The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g Galant Vs Pole with Pics

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 44
    its not as bad as most think. I see a radiator support that will need replacing, possible motor mount in the front, and hood and bumper and it should be drivable(from what I could from those big ass pics lol)

60 MPH?!? Did you think just because you installed some suspension, you can now defy the laws of motion? Unbelievable. Consider yourself lucky that there was pole there, not a kid on his tricycle.

I have a 99-01 bumper and brand new radiator support I will sell you CHEAP if you are interested.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surtak View Post
    For $50? Must have been more wrecked than mine.I mean it should look ok if I could bend it back bondo the inside. I'm willing to spend about 1k on it, not to make it showtroom..but runnable.
    GEt a hood from junkyard with bumper..get hood pins to hold it down..Frame bent back enough to hold reinforce it try to weld it myself.
    I wasn't expecting so many junk it replies.
    SkylineG1, any tips sicne your restoring yours?
    Parts you will need:
    Hood
    Rad support
    front bumper
    front bumper support
    grill

most important a good bodyshop

These guys are great for good parts on Ebay
    http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Quality-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
    Last edited by SkylineG1; 05-22-2009 at 10:31 PM

the rad support yes... but also check your rad itself to make sure there are no cracks lol... it looks like you broke it in 3.14 :)

pie...

Quote Originally Posted by surtak View Post
    By accelerating
    No it was tight residential street, was pretty much showing off to a friend showing him the new suspension etc. The pole was positioned at the apex of the turn, I twas two immediate left turns, The car didn't hold to the road, just locked up and slid straight in.. I didn't want to hit the car parked just to he left of pole, so when I saw it wasn't going to stay on the road and about to go into car I panicked
    Happened so fast not 100% sure of the science.
    If your car isnt holding you accelerate slightly and dab the brakes dont lock up I slid 90 degrees into a curb almost hitting a tree in snow I learned my lesson. If you brake hard you will lock and slide cars brake best while tires are still rolling so keep em rolling if you lock release brakes till you feel tires rotating again turn the wheel and accelerate a bit so front end pulls out and hold brakes slightly with left foot to slow down.

Sorry it happened, but cars have limits know those limits before you try to impress someone. Ive seen worse fixed so good luck. The job shouldnt be too bad u

need radiator and radiator support. If you can get the radiator support off yourself that will save a lot of money cause replacing isnt too hare. possibly fans or fan housing. front bumper front bumper cover hood and whatever else was damaged headlights fenders and such. sounds like engine and tranny were fine which is good.

You sound like you dont really care about the G you're only willing to spend 1000 or so to fix it. Just leave then. There are guys on here with faster or nicer cars that would spend a year just fixing the G little by little and you want some ghetto hood pin fix? Buy it back part out the good parts and move on if you really dont care.

Oh and you posted in the wrong section. Graveyard is where this belongs.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 05-23-2009 at 02:13 AM

You sound like you dont really care about the G you're only willing to spend 1000 or so to fix it. Just leave then. There are guys on here with faster or nicer cars that would spend a year just fixing the G little by little and you want some ghetto hood pin fix? Buy it back part out the good parts and move on if you really dont care.

Oh and you posted in the wrong section. Graveyard is where this belongs.
    This is why I said to junk it. If you care about the car, keep it and fix it properly, but that can't be done for $1000 or less. My G has been wrecked 3 times, and the last the insurance wanted to junk it. Each time I take their money and put a lot more of mine in, and my car comes out better than she was before. But then again, I could never let my car go, she's been thru too much with me.
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

yeah.. if you don't wanna fix it like you should.. then dont..

if you don't... part out...

if you part out... I WANT YOUR WHEELS :)

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterbyfilms View Post
    This is why I said to junk it. If you care about the car, keep it and fix it properly, but that can't be done for $1000 or less. My G has been wrecked 3 times, and the last the insurance wanted to junk it. Each time I take their money and put a lot more of mine in, and my car comes out better than she was before. But then again, I could never let my car go, she's been thru too much with me.
    The day I will let my car go is when its not possible to bring her back there is a certain point where I call the line like if I got hit by a semi or something.

But something like this I would be out in my garage right now cutting the hood off the hood release and taking it off

Thanks for all the tips guys. Average is right, it's not as bad as most of you think, just the rad and radiator support will be the hard part. I don''t even think I will need new mounts.

I think I will end up rebuilding it.

Menace: How much for both? Id imagine shipping will be expensive to Ft.Lauderdale?

03-Galant-ES: Will keep that in mind :) Yea my galant has seen a lot of terrain, and owned for just about 7years now. Still don't want to let it go. But I am on a budget, and require a car for daily driving.
    I did end up buying a used car for now, cause my job is heavy vehicle dependent.
    A 1.9t 4cyl TD04H-14T Turbo ed Volvo with Upsolute ECU(the price was right). It's faster than the 8G stock, But it's nowhere near as sexy as the Galant :)

Sent out pics to a few ppl advertising body repair on craigslist. One guy claims he can do it all for $1400.

"Good Morning, I can do the repairs for $1400.00. This includes parts (hood, bumper, right headlamp,radiator and right fender) materials (base coat paint, urethane clearcoat etc) labor and towing.From what I've seen, I do not think you have to replace the radiator support but the car does need to pulled on a frame machine (which we are equipped with.)so that everything can be alligned."

There's almost no way for someone to tell you exactly how much it would be to fix that without seeing it in person. The paint is gonna cost 1/3 of that price.

On the topic of the car issue, I don't think a faster car is what you needed. I agree with a post above, you need a pair of roller skates. I drive like an asshat and I haven't ever done 60 around a curve on a RESIDENTIAL road...

I'm surprised that people haven't chewed you a new asshole for this one... Just sayin

1 accident in 10years of driving. It happens, circumstances may not have been the greatest. It was late in the am, on a street I know with a bunch of foreclosed homes. One car still parked on corner. Just never that fast. I still stayed in my lane on the turn.

Now heres the issue. I am actually interested ion repairing for 1400 if this guy is for real.
    But Geico will only issue me a certificate of destruction.

"If the estimated costs of repairing the physical and mechanical damage to the vehicle are equal to 80 percent or more of the current retail cost of the vehicle, as established in any official used car or used mobile home guide, the department shall declare the vehicle unrebuildable and print a certificate of destruction, which authorizes the dismantling or destruction of the motor vehicle or mobile home described therein. "

"The insurance company may, upon determining that the vehicle is repairable to a condition that is safe for operation on public roads, submit the certificate of title to the department for reissuance as a salvage rebuildable title and the addition of a title brand of "insurance-declared total loss.""

FL statute is 319.30

Seems that unless I get them to issue me a salvage title, or someone knows of a legal way, perhaps to re register a car in another state? I might be out of luck.

I guess since you had full coverage on the car that the insurance company is gonna tell you what you are gonna do with YOUR car? That sucks. I would think that you could decide if you want to total it or keep the car yourself and not file a claim.

I am guessing you already filed the claim for repair?

Yea I still hold the title.
    Geico pays me claim - my $1000 deductible and buys the car from me (by me accepting the payment)

Then I get to rebuy back right away with certificate of destruction(for$500). Otherwise they take the cars off to an auction and recoup costs.

I'm sure there is a way.... I see rebuild savage cars up on ebay all the time.
    Just got to find out.
    Maybe I can convince them my car is worth more to them, by putting a rubber band around the cash they pay me into the car with button eyes(from their retarded commercials), so it be worth enough for a salvage title :)

Why not just keep your car and not file a claim? That way the title doesn't get screwed with?

I have an MR2 with a tree sticking out of it lol... the guy didn't see that tree lol.. anyways.. it's a clear total, but he talked to the insurance company and told them that he wanted to retain salvage, and well we repaired it now... but I'll give him a call and see if he can explain to me exactly what he did.

I'm not sure if the canadian and american insurance law differ in any way, but Im' sure that if they do... it wont be by alot.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    dont fix it, just get a new one.
    x2

Do you guys remotely care about your cars? A little hardwork and you're willing to give up on her? I had to bite the bullet myself last year when my car got hit. They totaled it but I got it fixed and repainted for a grand.

Managed to pry the hood off.

Quote Originally Posted by AVERAGE View Post
    Do you guys remotely care about your cars? A little hardwork and you're willing to give up on her? I had to bite the bullet myself last year when my car got hit. They totaled it but I got it fixed and repainted for a grand.

Been a while since my last post.
    New pics updated in 2nd post
    Finally made it to Geico, spoke to manager etc. They refused to pay out less to make the title good., and I have to pay for the replacement car that I got for somehow.
    So I ended up accepting the cash and now re buying it with a certificate of destruction for $500.
    I managed to pop the hood open, it's really not that bad, Geico sucks in their paperwork policies.
    Did a 5second test start, car starts right up.

I have no tools or place to part it out, but will keep looking for solutions to get this car street legal (Florida road legal) again.
    Last edited by surtak; 06-09-2009 at 09:35 PM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast