The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brembo questions

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar

Brembo questions

I am searching up brembo's because my brakes are terrible and I wanted to upgrade them anyways. What exactly do I need for the brembo swap? I know calipers, pads, and rotors but IDK about the mounting of the evo caliper compared to our G's. BTW I have an 01 ES V6, so I have discs in the back not drums. I found a set on ebay I want to bid on but I wanted to see what else I needed, I searched but couldnt find anything :(

Wheel that will fit the calipers. You need an outside spoke wheel and also perhaps some wheel spacers.
    Love,
    Matt

The evo 8-9 b. calipers are direct fit to our backing plate. You will also need new brake lines.
    Last edited by Galante; 06-05-2009 at 01:59 PM
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

you will not need new brake lines, the stock evo lines that came with my calipers bolted right up to the hard lines on my galant, nevertheless I would recommend if you're going to upgrade your brakes, then do it all at once, I got brembo calipers, hawk pads, powerslot rotors, and SS lines. Although I'm curious, are you gonna do doing any driving where you will need brembos, ie repeated stops from high speed for a fairly long period of time? the only reason I got brembos was because I've been auto xing and am planning on doing several track days @ PIR this summer. The brembos won't really make you stop much shorter if at all, they will simply prevent brake fade because they are able to hold more heat than the stock brakes. So unless you're actually gonna use them like that, your best bet is to get some good pads (I would recommended Hawk) and some good rotors slotted only (I have slotted and drilled because I got a killer deal on those) and stick with your stock calipers, or you can get the 2 piston ones from a 99 V6 galant or a 2000 V6 3G. And you can get some SS lines for the stock brakes as well. That will be more than sufficient for daily driving and some spirited mountain road driving if you do that. Plus it'll save you a ton of money, because evo rotors are fucking expensive. Just my .02 And if you do get the brembos, your best bet for wheel fitment will be picking up a set of stock evo 7/8/9/10 wheels. I can find a set around here pretty easy, so PM if you decide to go that route, or you can buy my 350Z wheels too, they are proven to fit over brembos :)
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    I dont auto X but I always wanted to take it to firebird and have some track fun once I finish everything, I might just go the pads and upgraded rotors. I was hoping that the brembo's would improve my stopping ability not just hold more heat. Thanks guys.

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    My stopping distance is shorter than it was before my Brembo brake upgrade. I wend from stock I4 breaks to drilled and slotted front rotors and upgraded pads to rear disk swap, to now the brembo swap. Each time my braking got better. Greddy you might need to take in to account that you brake system is really off balanced because of you still having rear drums. I do agree that most of the people that do the Brembo swap will never use the breaks to there full potential, and would be fine just getting better rotors and pads. I also feel that if you want brembos and you have the money to get them................GET THEM.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

^I've had the rear brembos on for a week now, and yeah the brembos do stop shorter, but not by a huge margin, I just got them for their lack of fade after repeated heavy braking. A lot of the braking distance also has to do with tires, so you have to factor that into the equation as well.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    ^I've had the rear brembos on for a week now, and yeah the brembos do stop shorter, but not by a huge margin, I just got them for their lack of fade after repeated heavy braking. A lot of the braking distance also has to do with tires, so you have to factor that into the equation as well.
    I noticed you were running slotted and drilled rotors on the front in the photos for the wheels you had for sale. I assume you are running the same in the rear now as well.You are correct that the tires have a lot to do with stopping distance as well. Different rubber compounds, contact patch and so on can make a big difference from vehicle to vehicle.

The calipers themselves don't remove brake fading, but they do apply more braking force/pressure to the pads and essentially into the rotors. The stock calipers are sufficient for a typical production vehicle, however any driver could benefit overall from a brake system such as the Brembo upgrade. Brake "fade" comes from the glazing on the pads from excessive heat, and also from the fluid temps getting too high so you can get the sponge like feeling in the pedal as well. I am curious what pads you are running, and also if you are a 4/6Cylinder (can't ever remember lol) as I have found some interesting information so far between the two.

I have been working on something for the Brembo specs and stuff over the stock braking system. I have information put together but missing a couple things still before I post a complete "spec sheet."

I'm running Hawk pads with Powerslot Rotors

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I'm running Hawk pads with Powerslot Rotors
    Ok, I just realized I could look at your garage feature for the engine....duh lol. You are running the 2.4 I see which already answers part of the question.