The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Just an idea

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Just an idea

Has anybody thought about putting the paddle shifter setup from the new lancer on a 7g? I was passing one yesterday and the idea hit me. Is there any big problem with this working on our cars?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    putting paddle shifters on the 7G auto tranny is like building a space shuttle around a blender made in mexico
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Really! I have never think i can make a space shuttle around a blender that is made in Mexico.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Its completely pointless and a waste of time and money. The paddle shifters in the lancers are electronically controlled and the wiring is totally intergrated in the the ECM.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kamenfaiz View Post
    Really! I have never think i can make a space shuttle around a blender that is made in Mexico.
    it was a mediocre analogy. i was saying that trying to get any more precision or performance out of a 7G automatic transmission would require the second coming of christ. hooking up paddle shifters would be like forcing a turtle to outrun a cheetah by pumping red bull directly into it's blood. you would get about three feet and then the thing would explode
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Much better Matt! LOL funny bastard

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

I though about doing it to a manual 8g at one point, and i still think i can make it work. The one problem i was faced with was the automatic cluch that i'd have to rig. Looking at the diagrams from bmw for the smg i've come to the conclusion that the pump they use to presurise the clutch slave cyl is wayy to much money. Basicly its a waste.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

Banned
    There was a company at one point making TCU upgrades for the 7G. I cannot remember their name for the life of me. Anyway, they had some kind of paddle-shifter add-on available as well.

I made a post about that TCU a while back, but they came up with it after I went 5spd.

I still think that it could be cool to try out on a 7g auto trans, but I would get some work done to the auto transmission before the tcu is added...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    There was a company at one point making TCU upgrades for the 7G. I cannot remember their name for the life of me. Anyway, they had some kind of paddle-shifter add-on available as well.
    I think that company was called TCU-GO or something along those lines.
    Light em up.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Doing this on a stock auto tranny is pointless. Doing this on a built auto tranny is actually a cool idea.

TCUgo used to make a kit that plugged into your stock TCU harness and had paddles.

http://www.tcugo.com/

But their website is gone now?
    7g for life!

Right on, It was just a thought. Peano I like the turtle analogy. funny shit!

TCUgo has been out of production for years. The only current dsm model is http://www.roadsurge.com/ . The owner has said multiple times that he would look into it if someone provided him with wiring diagrams, but like already stated...the stock 7g auto tranny isn't exactly gonna hold out long.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe