The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How do I place ths springs on the clutch fork?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

How do I place ths springs on the clutch fork?

I have it disassembled and everytime I put it in I set it up to where the TOB is against the tranny. This is a pull type setup so does anyone have pics of that?

Steve

Member since October '03

Banned
    ... that's how it works. The release springs push the fork into the TOB and into the input shaft housing; pulling the TOB away from the pressure plate ring. From the outside, the fork is all the way to the engine side when the TOB is not engaged.

When I put the springs back in I had them set up this way(pic below), but if I were to push the clutch pedal, the slave would have nothing to push because it would already be engaged. How are the springs supposed to be seated?

Member since October '03

Banned
    The way you have it is correct. The TOB will lock into the pressure plate ring and the fork will move toward the driver's side. The pushrod on the slave cylinder can then push against the fork and pull on the pressure plate diaphragm.

Ok, that makes sense. So when the tranny is out of the car it will sit like that until i get the rest of the internals back in it basically? Just seemed wierd to me. It has been driving me crazy the last 2 days.

Member since October '03

Banned
    Yes when you press the transmission onto the block (make SURE to support the weight of the trans or you can bend the clutch disc on the input shaft) the TOB will engage the ring on the pressure plate and they'll lock together. You have to disengage them when separating the trans and the block.