The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Very new to car audio

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 102
    I have my amp for my highs under my passenger's seat. It's harder to get to and less likely to get lifted if someone was to casually break into my car.

I had a 120mm computer fan mounted to face down on the amp and it did well to circulate the air. I wired it into the switch power wire that comes from the radio, so it only ran when the amp was running.

I4betterthanUR4
    So you mean wire it up like this right?

lolz yeah

I4betterthanUR4
    I know thats retarded but I just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right. To think a month ago I was just fooling around with house speakers and now I'm buying a new amp and hooking up two twelves. Cant wait to get it. I hooked up my kill switch today.

Kill switch?

i'm guessing you mean a switch to turn the amp on and off right?

I4betterthanUR4
    A kill switch so no one can start my car. Not telling where it is or what its wired to though.

I guess thats a good idea but what about a emergency and someone had to drive your car.... i always have bad luck as you can tell lol

What's wrong with an alarm that just has a starter kill?

I4betterthanUR4
    Quote Originally Posted by youngin3 View Post
    What's wrong with an alarm that just has a starter kill?
    Nothing, except I'm flat out broke. Having something helps me sleep at night....

Quote Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
    I guess thats a good idea but what about a emergency and someone had to drive your car.... i always have bad luck as you can tell lol
    I guess I'm SOL then.

lol ok i wasnt putting your idea down or anything thats just not something i would do. but if it helps you sleep at night, then more power to you.

I4betterthanUR4
    No offense taken. But to the guy that recommended me the amp... That amp blew my fuckin subs last night... the db was only half way up and the head unit was only on 20 out of 40 the sub level was 9 out of 15 and the bass 0 out of 15. Ah I give up on audio.

Are you sure it blew them? Were you underpowering your subs?

Which amp were you using? I am confused as to which one you got.

I4betterthanUR4
    no I suppose I over powered it, I know for sure its blown cause I hooked up a diff speaker to the amp and its fine so its not the amp and when you move the cone up and down on the sub it has that loose sound only a broken sub would have. I dont know man I'm kinda bummed I think I just want to sell all my stuff and be done. I just put a lot of work in the trunk with peel and seal to deaden the rattling. Peel and seal works awesome by the way.

I blame the box I have. It is a large box that holds two 12" subs and its sectioned. Even being section there is a lot of air space in each box and since its ported I think the cheapo sub I got couldnt handle it. To answer your question I got the kenwood 8104d which pushes 500w at 2ohms. I thought they would be able to handle 250w each cause its rated at 200w rms 400 max, I guess not.

that amp shouldnt have blown the subs at the setting you had it on. were the subs new? if so i would get them replaced if they were used then possibly they were half way gone then it finally finished them.

Running cheap subs first of all, free air at their recommended rating will most likely tear them to pieces. I wouldn't give up. Why would you do that? Try and find someone near you that can come help you out in person who knows their stuff. Research a lot before you buy anything.

I read for a good year before I spent more than 100 bucks on any stereo equipment in my car. I didn't want to buy anything cheap and have it break in a week.

Patience.

I4betterthanUR4
    Thanks for the words of wisdom buddy but I don't think impatience had anything to do with it. I just dont know about box dimension requirements and air space and all that. So I just figured it should be fine. I think I'm going to seal up the ports, to me the ports made it sound worse very sloppy and unresponsive (when it did work lol) or should I keep the ports and just buy some larger subs? I am deciding to keep going with it, I was just really bummed about blowing the sub. I dont know if your remember but I only bought them for $25 for both. With that amp and box what kinda subs would you recommend? I need 2 12's and I've been checking out ebay without luck. I was thinking about kenwood subs since I already have a kenwood amp and headunit. I don't care about name brand or matching though so whatever.
    Last edited by I4betterthanUR4; 07-05-2009 at 10:42 AM

anything kicker i have never had a problem with the 12" CVR's that i have

I4betterthanUR4

My bros a audio head so if you want some good stuff he selling a bunch of his stuff... were you located?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast