The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hmm so i was thinking...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar

Hmm so i was thinking...

i have decided im going to do the 2g headswap, i have the head just need the 64 cam gears timing belt and headgasket and now i have everything to turbo the car but im holding off on that aspect for a bit.

now my plan is to do the headswap, new ecu, injectors and all that at the same time except the turbo and i was thinking it would be very wise just to go to a 2g harness instead of some repinning and rewiring.

i see no major issues with this and i just want to double check before i get a new harness

thanks
    Chris
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

out of curiosity...why use 64 cam gears instead of the 63 gears?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

i was thinking about getting a new harness too, just seems to me like the only big pain in the ass is going to be running it to the engine bay, and i dont exactly know what connectors work and which ones will need to be changed, but the cool thing is if you go with a 2g harness and the plugs are different you can just swap them with the ones from the 7g harness.

That was my thought on it.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    Its because the 63 gears are supposably in the wrong position? And cause the deck of the 4g64 is different then the 63.
    Last edited by Galant306m; 06-10-2009 at 04:09 AM

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    You can use 4G63 gears if you want. You just advance the timing advance timing 1/2 notch. IMO...I would spend the $$ and buy the DOHC 4g64 cam gears and know the timing marks are truly where they're suppose to be

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

kev i agree with you the 64 cam gears total to like 50 bucks and its worth having the correct marks

and mitch.. im pretty sure if we swap out the harness we will encounter little issues as all the connectors will be correct for the head etc.

also.. i have a 95 head and in the tutorial is says i have to use the 95-96 CAS.. this isnt the issue tho.. the issue is that i have a 98 ecu so the CAS is different and i wonder if i will encounter issues
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

it's been discussed in several topics, but the 64 deck is taller and the biming belt has more teeth. so 63 gears as kevin stated can be used but you need to advance both 1/2 a tooth.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

and changing out the whole harness is more a pain than swapping some pins. your going to have to move alot more pins to make everything in the car work. you can't run biggger injectors on stock non boosted motor.

i would hold off and do it all at once. it's going to be cheaper and easier than going back and changing stuff

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Just get adjustable gears. I got a set of AEM adjustable gears for $110 shipped on eGay a few years back :P

Chris, since you have a 96, you have the 4-pin ECU correct? If so, you just have to add one wire for the knock sensor(if you use one) and one or two for the power transistor. You have to move the 4 injector wires around and two or three more. Honestly swapping to the 2g harness is a LOT more work, you would have to rewire the fuse box.

Keep the Galant harness, follow JiPs ECU swap tutorial, be done in less then a day :P

As for the CAS, that I am not sure, you will have to do some searching on DSMTuners. I know there is a difference between a 1g and 2g CAS, but I was running a 98 GSX ECU and then a 95 EPROM ECU on a 1g CAS with no problems. I would assume the CAS signal is the same no matter what year 1g/2g. The only difference between a 1g and 2g CAS is that the 1g CAS is adjustable.
    Last edited by seth98esT; 06-10-2009 at 10:43 AM
    7g for life!

If you have a 96 or later 7G I would recommend just repinning the few wires like Seth said. 94-95 is a whole other bag of worms.

I would also like to add that the 1G CAS also house the crank sensor, where as the 2G has a standalone crank sensor like the 96-98 7g. Also the positioning of the 95 CAS is different in comparison to the 97-99 2g.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Swapping Harnesses is easy, I pull mine out in 15 min. The issue here is addressed to the connectors after the ECu going to the dashboard and instrument cluster. If the wires are different then you may get short somewhere and fry the ECU. IDk if someone can verify if Eclipse and Galant have the same connectors after the ECU
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Swapping Harnesses is easy, I pull mine out in 15 min. The issue here is addressed to the connectors after the ECu going to the dashboard and instrument cluster. If the wires are different then you may get short somewhere and fry the ECU. IDk if someone can verify if Eclipse and Galant have the same connectors after the ECU
    from what i remember behind the dash it's diffrent. even the gauge cluster is connections are

ok so its easier to just repin the connectors alraight.. now the 95-96 CAS is completely different from the 97-99 as the 95-96 cams have a little cut out on them for the sensor.. my main issue is if the 97-99 ecu will work with the 95-96 ecu.. i looked over the headswap tutorial and saw nothing really about concerns of ecu years so who knows, i might be ok.

another question. i was planning on putting in the ecu, injectors, dohc, and the safc all at one time and run it like that for a short time before the turbo.. i know the ecu will compensate for the turbo but i can pull fuel so it doesnt flood or should i just do the headswap first by istelf and do the rest later
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Like I said, Ive used a 95 and 98 ECU with the same CAS with no issues. If the 2ga CAS signal was different then the 2gb CAS signal, then one of those ECUs would not have worked with my 1g CAS.

With 450cc injectors and no turbo, I dont know how well the SAFC can pull back fuel trims. Just leave the injectors out of the equation until you are turbo. They take 15 minutes to wire in and arent required for the headswap.
    7g for life!

I think it doesnt matter what year CAS youre gonna use - one is plastic, the other one has metal housing.... The difference in between 90-94 and 95-99. 90-94 has both crank and cam shaft sensors, and 95-99 has only cam sensor. The other difference is that 90-96 CAS cam signal has opposite polarity than 97-99 and if you want to use 90-96 you have to swap the injector pins 1 for 4 and 2 for 3 /cylinder wise/. All 95-99 ECU are compatible with minor mods, all are OBD2

If you want to run 2g ECU with 450cc w/o turbo youll need the MAFT. IDk if the SAFC can do it. As you said youll be running very rich and you low and some mid RPMs will be very shitty
    Last edited by mko; 06-11-2009 at 05:17 PM

Build Thread

Damn, Seth said it before me

Build Thread

i know they arent required for the head swap so i guess i will leave them out of the equation for now.. i will look more into it but if i can use the 95 head and CAS with the 97-99 ecu then i will be set
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

and thanks for the help guys
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Yes the ECU will recognize the signal regardless. Although CAS positioning changed the ECU's did not. (minus eprom :P)

And yes the SAFC would perform the same task as the MAFT mko, although the SAFC is out of production if I'm not mistaken.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bmore303 View Post
    Yes the ECU will recognize the signal regardless. Although CAS positioning changed the ECU's did not. (minus eprom :P)

And yes the SAFC would perform the same task as the MAFT mko, although the SAFC is out of production if I'm not mistaken.
    alright thats what i was thinking after what seth said... and the safc is still in production as the safc neo and it now has a VTECH controller in it, but id rather have an SAFC 2 as i dont need the vtech controller and the cost is like 350 for the neo
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast