The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Very new to car audio

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 102
    I4betterthanUR4
    Damn man, I cant find shit. I'm glad you guys stop me from wasting my money though.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    what's your budget? what are you looking to get? what do you have in your car right now?

I4betterthanUR4
    Budget: $150 but it would have to be a real bad ass amp. Looking for something used around $100.

Just looking for something to power my two twelves that are 200w rms 400 peak 4 ohm so something around 500w rms. I've just been hitting up craigslist all day looking for stuff and I've found a lot of junk but nothing decent.

Quote Originally Posted by I4betterthanUR4 View Post
    Budget: $150 but it would have to be a real bad ass amp. Looking for something used around $100.

Just looking for something to power my two twelves that are 200w rms 400 peak 4 ohm so something around 500w rms. I've just been hitting up craigslist all day looking for stuff and I've found a lot of junk but nothing decent.
    are your subs SVC or DVC?

I4betterthanUR4
    they are single....
    Last edited by I4betterthanUR4; 06-20-2009 at 10:42 PM

pretty sure they are single
    know the model of the sub?

I4betterthanUR4
    Yeah they are single. At first I thought they were dvc because on the back theres one line that has a colored in dot that says 4 ohm and a second line where the dot isnt colored in it says 4+4 ohms/dvc. Its just a generic sub its selenium bass 12sw2a nothing special got both of them for $20 and they both work good. I just want an amp that can deliver the most power these two can handle.

I4betterthanUR4
    So since its 500 watts x 1 at 2 ohms you're thinking I should wire them up in a paralell to get 500w? Wouldnt that be too much?

each sub is 200 watts. 200 + 200 = 400. thus 500 will be fine

I4betterthanUR4
    alright so would each one be getting 250w then? and what is the proper way to wire the subs to get 500w at two ohms?

both positives wires to the positive terminal of the amp.
    same goes with negative

I4betterthanUR4
    Thanks for the help, I was checking out reviews and I think I'm going to buy it. Had another question maybe you can help me with. I just got this box that holds the two twelves and its sectioned off in the middle so each sub has its own space and each section is ported on the bottom would that make a difference on how these cheap subs perform?

your subs would probably do better in a sealed box

I4betterthanUR4
    the box was only $20 too good to pass up. i can just seal the holes. Could you answer my question about the wire kit at the bottom of page three? I really appreciate your help.

page 3? i only have 2 pages.

but some wire kits are rated for higher water due to the amount of copper in them. for instance, rockford fostgate tends to have better ratings on theirs.

I4betterthanUR4
    Weird, this thread has 4 pages... Oh maybe you have it set to more posts show on a page than I do. I was wondering if there would be any problem mounting this under my seat and running longer speaker cable to the trunk. I know its cheap but cars get broken into left and right where I live and if the only way to get to it is by unbolting the seat I doubt its gonna get taken.

Weird, this thread has 4 pages... Oh maybe you have it set to more posts show on a page than I do. I was wondering if there would be any problem mounting this under my seat and running longer speaker cable to the trunk. I know its cheap but cars get broken into left and right where I live and if the only way to get to it is by unbolting the seat I doubt its gonna get taken.
    or someone can just take a pry bar and pry the amp up.

it's not something i would do, but if you do this, make sure you use thick speaker wire. something along the lines of 12ga

I4betterthanUR4
    It will help me sleep better at night. Is it possible to go too thick with speaker cable? I got some heavy duty 8g laying around.

remember if you have a amp under a seat make sure it has enough room for air. amps can get pretty hot

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast