The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Viper alarms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33
    Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar

Viper alarms

Im looking at purchasing the viper 5301 alarm and remote start from best buy. I was curious if anyone has had best buy install that (or any remote start) on their 8G. Im trying to find out how much the additional costs would be for installation.

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    u need a spare key and a bypass which will run you about 50-60 dollars and they will prolly charge you around 20 to install the bypass so expect to spend an extra 80-100 (thats basic retail store prices) as i used to work at both best buy and circuit city as an instailler

thanks zigen!

I actually just priced out on remote start/alarm systems.

Seems that just a security system is pretty cheap; however, if you would like remote start installed by a retailer, expect to pay $250-$400 depending on the brand due to the fact that they need that bypass.

the one i want is 350, plus 80-100 for install, so your figures are pretty close

theres a bypass module you can buy on ebay so you dont lose one of your keys. i ended up paying like 550 for the alarm, the bypass module and i think a relay or two. its the same system i have on my car and i love it

I had it installed in my car about 3-4 years ago by my friend who worked there.... Since then, he's only had to replace one thing,I think the alarm battery, but other than that its worked perfectly.

I did have to give him a spare key and an extra 20 bucks for another piece that my car didnt have.

u only had to pay 20 dollars because he either used a relay and wrapped it around your key ( RETAIL STORES WILL NOT DO THIS UNLESS THERE SOLD OUT OF THE BYPASS OR YOU HAVE A HOOK UP) or he gave u emp price on the bypasss.. so expect to normally pay more then that

yeah i dont want to be giving out a spare key, so ill just pay for the bypass.

80% chance they wont have that bypass in the store n tell prolly tell u u cant get one but then again thats a completely diff area then what i worked in so good luck.. they may make u order it

thanks zigen, i still need to save up a few more bucks so I might do some other mods before this one.

JAC00BLKES
    oh i just to let you know the 5301 does not have a full on viper alarm system
    it just has the panic and car finder.......(if you get the installer to hook up the horn honk...the bby i went too said the galant was easy so they didn't charge)

if you want an alarm you need to jump up to the 5701

oh and bby does sell bypasses but its the one that requires the spare key
    i just gave them my valet and am got another from a local locksmith

hope this helps

but the cool thing about viper is that you can always add pieces to the systems later

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    yeah i dont want to be giving out a spare key, so ill just pay for the bypass.
    sorry if i wasent 100 percent clear but you need a spare key and bypass for the bypass usually sold in retail stores like that

ive got a viper w/ remote start and i LOVE it. It comes with a box that i have located by my fuses that i can easily remove the key if needed with 4 screws.

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigenScarface View Post
    sorry if i wasent 100 percent clear but you need a spare key and bypass for the bypass usually sold in retail stores like that
    I see! I can get another key made thats no bid deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JAC00BLKES View Post
    oh i just to let you know the 5301 does not have a full on viper alarm system
    it just has the panic and car finder.......(if you get the installer to hook up the horn honk...the bby i went too said the galant was easy so they didn't charge)

if you want an alarm you need to jump up to the 5701

oh and bby does sell bypasses but its the one that requires the spare key
    i just gave them my valet and am got another from a local locksmith

hope this helps

but the cool thing about viper is that you can always add pieces to the systems later
    Ill look at the 5701, i thought the one I was looking at was full range. Thank man.

Quote Originally Posted by therev View Post
    ive got a viper w/ remote start and i LOVE it. It comes with a box that i have located by my fuses that i can easily remove the key if needed with 4 screws.

~Gabe
    Gabe which one do you have?

i have a python 460hp on my 7g, i didnt have a chipped key so i didnt need the bypass nor was i doing remote start .. but no matter what brand you get chances are the bypass used is going to be DEI branded..
    this is that it looks like

key goes in the black box with 4 screws,
    little black circle coil goes around key cylinder
    and the harness u only need red (12v) black(ground) and blue( "-" output when remotestart is activated).. these 3 wires will run to the remote start its self.. hope this makes it clearer as well.. if you have n e more questions lemme kno!

JAC00BLKES
    yep thats the one i have in my g
    and yeah sometimes it can be confusing because the remotes of both the 5301 and 5701 look exactly the same

but make sure you find an installer thats cool if you do go to best buy so they don't charge you all those annoying fees for rear defrost, horn honk all that

but if you want to save money you do get the status led so ppl do think i have an alarm because the led flashes so bright

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    there is a new bypass from DEI that works with the new DEI remote starts to where you don't need keys for the bypasses anymore, just a module.

edit: what year is your car?

2001 es v6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast