The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: pressure wash?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar

pressure wash?

There is a car wash a few blocks away and they have a pressure wash machine that is self serve, the kind you put the quarters in and you do it yourself. Anyways is it safe for me to pressure wash under my hood? I want to clean it up before I do intake and HID's.

Experienced TGC Member
    I wouldnt do it. Your best bet is to use a garden hose with low pressure.

You dont want to run the risk of disconnecting any vacuum lines, or getting water into places it shouldnt be.

Buy yourself some Engine Degreaser, follow the directions carefully. And you'lll be pleased with the results.

Banned
    Don't even take water to your engine bay, especially one that has seen many years and miles. Connectors and wiring are waterproof from the factory, but don't stay that way forever.

Just get a citrus degreaser, dilute it a bit, and detail the whole engine bay by hand. You can follow up with a wet cloth to clean up.

Simple GReen + Wire brush works wonders on your engine bay.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    sounds good, thank you for the advice guys! Ill post a pic sometime tomorrow when im finished.

I've used a pressure washer but only for the degreaser and I use the soft rinse and spot free rinse under the hood, as long as you take your time and don't pull the trigger you should be good, cover your air filter if its exposed.
    02 Galant GTZ stock
    00 S10 Bagged on 20's Suicide Doors 5 link and control arms, more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    There is a car wash a few blocks away and they have a pressure wash machine that is self serve, the kind you put the quarters in and you do it yourself. Anyways is it safe for me to pressure wash under my hood? I want to clean it up before I do intake and HID's.
    Some of these guys must have tried it and had bad experience. I dont mean to diss anyone.
    Any how I am not saying to do it, but I am not saying you can't do it. But what i will do to my car from time to time is take it down to the do it your self car wash. I use their engine cleaner they have, if they dont have that i use the wheel cleaner. I will first spray it on the engine and the compartment and then wash the car while the hood is still open. Then when I go to rinse the car down I just blast the engine bay off also. I spray it from a distance of about a foot and a half or more. Also i avoid directly spraying the intake, belts, alternator, manafold, and spark plug caps/wires. The only problem I have ever had is a squeel from the belts because they were old and the water made contact with them.

If the car wash cleaner is not powerful enough to break down the greese then use this stuff called engine gunk, then spray it off with water. It works great.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    I get so nervous spraying under my hood... battery terminals, intake, HID ballasts.. so much shit to go wrong from 1 quick burst, but i have oil alllll over my valve cover. needs to get gone asap

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Don't even take water to your engine bay, especially one that has seen many years and miles. Connectors and wiring are waterproof from the factory, but don't stay that way forever.

Just get a citrus degreaser, dilute it a bit, and detail the whole engine bay by hand. You can follow up with a wet cloth to clean up.
    I'll quote myself again. This is what you should do. No drawbacks except it'll take a lot of elbow grease.

fxcoaching
    i think there are many car wash station that offers best services