i can add that hasn't been said
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Quote Originally Posted by whokilledhoughes View Post
    like he said. im at 15psi with an evo 9 set up, and im using e-manage blue and re-flash. been boosted for 8-9 months now on stock internals and car runs like a champ. i dont drive the car to hell and i dont race anyone on the streets, mainly cause i only go to work and school, barely anytime to do anything else, plus i whats the point in racing in the street, i turboed this car for my enjoyment and love for this platform, not to race and have something go bad and blow my engine. i probably do 2-3 WOT runs a month just to remind me of what my car can do, and let me tell you i actually get scared sometime of how quick this car moves. 40-100 comes so fast it amazes me sometimes what a little boost can do, and it reminds me that i need to upgrade my brakes cause these single piston calipers aint cutting it no more. i guess evo brakes and in the works for the future.
    wow thats sound like a good set up.... hey paul make a new video vs ure rsx type-s friend... i wanna see how ure 8g turbo runs now...!!! plz... lol.. cuz the last time u were beating him until he turn to 3rd gear i think... anyway..im askin u that just to give an idea how much power u can get with ure set up....!!
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    wow thats sound like a good set up.... hey paul make a new video vs ure rsx type-s friend... i wanna see how ure 8g turbo runs now...!!! plz... lol.. cuz the last time u were beating him until he turn to 3rd gear i think... anyway..im askin u that just to give an idea how much power u can get with ure set up....!!
    well my friend got his RSX stolen and it was found stripped out comepletely...that what he gets for making a honda fast...o well...anyways i would blow the doors off him if he still had it.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

This thread urge me to TURBO my car! =)
    Last edited by Galante; 05-14-2009 at 02:13 PM
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

Well, thanks for all of the info. I will take everything into consideration. i guess my first step is a compression test!