The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G I4 Valve cover removal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

8G I4 Valve cover removal.

I just recently replaced the valve cover gasket and plug seals. I noticed there aren't any tutorials on valve cover removal with pics. So I decided I'd make one.

Tools needed
    10mm socket
    12mm socket
    10mm open end wrench
    spark plug socket
    long extension
    flathead screwdriver
    BFH (only if needed)

First you want to take the coilpacks off. Use the 10mm socket to remove the bolts holding them to the bracket and carefully pull on the coilpack itself and the plug wires. If this is your first time taking them off, it is possible that you might need to tug a little harder as they will be a little stubborn but be careful and make sure you don't rip nothing.

next you want to use the spark plug socket and remove the spark plugs.

Now you will notice the throttle cable bolted onto brackets on the valve cover. remove the bolts with the 10m socket.

Next is the line going to the power steering. It is held onto the valve cover with a 12mm bolt.

Now towards the back of the engine next to the intake manifold are the bolts that hold the harness to the valve cover. Remove these bolts by using the 10mm socket and put the harness aside to get it out of the way

Disconnect the line from the PCV to the intake manifold

Now you can either do two things, unbolt the top screws for the upper timing cover and work around it, or you can completely remove it by taking the 3 12mm bolts and one 10mm bolt out.

I just took it completely off, saves me the hassle of having to work around it.

And then now you want to take the I believe it's a ground plate off of the right side rear corner of the valve cover.

You can use the 10mm to take it off. Mind you, you can't get to the bolt on that corner for the valve cover without removing this.

Now it's onto the valve cover bolts. You can use the 10mm socket to remove these. There are six total, one in each corner and one in the middle front and one in the middle rear. You will be surprised of how easy they come off. They are not torqued down as tight as you would think.

The valve cover won't just come off as soon as you take the bolts off. I had to tap the valve cover with a BFH.

After a couple of taps, I took the flathead screw driver and pried up on the valve cover. Don't just start prying anywhere because you will warp the valve cover easily. Go to the timing side of the valve cover, you will see the round part of the valve cover and you can pry under that. Should come off easily.

Now the valve cover is off.

Take the flathead and once again pry the gasket off. I stuck that screwdriver into the middle hole on the gasket and pried up to get it off. Use the gasket itself for leverage NOT the valve cover to avoid warpage. Mine came out in one piece and the valve cover didn't have any residue whatsoever.

The plug seals were suctioned into the valve cover so I just pried with the screwdriver carefully to get them off.

Replace the gasket and seals, then put it all back together. Putting it back together is easy. Just work backwards. lol Make sure you don't overtighten the valve cover to prevent leaks. I just hand tightened them 'til they stopped. Then turned it like a 1/4-1/2 turn.

well, hope this helped.

This is what my motor looks like now.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

nice tutorial!
    mean a$$ face too

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Bro Great Tutorial
    03 I4

Great tutorial man, very well done :)

great tutorial, but u dont have to remove the spark plugs to remove the valve cover

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    great tutorial, but u dont have to remove the spark plugs to remove the valve cover
    yeah, but I was changing them anyway and happened to take pics. lol

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Great work.. i gotta do this soon lol :)

NICE! Engine looks hott too man

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Nice work man! I need to do this too, just been procrastinating ;P
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    this is going to come in handy. i need to change the gaskets you showed in the inside of the cover...
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Nice job, and very well shown how to do.

Damn, i wish i had this when i PAID to have mine done. I even got on here and asked what i was doing wrong, but nobody helped. I never took the bolts out for the timing cover cause i wasnt 100% sure that it wasnt going to loosen the timing gear (or whatever). I am trying to teach myself about the car. I just need some help from time to time. LOL
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

im going ot take mine off tomorrow or friday. might even paint mine red to go with everything else. well aside the ngk wires. LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24 View Post
    im going ot take mine off tomorrow or friday. might even paint mine red to go with everything else. well aside the ngk wires. LOL!!!!
    nice dude!!! Make sure not to overtighten the bolts!

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    nice dude!!! Make sure not to overtighten the bolts!
    its off right now. just clean it and now taking a little break. anyways, ill let you know how it comes out...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    im gonna do this soon and change my gasket, maybe paint the cover soon too. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    im gonna do this soon and change my gasket, maybe paint the cover soon too. thanks
    no stop coping me man. LOL!!!! JK! stylz, how you been???

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    im doin ight stranger where the hell have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
    im doin ight stranger where the hell have you been?
    lol.... its called school man. you should know this. LOL!!!! it keeps me busy pretty much.

When replacing the gasket for the valve cover, do I just use the gasket or do I use any sealant on it too? If so, what kind?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast