The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Building an 8G Monster

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 44
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    wow thats great.......how much money can you honestly say you've dropped on this project? if you dont mind of course..
    At least $45-50k not counting the cost of the car itself. I've got right under $30k in parts sitting on it right now. I'll spend another few grand getting it exactly how I want it setup for the track.

looks real nice bro... I mean... nothing like MY G, but your on the right track :D

can't help but respect a build like that.. i actually never knew you had a 6G72 (never really thought about it)... i'll have to pick your brain if i ever decide to boost my 6G75

looks a-some.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    what is this POS??!?!?!

jk you know how I feel about your car :)
    I remember a good deal of those pictures as you were posting them too

Experienced TGC Member
    Sweet....anymore spun bearings or blown engines in the future, or did you get that figured out from all the other ones now?

Nothing like a $50K race car ha...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Sweet....anymore spun bearings or blown engines in the future, or did you get that figured out from all the other ones now?

Nothing like a $50K race car ha...
    Spun bearings will always plague high-HP 6G72's... you have to be really careful never to run too rich of a tune as the fuel spray onto the rod big end causes oil starvation. Screwed me at least once. There simply isn't enough big end or main bearing area to support a large amount of HP on the 6G72. The 6G74 is the clear choice for massive amounts of power.

Looking for the datalogs now, but I finally discovered the major issue with my piston failures was fuel starvation due to massive noise being induced into the E-Manage. Caught it on the datalog and actually fixed it by going to Magnecor wires and adding a Sun Auto grounding kit. The noise was causing the E-Manage to cut injector duty cycle to about 30% of what it should be.

There are a huge number of little tweaks in place just to make this car run... I really would like to move to an AEM EMS if I could somehow keep the car registered for recreational use.

IM speechless. awesome work. I wish I had time and skills to do what you did.

again, awesome work

GREEN is the new BLACK

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Spun bearings will always plague high-HP 6G72's... you have to be really careful never to run too rich of a tune as the fuel spray onto the rod big end causes oil starvation. Screwed me at least once. There simply isn't enough big end or main bearing area to support a large amount of HP on the 6G72. The 6G74 is the clear choice for massive amounts of power.

Looking for the datalogs now, but I finally discovered the major issue with my piston failures was fuel starvation due to massive noise being induced into the E-Manage. Caught it on the datalog and actually fixed it by going to Magnecor wires and adding a Sun Auto grounding kit. The noise was causing the E-Manage to cut injector duty cycle to about 30% of what it should be.

There are a huge number of little tweaks in place just to make this car run... I really would like to move to an AEM EMS if I could somehow keep the car registered for recreational use.
    Well at least you figured out what was causing the bearing issue...usually when I read of spun bearings I just think back to assembley/clearance issues but apparently not the case with this.

What are the state's requirements for rec vehicle registration anyways?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ASTIG View Post
    IM speechless. awesome work. I wish I had time and skills to do what you did.

again, awesome work
    thx much

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Well at least you figured out what was causing the bearing issue...usually when I read of spun bearings I just think back to assembley/clearance issues but apparently not the case with this.

What are the state's requirements for rec vehicle registration anyways?
    Well the first few times were partially due to poorly resized rods (machine shop not cleaning rod mating surfaces before resizing) and terrible main alignment and out-of-round. I've got a nice digital bore gauge I check everything with now.

Actually last I replaced rod bearings (it's routine) 2 were about to spin. The oiling system on the 6G72 SUCKS.

Well for my car it essentially has to be OBD-II legal unless I get it approved as a custom built or rebuilt vehicle. If I tube-frame part of the chassis, it would actually be fairly easy for me to accomplish that.

epic

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

kewl.. ;) Nice work man!
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

awesome car, insane amount of work man,

Banned
    Thank you x3

And future plans are going to include tube-framing the front end for drag/road racing, stripping and caging the whole interior, triangulating on the strut towers. I need a tubing bender and TIG welder before I take on that. Should be fun.

Oh, and 800 WHP for the dyno, but dialing down to whatever I find most effective for the track. I'll have a 2-stage boost controller for the strip so I can actually get out of 1st and 2nd. Probably 8 PSI, 16 PSI, then balls to the wall for the full 800. I'm going to work on the car's drag capabilities first and click off a mid-10 before moving onto making it a serious road racing car. The Evo will be my little time attack monster this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Thank you x3

And future plans are going to include tube-framing the front end for drag/road racing, stripping and caging the whole interior, triangulating on the strut towers. I need a tubing bender and TIG welder before I take on that. Should be fun.

Oh, and 800 WHP for the dyno, but dialing down to whatever I find most effective for the track. I'll have a 2-stage boost controller for the strip so I can actually get out of 1st and 2nd. Probably 8 PSI, 16 PSI, then balls to the wall for the full 800. I'm going to work on the car's drag capabilities first and click off a mid-10 before moving onto making it a serious road racing car. The Evo will be my little time attack monster this year.
    I like the sound of that.

The car is a marvel TJ!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Nice to see it all on one topic, surprised even my name popped up...telling you not give up worked i guess lol.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Banned
    ^^ thanks there Jigz *edit* and Kenny

I'm going to be getting temp tags for the car on June 15 so I have the option of driving to MOD on July 11. Until then, I'm just going to do a minor rebuild on the engine and go from there. I want to run twice at the strip to click off a low 11 and then she'll be going into hibernation for the 2010 or 2011 time attack build.

what a build...beautiful
    8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    The best build, and dedicated work I have ever seen on a galant. Awesome work man cant wait to see more power squeezed out.

Last I heard that he blew up the current motor
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast