The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g Galant Vs Pole with Pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 44

Icon9 8g Galant Vs Pole with Pics(updated 6/9/2009)

Well after recently lowering my 8g with Tien s springs, upgradng to KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks all around, 17" rims, and putting in brand new tires. Plus labor costs.
    (All of which got 3months or less of use.)

My 8g hit a pole,cornering probably at 60mph and braking straight into the pole.(not sure exact speed of impact) (ya stupid I know)

I have a high deductible with Geico, and they still won't repair it. Saying the costs are more than 80% of the car based on their pricing value.
    So after all said and done, I'm not getting much from insurance company.
    I've been trying to get them to repair it, but no such luck.

Surprisingly my airbags did not deploy.

Mechanically I was able to reverse out of the pole, and drive half a mile to the nearest parking lot with no performance issues or handling, other than radiator leaking and fan blades clicking.

Body shops are quoting me 4grand to repair.

I am buying my car back from geico to try to recoup some costs/repair.

I really want to make this drivable again as I've had this car since 9600 miles and been using full synthetic for its life, did timing belt changes etc, serviced pretty much everything. Was expecting to have this car last me another 85-90k.

I think al lit needs is bodywork(the hard $ part) and a new radiator/fans.

What do guys suggest. Perhaps someone local in South Florida does bodywork on the cheap.

images to come
    Last edited by surtak; 06-09-2009 at 09:41 PM

dont know how to make it smaller

PICS UPDATED 6/9/2009

Tried to get a underside shot, it was starting to rain so didn't have time.

Last edited by surtak; 06-09-2009 at 09:37 PM

how the hell do you hit a pole head on cornering?

By accelerating
    No it was tight residential street, was pretty much showing off to a friend showing him the new suspension etc. The pole was positioned at the apex of the turn, I twas two immediate left turns, The car didn't hold to the road, just locked up and slid straight in.. I didn't want to hit the car parked just to he left of pole, so when I saw it wasn't going to stay on the road and about to go into car I panicked
    Happened so fast not 100% sure of the science.

lesson learned.. get a GTZ if the car is written off.
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

Sorry to see your loss buddy, this is what your going to do. You insurance company will not fix it... that's a total. Check my old threads.. i have one just like it. I took it to my own shop, I totaled it myself :( i honestly tried left and right, but the damage was too much, I had to write it off.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34896

4000 is actually the cheapest I have ever heard. I would have told you something like 7000 but that's also Canadian currency.

Look at this the brighter way... DO I HEAR JDM CONVERSION?!

your rad support needs to be changed, buy a used one from a junkyard and trim it.... get the heads, get the whole front end... and I'm sure you can get it for about 1500. AND THEN get the shop to adjust it all explain to them the minor modifications that have to be done to put it all back in place, and get it painted.. it'll possibly cost a little more. but it's the best time to do it :)

I wish i would have though about it when i got into my accident. Now i regret it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    ouchy.

Doing 60mph on a residential street? Man I say junk the car. Your ass needs a pair of roller skates. Sorry for the damage though. Hope you get it worked out.
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

Thats too proper. I'm looking for an ultra cheap fix. Use this as my secondary car, for work.

The car is considered a wreck. I'm buying it back for $500 with a certificate of destruction from state of florida. Because of the pratically brand new shocks and wheels.
    Mechanically the car is solid.

I would need to get it recertified to get a clean title in the future.
    I mean cars can bend back cant they :)
    Not looking to invest any more mods into it, just make it drivable enough to be recertified .

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Man that car is pretty beat IMO, it'll never be the same. If you want to save some money just buy a Galant that needs an engine and swap your engine over with all your performance parts. If you do most of the work yourself minus the engine swap shouldnt cost too much. Def cheaper than $4G's. Than scrap your car to the junkyard. Cars do bend back, but they're never the same. The labor for fixin that will cost you more than parts will...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    dont fix it, just get a new one.

welcome to the wonderful world of understeer... would you need a clean title even if you never plan on selling the car or could you just fix it up enough and drive it without getting it recertified?

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    nice job...if you would of done this a month ago I had a OEM replacement bumper 02-03 would gave it to u cheap but I threw it away ....look for people on craigslist for paint but if your looking cheap start learning how to remove body pieces and basic mechanic work..

Doesn't look worth fixing. Sorry. Buy a new G cheap, take the parts you want and transfer them, sell what's left in good shape from the wrecked one. You'll come out much better that way.
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Yeah with our cars any front end collisions will damn near cause the insurance companies to total them out. I recently did something similar to my G & they totalled it. I bought it back for $50 & is in the process of being reborned.

For $50? Must have been more wrecked than mine.I mean it should look ok if I could bend it back bondo the inside. I'm willing to spend about 1k on it, not to make it showtroom..but runnable.
    GEt a hood from junkyard with bumper..get hood pins to hold it down..Frame bent back enough to hold reinforce it try to weld it myself.
    I wasn't expecting so many junk it replies.
    SkylineG1, any tips sicne your restoring yours?

I really don't think you should junk it lol...

Im' telling you bro.. rad support arent too expensive.. get a use one... just buy a whole front clip. I bought one from new york, imported it to canada, and shipped it to toronto for about $1300

and all you gotta fo is strip and build :)

From the pics you had the whole front replaced. Or did you just use it for parts. That piece for $1300. What about labor?

Quote Originally Posted by surtak View Post
    From the pics you had the whole front replaced. Or did you just use it for parts. That piece for $1300. What about labor?
    well do the labour yourself lol... i did mine. all i paid was parts and paint.

I used it for parts.. the only welding done was the rad support replacement. once you get it right.. all you gotta do is slap fenders and bumpers on lol.. it's rather simple man.

correction, YOU hit a pole, not YOUR CAR hit a pole...lol..all joking aside, glad you and your passenger are OK first and foremost...

from experience, any front end damage changes the car completely. mine was a 1/5 that bad and the car never drove again after my insurance co. DID repair it!! who knows, you might even have frame damage, which then can lead to axel damage, alignment issues, etc. And these are just SOME of the less mechanical savy issues. unless you plan to not use this car much, I would not go the route of fixing it. If it is going to be a project car that only gets brought out one night or two a week, different story. but in my opinion, just get a new and let it go. it will save you more headaches and you will rest assured there is nothing else wrong that you may have missed....
    I dont need to post my mods, i know i got the hottest galant in tally, and thats all that matters to me! http://photos.yahoo.com/fsubk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast