The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63t swap on 8g

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

4g63t swap on 8g

hey guys is it a good idea to do a 4g63t swap or 6g72tt but the only thing im tryin to keep it FWD all the way and make massive power to the wheels lmk what u think, help me out this is the center lol...

Have fun making Massive power to just the front wheels. That seems like its going to be alot of fun. If your going to do a 4G63t Swap, do it right and go all the way.

Heres a really good example that the full EVO all wheels drive 4G63 swap can be done. Im sure it could be done on the galant as well.
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclip...ull-build.html

Also by the 6G72tt, do you mean the motor in the 3000Gt/Stealth? If so do some searching on here or on Club3G and you will get your answer on that one.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

partyman09
    Well if i was you i would just get a evo trans and engine. Anything evo 4-9 should work fine. Should bolt right up. You have to do some work to the tranny just to make it fwd. Weld up the diff,make sure you get the transfercase to because you still need that. Also make sure you get the ECU with the engine.

Could just bolt the 4G63 turbo lump in from an Evo, and use a fwd gearbox possibly out of the eclipse, sure they are fwd and they do use the 4G63 motor, that should work fine, as the 4G63 engine in any form, should take a 4G63 gearbox in any form.

Although I would be also thinking about getting the hubs and drive shafts from the gearbox donor car, as sometimes Mitisi can be a complete bugger with splines on there driveshafts, not what shafts they used in the 4G63 cars, wether they would be 25 or 27 splines on them.

As for the 6G72TT engine, its a big engine for a V6, only things I can really say about this is, if your gearbox is on the drivers side(US) then it probably wont fit in, as the 6G72 gearbox sits on the passenger side(US) so would mean that you would have to fabricate mounts to get it to fit, and it would all have to be done properly and lined up, and that will be expensive.

Also the 6G72 isnt the most reliable of engines, well the engine itself is pretty bullet proof, but the electrics are a complete nightmare and they have a habit of breaking down for no good reason, had one that killed itself after we lifted it off the floor on a set of ramps to weld the exhaust, dropped the car back down, wouldnt start it blew up
    ECU
    Alarm
    Fuel pump relay
    Fuel pump fuse
    PTU
    Something else, cant remember what though, wasnt cheap to fix

As for a lot of power with fwd, yeah you can do it and several people have done it, but I wouldnt want to be going over 300bhp with fwd as you will just end up struggling to put all that power down, and it would torque steer alot

Can he just put a 4g63t from the 1g or 2g eclipse gst(FWD)?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    only if he has a 7g, for an 8g its gotta be from an EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Thanks STEWI, I was not aware of that! I wanted to do that swap but now i no i can't!!!

The 6G72tt from the 3kGT VR4 has no hope of fitting without massive modifications. That 6G72 block is 180 degrees opposite the 6G72 in the 8G Galant. The only Twin Turbo motor that has a chance if fitting (albeit with loads of mods as well) is the 6A12tt from the 8G JDM Galant VR4. That has been tried, and it is NOT A EASY job, and NOT for those that don't have the time, money, or expertise to pull it off.

If that is something you really seriously want to tackle go right on and do it, but it would just be cheaper to import a real unmolested JDM 8G Galant VR4 and call it a day, plus be a whole lot cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    The 6G72tt from the 3kGT VR4 has no hope of fitting without massive modifications. That 6G72 block is 180 degrees opposite the 6G72 in the 8G Galant. The only Twin Turbo motor that has a chance if fitting (albeit with loads of mods as well) is the 6A12tt from the 8G JDM Galant VR4. That has been tried, and it is NOT A EASY job, and NOT for those that don't have the time, money, or expertise to pull it off.

If that is something you really seriously want to tackle go right on and do it, but it would just be cheaper to import a real unmolested JDM 8G Galant VR4 and call it a day, plus be a whole lot cooler.
    Pretty much what I said above but it would be the
    6A12TT out of a 7th gen Galant or a 6a13TT out of the 8th gen :) guess its just a typo on your behalf though

6a13tt doesn't need "major" mods to fit for v6 8g's. Someone even put a 13tt in a Mirage.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleg View Post
    Pretty much what I said above but it would be the
    6A12TT out of a 7th gen Galant or a 6a13TT out of the 8th gen :) guess its just a typo on your behalf though
    Yes, my error, I meant the 6A13TT.

Quote Originally Posted by bglocc View Post
    6a13tt doesn't need "major" mods to fit for v6 8g's. Someone even put a 13tt in a Mirage.
    Yes, it will need major mods to fit. A former TGC member Mante tried it, and it was extremely difficult to do, a he gave it up. The Mirage is a bit of a different story, and cannot be done (or hasn't to my knowledge) been done with an AWD transmission yet.

Not an amateur engine swap by any means.

Not saying it's an easy swap, the main problem is the tranny. You can bolt it up to a fwd FTO tranny, don't need to use the 13tt awd tranny, but that's the main issue. Pretty much impossible to get a FTO tranny w/o buying a front clip.

Mante's conversion list: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ghlight=6a13tt

Someone supposedly did the swap in a 3g eclipse (haven't confirmed yet), bolting the 13tt engine to an eclipse tranny.
    Mike

FTO Gerabox doesnt bolt straight up to a 6A13TT, not even a 6A13 n/a gearbox bolts up to the FTO in any form. I had a fwd gearbox for sale out of a 6a13 n/a for well over a year, tried FTO owners, they wont fit... So the Manual FTO box will not fit onto a 13TT, those manual boxes are just as hard to find as FTO ones, and they have a different amount of splines sometimes
    25 or 27.

Trying to track down a gearbox took me 6 months, I finally got one, it was wrong number of splines, took another 2 months then to get another. Correct number of splines, wrong gearbox, ratios were all wrong, even though the ratios on the boxes are mostly the same

So your saying that the auto fwd tranny from the FTO will not work with the 6a13tt? Very interesting, I thought that was a very popular swap for the FTO guys since they could use the tranny's from the auto v6 FTO, at least that's what this guy said when one of my buddies emailed him a couple years back: http://uqconnect.net/whocares/ftomore.html

And I know this guy http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955186 didn't convert his Mirage to awd.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bglocc View Post
    So your saying that the auto fwd tranny from the FTO will not work with the 6a13tt? Very interesting, I thought that was a very popular swap for the FTO guys since they could use the tranny's from the auto v6 FTO, at least that's what this guy said when one of my buddies emailed him a couple years back: http://uqconnect.net/whocares/ftomore.html

And I know this guy http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955186 didn't convert his Mirage to awd.
    the 6A13 n/a and 6a13TT share essentially the same gearbox, apart from one is 4wd.
    Now you can use a 6a13 na gearbox on a 6a13TT

Example fwd Galant V6 has a 6A13 n/a engine, you can put a 6a13TT engine into that car, and the gearbox will bolt right up, giving you a VR2.

I had a spare 6a13 n/a manual box, I asked my mate with an FTO does he want it for a manual conversion? Response is that they dont fit, otherwise I would of had a fair few FTO owners biting my arm off for it.

There is a guy with a VR4 engine in his FTO pushing silly power out(647bhp iirc) he bought my 6a13 gearbox,

Whilst the block is virtually the same, I do believe you have to modify it, also there is no point in using the tiptronic box as its sh*t, I know, I have one and I hate every thing about it.

Interesting point though, you can get a evo 5-7 gearboxes on a 6a13 with a bit of modification.

You could try mounting an auto box from an FTO up, I wouldnt see why you would want one though, there is a reason my mate put a manual box in when his auto box died

Yeah, I guess I was kind of focused on using the auto FTO gearbox with the 13tt (thinking both auto and manual would work). I guess I was wrong on my assumption that the FTO tiptronic tranny was a brickhouse.

So the 12 n/a manual gearbox will not bolt straight up to the 13tt, would that also be the same for the INVECS-II tiptronic tranny?

And the 13 n/a will bolt directly up with the 13tt? (which is interesting cause I never knew the 13 came n/a)
    Last edited by bglocc; 06-10-2009 at 07:01 PM
    Mike

As far as I know the manual nor the autobox from the FTO will bolt up,

Europe and Japan and a few others got the 6a13 n/a Galants, or the V624v exxcellent motor

Not to beat a dead horse on the head, but I just received an email back from the guy who swapped a 13tt in his FTO. He said he was using the FTO Tiptronic 4 speed sports auto box that was strengthened to take the hp from the 13tt. He said that he eventually converted it to manual. So what he's saying, both the fwd auto tiptronic and fwd manual FTO tranny's work. The 94-97 FTO's were the ones with the 4 speed tiptronic, and according to him, it will bolt up. Not trying to say your wrong, or start any shit, that's just what he said.
    Last edited by bglocc; 06-12-2009 at 05:09 PM
    Mike

Then there are a couple of members on club 3g that did the 13tt swap using the FTO tranny:

My eclipse engine is from Galant VR4 which it’s called “6A13TT”. My main problem in this project is the trans. The 6A13TT trans is 4WD and my car is FWD so I used the FTO trans “6A12 MIVEC” and it work.
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/eclipse-...e-swapped.html

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I currently run a 6A13 engine with F5M42 gearbox. the 6A13 does mate up to the FTO box, but as the rev limit on the 6A13 standard ECU is 7200 and the FTO is 8200 the gearing is a little on the low side. Ive now moved to a Galant FWD box from a Galant V6-24V which has a NA SOHC version of the 6A13. If you need any more info I can be contacted at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQ2Miae5rU
    Mike

Not sure how you strengthen an autobox. Hmmm, sure the FTO box doesnt bolt up, either way the gear ratios are all wrong aswell, you do need the FM452 gearbox to do it properly, although various differations on some of them

edit: My sprare gearbox is in that FTO, in the video ;)