The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: transmission problem acting funny

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

transmission problem acting funny

the other day i was driving back from work on the highway then as i get off i notice that it wouldnt let me shift into 3rd or 4th gear. i tried starting the car in the morning and if my foot isnt on the clutch the car would turn off on me.also,if i do try to start the car without the foot on the clutch it jumps forward like if it was in 1st.even though its still in neutral.anyone have this problem b4?? any suggestions?

Banned
    Your shifter linkage/cables is/are terribly messed up or you bent a shift fork...

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i concur .

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member
    from grinding gears
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    from grinding gears
    Improper shifter cable alignment and trying to force gears... Or just trying to force gears in.

What have you done to this poor transmission already?

Going to agree, or if there is a rubber whaddyamacallit on the shift fork, might have worn out, and just ended up with a bit of play in it, which would throw the fork in a funny direction, if you then tried to force it, probably bend.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleg View Post
    Going to agree, or if there is a rubber whaddyamacallit on the shift fork, might have worn out, and just ended up with a bit of play in it, which would throw the fork in a funny direction, if you then tried to force it, probably bend.
    The forks are inside the transmission.

There is a plastic cup/hat that engages one of the shift levers/arms that could be missing. *shrugs* could be a billion things. Not something people over the Internet can really diagnose for you. It's just common sense.

thanks guys....and its not common sense if u arent familiar with the transmissions and it could be a billion things

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    The forks are inside the transmission.

There is a plastic cup/hat that engages one of the shift levers/arms that could be missing. *shrugs* could be a billion things. Not something people over the Internet can really diagnose for you. It's just common sense.
    Doh, I am thinking of the lever on top off the box

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtorque View Post
    thanks guys....and its not common sense if u arent familiar with the transmissions and it could be a billion things
    It's common sense if you have the fucking transmission and linkage system right in front of your face. None of us can diagnose it over the Internet. Take it to a shop if you can't figure it out yourself.