The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Spray & rinse wheel cleaners?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 66
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    See... you guys don't do a ton of hard braking. Trust me, when you wash your car every other day, it's worth it just to have a quick wheel cleaning agent. If I went without cleaning my wheels for a week, they'd be dark grey.
    Mild soap and water is still the way to go, trust me on that.

any other suggestions on brushes to use? my rims get staind with road stuff/tar and i need to try and scrub it off without scratching

p.s. don't
    Last edited by Rayth; 05-17-2009 at 09:36 PM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Mild soap and water is still the way to go, trust me on that.
    Sorry dude, I disagree. Just finished washing both cars and using a wheel wash is a huge time saver. I may change my mind once I'm rocking new wheels on the Evo, but for now this stuff works great.

It did require scrubbing, but cut cleaning time in half. My normal wash soap just doesn't do shit to the brake dust on the Evo.

Behold.

At first, yucky...

Then clean!

On the Evo... a lot of brake dust buildup between the spokes at first.

Then after a light brushing with the Meguiar's

I like the stuff. I spent literally 1-2 minutes on each wheel and they came out great. I was very thorough in spraying them down afterward, however.

Highly recommended, with a fine-bristle wheel brush: Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. FTW

im with Dave on this one. mild soap and water works best for me.

the biggest thing is to keep them clean. if you let all that brake dust coat the wheels for a month then expect it to be stubborn to remove but if you keep your wheels cleaned regularly then you shouldn't have any problems.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    im with Dave on this one. mild soap and water works best for me.

the biggest thing is to keep them clean. if you let all that brake dust coat the wheels for a month then expect it to be stubborn to remove but if you keep your wheels cleaned regularly then you shouldn't have any problems.
    I have to clean the wheels on the Evo every few days. Otherwise, the brake dust would start etching the finish on the wheels. It's a pain, must be the stock brake pads.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    thats my problem that I guess i was trying to address initially by buying a spray and wash cleaner. I don't wash my car or wheels often enough and the brake dust becomes stubborn, but if I had a spray and wash set i would more than likely use it every 2-3 days if it actually worked to keep the buildup from beginning in the first place. if that makes sense.. looks like it works, so I will try it out, thanks all

For my DD, I took Dave's advice and switched to Akebonos, and now soap and water, once in 2 weeks, works well enough to remove whatever little brake dust I accumulate (which is mostly invisible anyway)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    thats my problem that I guess i was trying to address initially by buying a spray and wash cleaner. I don't wash my car or wheels often enough and the brake dust becomes stubborn, but if I had a spray and wash set i would more than likely use it every 2-3 days if it actually worked to keep the buildup from beginning in the first place. if that makes sense.. looks like it works, so I will try it out, thanks all
    I'll be trying some wheel wax as well once I get new shoes for the Evo. I'll have to see how it works...

actually, I may try applying some of my Meguiar's NXT 2.0 on the stock Evo wheels while they're nice and clean.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i have chrome and i use meguires chrome cleaner and its a foaming stuff and it leaves all this white shit on my calipers and drums. any tips on what i should switch to???

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Experienced TGC Member
    DO NOT USE A BRUSH ON YOUR WHEELS.

Would you take a brush, and brush around the road dirt on your car? NO! You'll ruin the clearcoat. Using a brush on wheels with dirt particles on the surface is the quickest way to bring about swirl marks and deteriorate your finish.

1-Hose the wheels down with cold water
    2-Fill a bucket with carwash soap and water
    3-Wash the wheels by hand using a MICROFIBER cloth/sponge
    5-Apply a coat of Polish or Wax to the the wheels
    6-Let that Polish or Wax dry to a haze
    7-Remove the Polish or Wax with a dry/slightly damp MICROFIBER cloth

Everyday, just take a dry/slightly damp MICROFIBER cloth and wipe the brake dust from the wheels. Ive been doing this lately, and its much easier than cleaning my chrome wheels before. I can literally wipe the brake dust right off of the wheels. Not to mention Ive got a seized caliper in the front, with semi-metallic pads and a somewhat warped rotor. A nice coat of wax on your wheels will go a loooong ways.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    i have chrome and i use meguires chrome cleaner and its a foaming stuff and it leaves all this white shit on my calipers and drums. any tips on what i should switch to???
    Use carwash soap and water, and wash by hand. LoL. Every wheel cleaner Ive ever used has left that water spots, or some other colored residue behind. Especially when you let that cleaner come into contact with a hot wheel, or brake component.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72Galant View Post
    Use carwash soap and water, and wash by hand. LoL. Every wheel cleaner Ive ever used has left that water spots, or some other colored residue behind. Especially when you let that cleaner come into contact with a hot wheel, or brake component.
    Never wash your wheels when the brakes are still hot... JFC

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    i just washed my car and i just used one of those pressure washers that you throw the quarters in and you hand wash it, then i used some black magic to make them shine and they look pretty now!

holy fucking shit, that dude must make some serious cash washing cars for 5,000 pounds a car
    Last edited by showtime; 05-18-2009 at 02:16 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    Anyone have a recommended spray and rinse wheel cleaner product? I already know i won't want to hand wash my new wheels all the time... looking at this product.. any feedback is appreciated

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...sp?itemid=1003
    There is this stuff called good old elbow grease, not to be mean about it, but i have been at this a long time and have never been able to buy any product that does what it says, so get you a little stool set it in front of each wheel and get to work. they always look good after that stuff.
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

Experienced TGC Member
    ^^^ A few minutes of elbow grease now will save your wallet from grief later.

Arel, just saw the wheels in the other pic thread. Looking good.

Banned
    Enough.

There are plenty of pH-neutral cleaners that aid in cleaning your wheels. Using a fine-bristled brush is FINE on your wheels if you're simultaneously using a lubricating cleaner. Detailing spray, fairly concentrated soap+water, wheel cleaner, etc. Brush your wheels without first apply a clingy lubricant, and you'll be sorry. And always spray out the brush between wheels. Common f-ing sense. I've always done it this way, and I will continue to even after I put $3000+ wheels on the Evo.

Experienced TGC Member
    Arel-No cleaner works better than carwash soap and some water. EVERY wheel cleaner Ive used has left spots all over the surface of my wheels. Ill admit, those spots would be magnified seeing as to how i have chrome wheels. But IMHO, id invest money into a good wax or polish for your wheels. Once youve got a nice coat of wax on those wheels, you can literally clean the wheels by wiping the brake dust off the wheels. Id also recommend putting a nice coat of wax on once a week.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out for you. User testimonies are always great.
    Last edited by RedGalant2k1; 05-18-2009 at 09:40 PM

I've used all sorts of wheel cleaners, and never have I had a better and cleaner wheel than with soap and water. In fact most wheel companies suggest simply that.

Btw, here is what is in most wheel cleaners:
    http://whatsinproducts.com/informati...83aebf65c9b48c

Phosphoric acid 007664-38-2 10-15
    Poly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl), alpha-(4-nonylphenyl)-omega-hydroxy- ,branched 127087-87-0 2-8
    Hydroxyacetic acid 000079-14-1 1-5
    Propylene glycol butyl ether 005131-66-8 1-3
    Ammonium hydrogen difluoride 001341-49-7 1-3
    Water 007732-18-5 55-70

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast