The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Skrap's DOHC swap!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 62
    TGC Regular
    Yea I bought bolts for the 64 sohc head... I will be buying bolts for the 63 head though.. Trust me I am not going to go through all this work and risk it failing....

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    1g 12mm x 1.25 threads.
    2g/7g 11mm x 1.25 threads.

1g head bolts will not work on a 2g/7g block. When the 1g 6bolt 63t guys use 2g heads, they have to drill the head to fit the 12mm bolts. But when using a 1g/2g DOHC head on a 2g/7g block, I dont think we have to do anything but use the 11mm 1.25 head bolts.
    7g for life!

thats the 6 bolt ones Seth that are 12mm, all 7 bolt head bolts are 11mm
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    I some Updates.. I have been slowly collecting parts to do the dohc swap....(Big thanks to MKO). I have a couple more things to get and then its time to get started.. I got a 1G head that I finally dissassembled over the weekend and cleaned up. It looks in really good shape. Surprisinly the valves in the 1G head have less carbon buildup then the ones i pulled off my sohc... I am waiting on my buddy to get some free time in his shop do I can use his glass beader to clean it up more... Hopfully this thing will be running soon but Its going to be a long long road...
    I also think I am going to attempt to be the first one running an evo 8 ecu... shall be interesting.. lol I will keep you guys posted and also try and get some pictures of my new toys!!

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    I also think I am going to attempt to be the first one running an evo 8 ecu... shall be interesting.. lol I will keep you guys posted and also try and get some pictures of my new toys!!

nope, sorry

Last edited by mko; 05-20-2010 at 07:51 PM

Build Thread

How about you got a turbo and manifold and bunch of other misc shit. Just that stinking Dohc swap

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    Dude dont tell me you already have the evo8 ecu?? or is that the 1g??? I thought we were going to get it figured out on mine since it has down time...

TGC Regular
    sup skarp. How is the 7 gen coming

TGC Regular
    It has been sitting in my garage.. I havent had much time with leah being prego and getting the babys room ready.. Thanks to MKO I am still slowly collecting parts though.. I pretty much have everything..

TGC Regular
    That's good. How was mko been doing. My 6 gen is gone do to my lawnlord. And I'm finishing up putting together my dohc 4g63.

TGC Regular
    I haven't really worked on my car too much as of late but I had some time to give her on Sat night so i decided to finally pull the motor and trans out. I didn't have a cherry picker so it was a little challenging but me and a buddy got everything pulled out of the engine bay in about 2 hrs. I was also going to put it on the engine stand last night but for some reason the bolts for the block were not long enough to work with the engine stand (thanks Mitsu!). Today I woke up and MKO came down and we started searching for bolts that would work and we finally got 3 of the 4 bolts so we got it up on the stand.. Then we started to disassemble the Bottom end. Everything was in fairly good shape just really dirty. We cleaned everything thing up at a special degreaser and it was amazing because everything came out looking like it came strait from the factory!! I need to replace my crank bearings because they are shot. We also had to hone out the cylinder walls because of the surface rust that had started to build up. That also means that I will be needing to buy new piston rings. We also went ahead and Cross-hatched the cylinder walls.. The break in period is going to suck when I get this motor back together but I am glad we decided to break it all down because of the crank bearings being shot. We also did the balance shaft delete on the crank case. We just cut them both. The pistons are in pretty good shape but I am concerned about the rod size because they look kind of small. Also I am debating on whether to get 8G pistons to lower my compression ratio.

Here are the pictures from today"s progress:

Now a couple of parts that I have been collecting
    Rear disc swap thanks to MKO

Intake manifold

And now for the power of this whole project

I have all the rest of my parts in here! LOL
    Last edited by skrap; 10-24-2010 at 08:22 PM

My super duper degreaser........ just spray and rinse.

We went thru 1/2 a Gallon today to clean the parts.

We did good

Build Thread

what was it?? purple power?? simple green??

TGC Regular
    HAHA We don't know its some weird mixture of chemicals... I really want to find out whats in it though... You cant buy it.. we got it from a buddy..

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    looks good man. and i feel you on the stock rods. we have the same exact rods as the turbo 7 bolts and they are the same size as evo rods but they look so god damn flimsy lol. looks good so far
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Jeez man, idk looks like you are in over your head. Its going to take a lot of paddling to get yoru car back in one piece at this point.

There's no way your deck is still true. Just from a pic it looks uneven. Idk looks like you polished it up or something. I'd take it to a shop and have them resurface it as well as have your cylinders properly bored and honed. I'd make sure you stick with a thick composite gasket if you leave it alone.
    See what I worry about for you is that once you get everything finally back together you are going to have problems galore.
    Looks like you used that steel wool drill mandrel for cleaning up the front case. I wouldn't be too confident that your front case won't leak now.

Thats what I worry about for you: leaks of all kinds. There are a friggin thousand things to go wrong. Do it once, do it right.

Anyways, good luck man. You really need to get this running. The longer it sits the more problems you are going to have. Things have a way of failing when they sit. Like power steering rack main seals, brake master cylinder seals, clutch master and slave etc etc. Factor in how old our cars are... and you can have a headache that never ends if you don't stay ahead.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Looks like you used that steel wool drill mandrel for cleaning up the front case. I wouldn't be too confident that your front case won't leak now.
    That brush wheel somehow got into the picture. We did the block on the outside with it. Id never use that on aluminum parts

The front case( and everything else) was cleaned with the chemical mentioned above. I didnt even touch it. Just spray and rinse

Yeah Hes sticking with the composite gasket

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    I understand your concern. I am not really too worried about leaks as much as I am the deck.. Its is somthing that I really have to think about and I might just put it all back together and pray it doesnt leak.. Like mko said I am using a composite gasket. The issue right now is that I need to get this thing running and asap because This will start to fall apart.. Allthough the whole time it has been off the road It has been in the garage.. We just moved it out. Money right now is a problem for me with the baby on the way.. In all honestly I think I am going to try and see if its leve myself and take my chances.. If things work out great but if they fail then its back to the drawling board.. Hopfully it wont fail right away soo I can get my other parts moving.. LOL
    PS- I cant just steal leah's motor if this one blows! HAHA dont tell her I said that though :)

TGC Regular
    OK guys so we cleaned up the block and painted it. I think it turned ok but the paint dulled out really funky for some reason. I also took a strait level to check and see whether the deck was good. IMHO i think it looks pretty decent. I also check the head and that's strait too.

Btw that's not me in the pictures.

Here is the head

I also cleaned up the valves and let them soak in Chris's mystery degreaser and the intakes literally came out like brand new out of the box. The exhaust I wish cleaned up a little bit better but hopefully I can get some more degreaser and them them soak a little bit longer.

Now here is something interesting that I didn't know and it might be useful to some others.. There is a big difference between the Hyundai lifters and the 1g lifters.. The Hyundai ones will hopefully prevent that infamous dsm lifter tick. Here are the pictures The Hyundai lifters are on the left.

This last shot is for Chris to show him that I was busy cleaning the garage up and it looks nice now! LOL
    Last edited by skrap; 10-27-2010 at 09:08 PM

youre really measuring how leveled you work bench is

Build Thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast