The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

Help!

so yesterday i took off my brake drums to paint them, and i did it pretty late at night, so i went to sleep, and i woke up early to put em back on, but they wont' fit, and i (now realizing it was a huge mistake) put the brake on and a good amount of fluid was dripping, i heard it could be that the brake cylinder broke or somethng, and i have to go to work today, HELP!

I would suggest that you get new rear brake hardware, install it. Then bleed the brakes.

Out of curiosity, did you press then brake pedal with the rear drums off the car?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    I would suggest that you get new rear brake hardware, install it. Then bleed the brakes.

Out of curiosity, did you press then brake pedal with the rear drums off the car?
    yea i did press the pedals. i know it was a huge mistake right after i did it >.>
    and does autozone sell new drum brakes with equipment? i start school tomorrow so i can't really go for the good stuff online...

oh and i got one drum brake cover back on, i just need one more...
    Last edited by Volta Pikachu; 09-22-2011 at 03:22 PM

Ok, worst case is new hardware and new wheel cylinders. But, no autozone won't sell a complete package kit, though you could buy it all separate.

bah, alright, thanks! i have to run down to autozone now, so ima need this stuff right?
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...69_29834_3559_
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...68290_0_10969_
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._180169_10964_

and im assuming i need special tools right? i hate to be a bother, but do you know the names of what i need to replace the shoes? XD

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Rear disc swap it
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You should not have to replace your brake drum unless it is too far worn or scored. As long as the drum is not scored I'd just reuse it. When you stepped on the brake pedal it pushed fluid into the wheel cylinder and that it turn pushed the brakle shoes out far enough that you could not put the drum back on. Being you had brake fluid on the floor the most likely thing that happened is you popped off one of the wheel cylinder rubber end caps and that is where your leak came from. If you have not already replaced the brake parts you could open the wheel cylinder bleed screw and push the metal ends back into the wheel cylinder. Now make sure the rubber caps on the wheel cylinder are properly seated. Next attempt to push the brake shoes in and then see if your brake drum will fit on the wheel. Once the drum is back and the wheel cylinder bleed screw closed step on the brakes and bleed that wheel cylinder. One other important thing: be sure you have no grease or brake fluid on the brake shoes or the inside of the brake drum. If you have grease or brake fluid on either of them get brake parts cleaner and clean them up. BTW brake fluid will damage paint. If your brake parts are worn, go ahead and replace them. As long as the brake drum is smooth inside and clean you probably don't need to replace it. Last thought, I alway replace my brake shoes in pairs. I.e., replace the shoes on both sides of the car at the same time. You do not need to replace the wheel cylinder on the other side unless it too is damaged. Autozone is good about loaning you speciality tools to do auto repair. They charge a deposit but give it back as long as you return the tools.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

okay so i replaced the wheel cylinders, not the pads and then i sprayed it with break cleaner, and i bled the fluid earlier today, and now when i press the brakes, its like there is no pressure unless i repeatedly pump it, then the brake light is on as if my e brake was set, and i noticed that when i pull it its like there is no pressure now,
    also i just put in the brake fluid, so how long should it take to circulate?

You should bleed the entire brake system in the following order:

Right Rear
    Left Rear
    Right Front
    Left Front

Make absolutely sure that you aren't leaking fluid anywhere. As importantly, make sure the master cylinder does not run dry of fluid.

If the brake light is on and no pressure at the pedal, check for leaks. Press the brake several times while watching the fluid level. Then look under the car for the leak. If none, bleed the whole system. Brake fluid doesn't exactly circulate, it's a hydraulic constant. The fluid needs to be in an enclosed system with no air in it or pressure leaks to work properly. Lastly it could be the master brake cylinder failure...

i changed the master cylinder on both rear brakes, :/
    so i should just bleed everything? dang, i hope i have enough leftover brake fluid, i have about a fourth of the big bottle i bought,
    and i checked for leaks and it seems fine, no leaking as far as i can tell,
    although i did notice that when i hit the breaks the pedal (or something else i guess) makes a sound like air is being pushed out (like when you use a bleeder kit, that kinda sound)
    what im really worried about is the parking brake v.v
    and i had to call off work today...and tomorrow i start my second year of college so i can't afford not to go... >.<

oh and could i just use the brake fluid that came from the bleeder? XD it's new anyways

I would start with the bleed procedure I suggested. That may be all you need to do. If it still persists with pressure problems, let us know.

alright so to bleed em (just to make sure i do it absolutely right, i attach the bleeder to the screw type thing [the one in the middle of the two screws that hold the brake cylinder in] and then what, do i get another person to hit the brakes? or should i just try bleeding it? also i never bled the front calipers, is it the same?)

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and chances are the whole system isnt new unless you bled it for ever seemingly as it's a good amount of fluid to get there. And hygroscopic means it absorbs any water in the system so you can't reuse it.

I honestly think that a rear disc swap is easier and then more servicable in the future
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    Brake fluid is hygroscopic and chances are the whole system isnt new unless you bled it for ever seemingly as it's a good amount of fluid to get there. And hygroscopic means it absorbs any water in the system so you can't reuse it.

I honestly think that a rear disc swap is easier and then more servicable in the future
    i wish that i could but right now i don't have the time :/ i have work and first day of school tomorrow, so i needa get this done fast, although in the future i'd wanna do it

Also, never pump the brakes when bleeding unless there is no pedal as all you end up doing is compressing the air bubble and not moving it but dispersing it when you crack the bleeder.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

If you get the parts it would take about 2 hours to swap
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

so i don't do anything and just get the bleeder right? same for the calipers???
    and you know, i actually am REALLY interested now XD but i don't have much experience, unless someone lived near me who knew how to do it, or i guess i would otherwise wait til i learn more (or i could go to the junkyard and test it out and see how it goes XD)

where are you from?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast