The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Balance shaft for timing belt

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    TGC Regular

Balance shaft for timing belt

Ok, so the hanes manual that i have along with my shop system online says tht there is a plug that you have to remove in order to stick a screwdriver in to lock the balance shaft into place. I cant find that plug at all.... I have remove my ac compressor to try and find it and i cant. I really need help with this guys.
    thanks

http://vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html

read step 24 and view the picture.

NOTE that there is an easier way to do this. Simply rotate the mark on the oil pump sprocket until it is pointing straight up, and let it go. If the sprocket rotates towards (counterclockwise) the timing mark on the engine, the oil pump sprocket is aligned correctly. If it rotates away (clockwise) from the mark, spin the sprocket a full turn and test again, and it should properly rotate towards the mark now. Now line the mark on the sprocket back up with the mark on the engine. This avoids having to remove the rear access bolt entirely.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    IM still having a tough time locating it.... is it on the back of the motor closest to the fire wall???
    Or is it on the front my the oil filter... ive seen that diagram before its in the hanes manual... but i cant find it... thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Dont waste your time finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    You dont need to do this method. To make sure that it is in time, turn the oil sprocket so the mark is at 12 o'clock, let go, if the sprocket falls towards the crank, then its in time, you can line it up with the mark and put on the belt.

If the sprocket falls clockwise, then its out of time, turn the sprocket a full turn and try again.

For the screwdriver, the bolt should be about level with the oil sprocket and a few inches in. I wouldnt mess with it, I always do the method above.
    from

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...=balance+shaft

Search ftw
    7g for life!