The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Skrap's DOHC swap!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 62
    TGC Regular

Skrap's Engine Rebuild

OK so many of you already know, but for those of you that don't my distributor went on my 94 es. When the distributor went it cause my timing belt to skip one tooth off to the right. What i am now planning on doing is my 4g64/63 hybrid build. The plan is to get a 1 gen head to do the swap with. I am also not sure on whether i am going to try and get an eprom ecu and rewire it or to just get a stand alone system. Both have their positives and their negatives. I am also going to get 450cc injectors and wire them up along with the resistor pack. I don't have any parts yet. But i have started to tear down the block...Now i am not sure whether i am going to rebuild the head that i am going to get and if i am going to upgrade my pistons. For right now i am going to make the build N/A. Please feel free to give me any suggestions on parts or how to go about this. I am going to do this by the seat of my pants.... That"s how i learn everything that i have ever done.

My tiny little garage... It better than being outside in the rain though.

This is where the plug is in order to lock the balance shaft into place in order to take your timing belt off. I had a tough time locating it so i figured i would post it.

this is what you head looks like at 180k with very very good maintenance.

This is all i have so far. I have taken the head off along with the oild pan but i have to go out and take some more pictures...
    Last edited by skrap; 11-08-2009 at 11:36 AM

Are you on budget for a N/A build? PM me.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Why dont you tell us whats up with this?

God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    So I decided that I am just going to rebuild the motor to get the car back up and running then I will eventually Turbo the Sohc to get a feel for the tuning aspect...

I Just bought all new valves and they came in on Wens.

I had a very tough time putting them in because I couldn't get the C-clamp style spring compressor to work correctly. The Spark plug tubes were getting in the way so that I couldn't get the spring retainers in. SO I went to Sear's and I bought the style that almost looks like a puller. That was also giving me a big hassle because it was hitting the outside wall of my head. I had to Cut certain sections of it off in order to clear the Tubes and the wall of the head... I eventually got them all in though. I also Cleaned up my camshaft with some 400 grit wet sanding... Then I assembly Lubed it all up and slide the camshaft into place... Its a little bit of PITA to get the camshaft in but I eventually got it in. I also replaced the camshaft seal and put the cam Gear on...

I have a quick question though. I bought a master gasket set for the 4g64 and I was wondering if there is a camshaft seal on the distributor side? If there is idk if its in my kit because I couldn't find it..

Today I am going to clean my lifters and hopefully get them assembled ans on to the head. Then after that next is to clean up my cylinder walls and Put the Head back on! I will take more pictures and post them tonight or tomarrow!!!

the distribuor seals that side with an o-ring. so ono, no camshaft seal.

Did you buy new valve seals? did you install new valve guides?

depending on how many miles you have those guides are probably worn, and if you bent valves, I can almost garuntee you have cracs in some of your guides.

If you want your motor to run like new and not smoke or consume oil(provided your bottom end is in good shape) you need new valveseals and guides.
    Seals are an absolute must.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    I did replace the valve seals but not the guides... They are fine though.. I also did not bend any valves, I just bought new ones because they had a lot of buld up on them and I didnt want to fight cleaning them and then having them not seal correctly because I sanded too much off. The motor has about 180k but everything is in Great shape!

TGC Regular
    So I finally got the head put back together today and I also cleaned up the Rocker arms, Rocker arm shafts and the valve lashings. It was very tedious work but it was worth it in the end. It pretty much looks brand new!

Exhaust side:

Intake side:

I had to get the lube ready:

Intake side assembled:

Exhaust side assembled:

Intake side on the head:

Intake and exhaust on the head:

Bottom view of the valves:

Everything done:

MKO's car watching me work:

MKO working on his ecu:

My G looking so sad and patiently waiting to rumble again!:

This is what I did today and I think everything is coming along nicely. I am going to give my G to my G/F for her first car to drive. That kind of made my priorities for this car change a little bit. his means that I am going to put it back together and instead of boosting it and making it a power monster I am going to be Working on the looks of the car. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know because I am not really sure what scheme I am going to do.

Ill get the starter next time i go to the j/y and well put it all together. i think your interior needs some attention

Build Thread

did you have your head milled?
    do you have new head studs?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    No I have not touched the head... I also dont have new head studs.. I understand that they strach but I am limited on my funds right now so I will just tighten them down a lil more than normal and then take my chances....

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    No I have not touched the head... I also dont have new head studs.. I understand that they strach but I am limited on my funds right now so I will just tighten them down a lil more than normal and then take my chances....
    The head studs are stretch to torque. This means that you torque them to a low torque spec in foot/lbs... THEN you use a degree type of torque wrench and you turn them a certain number of degrees to get the stud to stretch to a very specific spec.

Its not that the studs "may" stretch over time. its that they are stretched in order to get the proper torque spec.
    with that said, once they have been stretched, you simply cannot re-use then and get any kin of a consistant torque spec out of them.

at this point it doesn't matter how tight you torque them down to because even if you torque every single one of your nuts to 90 ft/lbs, each one of those studs is going to yeild a different clamping pressure.
    and your headgasket, especilly without a resurfaced head, will most certainly fail.
    this i know.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    The Head is in Great shape... It perfectly smooth. Why would it need to be resurfaced if nothing is wrong with it?

TGC Regular
    So I decided to do some more work today. Leah and I cleaned up some of my accessory brackets along with the intake manifold.
    Here are some pics..
    Leah scrubbing the intake manifold with a toothbrush:

We still have A LOT of work to do on the intake manifold!!!!!!

Brackets cleaned and degreased:

The brackets Primed:

Now I need some opinions. Which color should I do my engine bay? I am deciding between flat black or gloss black. If anyone has any other suggestions feel free.
    Last edited by skrap; 11-09-2009 at 06:43 PM

TGC Regular
    So this weekend i did some more work. I cleaned up my block by sanding down the old head gasket and I also blew out all of the old coolant from the water jackets. I have been taking off all of my accessory brackets and degreasing them and painting them. I decided that i will be painting them flat black. Then I will paint my block a gloss black.

This is some of the parts before i cleaned and painted them...

Here are some of them with primer:

Here they are painted flat black and then I pulled some more parts and cleaned and primed them.

Here is my before shot of the block:

This is how i looks cleaned. I think it turned out pretty good:

I also pulled it back into the garage and took off my front bumper, crash bar and I took my radiator out to give myself some more room to work...

I also just found out what it was that made my timing belt skip in the first place. As some of you may know MKO has been having problems with a hiccup and we thought maybe it was his distributor. Well my distributor went so I had bought a new one... I put it into MKO's car and it was all messed up!! It did the same thing that it did to my car.. So I'm pissed off becasue I spent almost 400 dollars on a distributor that doesn't even work!!!!! I don't know if i am going to be able to return it either because its been like 6 months!!!! Is there any suggestions on how i should handle this??? Also i know it is the correct one for my car because they match up perfectly. I guess they just manufactured it wrong!!... This is so frustrating.... I just cant wait until I get this thing up and running. This will be my first MAJOR project on a car.. I'm excited to see if this will all work out correctly. Oh and by the way I will probably buy new head bolts because I don't want to go through all of this effort and then have it not work!!!!

TGC Regular
    Ok soo I have a little bit of an update for you guys.. I have slowly been collecting parts for the DOHC swap and turbo.. A major thanks to MKO for keeping my ass on track. So far I have a 2g t head that I am rebuilding I also have the water pipe and the thermostat housing along with the newly aquired gs cam gears and the resister pack.. Thanks again to MKo...

As many of you know I rebuild my sohc because I was just going to get it running again... Well about 3 months ago I bought a 7g for my girl.. I bought it from Mrjaydeeone and he had bought it off eatsleepjdm... So we are keeping it in the TGC family... Anyway I am going to put my rebuilt sohc on that G because the valve seals are completely fried..

I have been having a tough time getting motivated to finish this as of late but I have talked with some people and I think Im ready to get this done!! I have 3 trans's to swap out and then Its time to put my motor back together.. I hope to have my G running by mid summer. I know its a long shot becasue I have alot of work ahead of me but I think I can do it!! I will keep you guys posted withinfo and ALOT of pics!!

P.S. I think I might be the first one to try out MKo's Evo 8 ecu theiry... I hope that it work becasue it will revolutionize our tuning capabilityies!! I am really excited to see how it will work!!

just want to correct you. I bought it from Sleepervr-4
    Last edited by mrjaydeeone; 04-09-2010 at 08:49 PM
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

TGC Regular
    Yea Reggie corrected me over at GT I just forgot you fix it here...

TGC Regular
    So today I finally motivated myself to go and work on my car a little bit.. Once I got started I just went and Got everything ready for me to pull my trans.. Took all my control arms apart and then I pulled my driver side CV axle. I am leaving my passenger side one in because I pulled my old trans out with it still in and plus its just going to go into Leah's car. I should be able to put the trans in with it still in there but if not then I will just pull it once the trans is out. Now I am waiting to run to Harbor Freight and pick up a new trans jack becasue I broke my old one and I will be doing this all by myself!! YAY for me. Well Ive got some pictures for you guys!

Since I had the camera i figure that I would post some picks of the new addition to the Family. Here's Leah's new car!

My 2 Favorite Girls!!!!

Now that the weather is getting better and I am finally getting motivated my goal to have her running by mid summer might actually be possible!!!

please buy new head bolts. you can get them through a local auto parts store for cheap, you dont need arp studs or anything just need stock ones. I got a set of felpros and i think they where like 80 dollars they have the same rating as arp bolts at way less the coast. torque them to correct specs for the dohc head not the 64 numbers they are different.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

he did buy bolts, i think

Build Thread

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast