The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Very new to car audio

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 102
    I4betterthanUR4

Very new to car audio

I've been doing some research and havnt come up with much so I'm hoping someone here could lead me in the right direction. Basically I got a new kenwood deck (kdc138) and it has two rca hook ups in the back. I got curious and couldnt leave well enough alone so I took apart some old stereo equipment I had laying around and I spliced an rca cable to wire into the speakers and I'm not getting any sound. I have all the settings set up correctly on the deck and the positives and negatives all hooked up correctly so does the speaker need an external power source or something? I thought the sub box I had was already self powered but maybe not. What kind of speakers can I buy that would just plug into the back rca outputs? I also have this big 8ohm sub that I was thinking of just splicing into the output that is supposed to go to the stock stereo into the big speaker to see what would happen. I just want to mess around with it on the cheap cause I'm not really that interested in having a bad ass sound set up or anything. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I4betterthanUR4
    Alright, I wired up a home cabinet with a sub mid and tweeter to the rear left speaker output. Do I have a chance of blowing any fuses or any other damage?

I4betterthanUR4
    I hope someone here knows that way I don't have to create another account on some audio forum that I'll only use once. Or maybe my questions are just really stupid. Here's another one to add to the list. Would it be ok to connect more than one speaker to the same output wire. Example: Two speakers wired to the front left output?

You can't hook speakers directly to the RCA outputs. They are very low current outputs used for sending signal directly to an amplifier or EQ then to an amplifier.

You need to buy an amp. I wouldn't splice RCA cables by cutting and soldering them. That is tedious. Just buy a 'Y' cable.

As far as hooking up multiple speakers, that is fine, as long as you hook them up properly. This is where series and parallel wiring comes into play and also impedance. You can't hook up the speakers to where they have too little impedance or the source won't do well.

Tell me exactly what you have and what you are doing with it. Is this stuff going in your car or is it in your house?

I4betterthanUR4
    Quote Originally Posted by youngin3 View Post

Tell me exactly what you have and what you are doing with it. Is this stuff going in your car or is it in your house?

Lol yeah it's in my car. Right now I got two subs and 2 mids hooked up. One sub and one mid connected to the left rear output and the other sub and mid to the right rear output. I got the speakers out my old home stereo cabinets. lol. The subs are either 10 or 12" and the mids are pretty small, like 5 or 6". That's as much as I know. I just wanted to mess around with this stuff and learn something new. Yeah I figured out that I gotta hook up the sub output to an amp. What about this? - Brand: VR3
    - Model: VRA2
    - Channels: 2-Channel
    - 200 Watts peak output power
    - very clean, good condition
    - comes with manual

$20 used. Good condition. Is it crap or worth 20 to try and hook it up to the speakers I got. Would it be louder than how I have it set up with right now?

That is about as cheap as they get when it comes to amps, but I would get it and hook your RCAs to it and then wire your subs in.

You have the subs hooked up directly to the radio? That has to sound terrible...

I4betterthanUR4
    That is about as cheap as they get when it comes to amps, but I would get it and hook your RCAs to it and then wire your subs in.

You have the subs hooked up directly to the radio? That has to sound terrible...
    Haha it sure does. But surprisingly better than without. It's not a permanent set up by any means.

Well, I would grab that amp and hook it up to your subs. You would definitely like that much better than how it is set up now. Hook your door speakers up to the radio on the front outputs and your rear speakers up to your rear outputs on the radio. That is the best way for you to go about this under your conditions.

looks like youngin has it all covered

I4betterthanUR4
    Alright just picked up that really cheap amp. It's actually brand new and dont think it's hot. Just curious it says 1X250 watts peak into 4ohms @ 1khz (bridged mono). Those subs say 8ohms on each one. So I know the amp wouldnt stand a chance of powering both but how would it sound powering one of them since the sub is twice the ohms? I appreciate your help youngin.

This is aside from my questions about what I have right now. I dont really care for bass, I listen to a lot of rock, (real not pussy)punk, alternative, and hardly ever rap. What would be the best way to go in the future if I want to look into different types of speakers and amps to get?

^^^To qnz, haha is that how you get your post count up to 1600?
    Last edited by I4betterthanUR4; 05-28-2009 at 05:53 PM

2 8 ohms subs wired in a parallel make a 4 ohm draw. what kind of wattage does your subs call for? i'm guessing the amp is maybe 100 watts rms

I4betterthanUR4
    Man I got a lot of research to do. So are you saying I can wire the two 8 ohm subs together and it would still sound good? what if i got two 4 ohm subs wired in a parallel that both the 4 ohm subs say 400w max. Would that be 2 ohms for both hooked in a parallel? As far as the 8 ohm subs I have no idea on the wattage. Theyre just really old subs I got out of my home theater cabinet. Anyway could I power all four (2 8ohm, and 2 4ohm subs)? lol. where have you guys mounted your amp in your g?

Any other things I should be aware of cause I'm getting my wiring kit and I'm just gonna start experimenting.
    Last edited by I4betterthanUR4; 05-28-2009 at 07:29 PM

You would be happy with the way they sound in parallel to make 4 ohms at the amp.

As far as rock goes, you want smaller subs with tight response, that way they can keep up with hard rock and metal that has double bass on the drums and stuff like that. There's not really much low bass in rock music so anything bigger than a ten is going to just make you lose response.

You have two 8" subs, right? I thought that is what you said.

If you need more help quicker, you can IM me or PM me. It'll send an email to my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by I4betterthanUR4 View Post
    Man I got a lot of research to do. So are you saying I can wire the two 8 ohm subs together and it would still sound good? what if i got two 4 ohm subs wired in a parallel that both the 4 ohm subs say 400w max. Would that be 2 ohms for both hooked in a parallel? As far as the 8 ohm subs I have no idea on the wattage. Theyre just really old subs I got out of my home theater cabinet. Anyway could I power all four (2 8ohm, and 2 4ohm subs)? lol. where have you guys mounted your amp in your g?

Any other things I should be aware of cause I'm getting my wiring kit and I'm just gonna start experimenting.
    You're saying you have FOUR subs? Can you list out exactly what you have? Subs - size (diameter), wattage rating, and impedance (resistance)?

Tell me what kind of amp you got also. That'd help.

If you are too lazy to list everything out, you can just give me model numbers and I can find specs by those.

That's too much for ya. You can just mount your amp to the top, side or back of the sub box. That is what most people do. I'm too lazy to mount mine at the moment. It is sitting free in the trunk, being held in place by the wires coming out of it.

I4betterthanUR4
    Sorry bro just got into audio like 2 days ago so I'm trying my best to keep up. Basically like I said I'm just experimenting and keeping this on the cheap. Right now I got:

*[From home stereo] these are laying around because I started messing around with these:
    2 - 8 ohm sub. unknown make, model and wattage. 15" diameter (finally measured these bad boys)

*buying from friend tomorrow:
    2 - 4 ohm sub; 10 or 12", 400w max

*havnt mentioned these yet and not interested in hooking them up yet:
    2 - 5 1/2" 6 ohm midrange unknown make model or wattage

*bought that cheap amp to start out with:
    - Brand: VR3
    - Model: VRA2
    - Channels: 2-Channel bridgeable
    - 200 Watts peak output power

Just wondering what sub/speaker combination I can set up without frying something. I know for peak power you guys will say just one of those subs hooked up to the bridged plates on the amp but is there any way I can get a combination of those speakers going without loosing too much performance or damaging something...

Alright, put your home audio subs back up. They are way too big and are probably way outdated. I don't know if they would even be able to handle the wattage from what it sounds like.

Get your friend's subs you are buying and hook them up in parallel to that amp that you have. Hook your mid range speakers directly to your radio. That is the best way to set it all up with the stuff you have.

I4betterthanUR4
    Alright, put your home audio subs back up. They are way too big and are probably way outdated.
    Damn, I was thinking bigger is better... You know how you got to talk to a kid sternly when they dont do something right, that's how I feel when I read that and I was Anyway, yeah you're right. Check your pm when you get a chance.

i would hook one sub up to each channel (the 4 ohm subs that is) if you hook both up in a parallel i'm not too sure if that amp is 2 ohm stable and you might fry it but if you leave it at 4 ohm stereo it should be ok

I4betterthanUR4
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
    i would hook one sub up to each channel (the 4 ohm subs that is) if you hook both up in a parallel i'm not too sure if that amp is 2 ohm stable and you might fry it but if you leave it at 4 ohm stereo it should be ok
    Thanks for bringing that up. How would I know if it is 2 ohm stable. Would there be any advantage of hooking them up parallel if it was 2 ohm stable?

I4betterthanUR4
    Alright, bought the two subs, turns out theyre 12" and now I need a box. Since I listen to a lot of rock should I go with the ported box? Honestly I just need a really cheap box. I dont want to spend more on the box than I did on the speakers ($25) I dont have any wood working tools which sucks cause I would just make my own.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast