The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The dopest around...

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

The dopest around...

So I'm thinking about buying a galant.

I found a 2003 with 101,000 miles. It is a turbocharged 4G64. It has custom paint, it has racing seats, apexi digital controls, exhaust, etc.

The guy wants $3500. Is that a good deal?

I'm going to check out the car later on today.

If everything checks out okay should I buy it?

Banned
    Don't buy a pre-customized car. There is absolutely no way you can know if the previous owner and/or tuner knew what they were doing. No way you can know without completely tearing it apart.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Don't buy a pre-customized car. There is absolutely no way you can know if the previous owner and/or tuner knew what they were doing. No way you can know without completely tearing it apart.
    X2 on this one Tj...The only way I would buy an already modified vehicle is if I had the time and money to do a full tear down of everything. For the majority of people who modify their cars out there very few actually take care of the stuff like it should be.

The deal may be "good," but I would plan on spending at leat another $1500-$2000 on possible repairs/other work that was overlooked or done improperly. You could easily find a nice unmolested Galant for that price or less depending on the mileage/condition. I paid $500 for mine, it wasn't anything pretty to look at but initial investment is practially nothing at all.

automatic tranny? what size turbo? do you know how to fix things if it breaks? Turbo cars have more parts that could possibly break than a stock car.

buying a used car is already scary cuz you dont know the history. buying a modified car is an even bigger concern. then that cheap of a price would throw up even more red flags.

Banned
    I'd stay away from that. Good way to really tell is if the turbo is actually a T04. If it is, then at least the owner kind of sort of knows what's on the car. If it's actually a T3/T04 then stay far away because he hasn't got a clue. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then definitely stay away.

yes it is automatic, and no i don't know much about fixing cars
    but....

the parts alone are worth what he is asking.

If i check the car out and everything seems like its in good condition, and i offer him $3000 and he accepts.

then would it be a good deal?

ok I see that u r excited and ansioux to have a turbocharged 8g... warm, qnz and all the ppl who posted bfore gave u their opinions and they said that is not a good deal bcuz this guy has some reasons why to get rid of his project.... and could be that he spent alot of money and still getting problems with this... so u have to know that if u install a turbo in a not turbo engine the risk to blow ure engine will be higher.... I dont know what u should do cuz honestly I could be like u "EXCITED" but good luck with ure decision...
    PS: Im not saying that u should get it, just remind u what ppl who did the turbo project in their car said.....""""""
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    usually when someone sells a turbo'd car with a t series turbo for under 6k, its not properly done and its one of those ebay "t" turbos...

I wouldn't do it bro... it's really not worth it because...

1. You have no idea how much the other guy put into it... and I don't mean money, I mean care.

2. Like everyone has told you, you can't be sure of how perfect his mechanics were when he did them.

3. It's a lot more fun to do it yourself.

1 - you get what you pay for and

2 - the guy who is selling it cant spell worth a damn

highly doubt he is super educated and did his homework on these installs.

just as an FYI you can get a similar stock ES with NOTHING done for around $2500. Think about it, you really think there are no problems buying that baby at 3k? Also, save up some cash and do it yourself. If you want something done right, you know who needs to do it!
    I dont need to post my mods, i know i got the hottest galant in tally, and thats all that matters to me! http://photos.yahoo.com/fsubk

maxrezn
    HOLY CRAP

You live somewhere around Baltimore? I test drove that Galant. A Hispanic guy is selling it around Dundalk. DO NOT BUY IT. DO NOT BUY IT. DO NOT BUY IT. It is pure junk. A gasket pertaining to the turbo needs to be replaced, it has clear coat failure, dozens of dents, trashed interior, HORRIBLE SUSPENSION. It was a nightmare to go through speed bumps with that car. It also shakes violently upon start up. Don't even test drive it. The guy was a liar too. He was claiming that the shaking was normal for turbo charged cars. Don't waste your time on this one please.

Quote Originally Posted by maxrezn View Post
    HOLY CRAP

You live somewhere around Baltimore? I test drove that Galant. A Hispanic guy is selling it around Dundalk. DO NOT BUY IT. DO NOT BUY IT. DO NOT BUY IT. It is pure junk. A gasket pertaining to the turbo needs to be replaced, it has clear coat failure, dozens of dents, trashed interior, HORRIBLE SUSPENSION. It was a nightmare to go through speed bumps with that car. It also shakes violently upon start up. Don't even test drive it. The guy was a liar too. He was claiming that the shaking was normal for turbo charged cars. Don't waste your time on this one please.
    i have seen it in person too. it passed by my car and i vomited.

complete junk!

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Did anyone get a look at those headers in the under the hood picture? dam things look like a welded mess. I wouldnt even work on the car for the guy who is selling it, let alone buy it from him.
    Last edited by 01blackG; 05-19-2009 at 08:23 PM