The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dash Lights connected to Radio?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Dash Lights connected to Radio?

I recently replaced my stereo with an aftermarket Sony. I made the mistake of including my father (a big "do-it-yourself"er), and he demanded I let him install it rather than have it done professionally.

Anyway, he gets all the wires hooked up to their appropriate counterparts, except for the illumination and dimmer wires (which the new radio doesn't accommodate).

So now I have sound, but no dash lights. Is the entire dash light system wired through the radio? I believe he left those two particular wires unattached. I'd like to be able to fix it myself, but if it comes down to it I'll have someone else do it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Those two wires dont need to be connected if your stereo doesnt have them. It will work fine without them.

The easiest thing to do first would be to check the fuse. (I forget which number it is) It will tell you in the car's manual which fuse it is for the dash lights.

Something makes me wonder if those two wires havent been insulated properly. A piece of electrical tape over the end of each will do, otherwise they may ground on some metal part of the car and blow the fuse. Also if the battery wasn't disconnected during installation could have shorted the dash lighting circuit, blowing the fuse.

I think you'll find this easy to fix. I hope you get it sorted soon.
    Last edited by Gtsnapper; 05-10-2009 at 06:39 PM Reason: Edit

It almost sounds like you blew a fuse. The wiring harness that attaches to the stock harness comes with those wires installed on it. if they are not taped up and instead left to bang around they could make contact with some metal on the car and blow the dash lights fuse. The only thing you may loose buy not being able to hook the stock illumination/dimmer wires back through the aftermarket radio is, control of the dimmer knob. But it will not cause your lights to go totally out on the dash.

Ricky, you are having too much fun with that picture...

yellow fuse holder under the hood fuse box.