The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil issues...silly questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

Oil issues...silly questions

So I am at a loss much like Matt. Only my problem is a serious oil leak...somewhere! The block is covered (will take pics later) and I am not sure where its coming from. Looks a little like blow by, but there is so much on the under carriage too that I am not sure. The pcv is in working order btw. I think its the valve cover seal but I am not 100%. I was told to check the rings around the top of the spark plugs. My first silly question is do I have to remove the plugs to get these rings out? If so I need to go get a plug socket. The other silly question is, Is the valve cover seal an actual seal or is it RTV? Oh...does anyone think it could be the Head gasket...that is another possibility I guess. If it is...I might as well have new rings put it cuz I am suspect about those too. UGH. Balance shaft is deleted too...I have heard that could be a spot of leakage. I need some input here too. Help!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

OK, the valve cover has a gasket, its not RTV.
    The 7g usual oil leak spots:

Main crank seal
    Front engine cover gasket - thats basically the oil pump assembly
    Oil Pan /there is no gasket, its RTV sealant/
    Valve cover gasket
    Cam shaft front seal
    Head Gasket /its rare but it happens/
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

the oil pan was resealed before I moved up here so that I doubt is the issue. So i'll replace the valve cover gasket, what about the rings around the plugs? Possible issue? Main crank and cam seem a little involved...might have to take it in for that. The cam seal I might be able to replace when I take the valve cover off

when i replaced my valve cover gasket for my 8g the gasket came with spark plugs gaskets also, not sure about the 7g but just throwing it out there

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    the oil pan was resealed before I moved up here so that I doubt is the issue. So i'll replace the valve cover gasket, what about the rings around the plugs? Possible issue? Main crank and cam seem a little involved...might have to take it in for that. The cam seal I might be able to replace when I take the valve cover off
    The purpose of the rings around the spark plug cylinders is to keep oil away from the spark plugs. So, just pull the spark plug cable and if there is oil then yes you need to replace them. There cant be an external oil leak if the rings are bad.

Build Thread

before you go searching for the leak, why not clean the engine?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    OK, the valve cover has a gasket, its not RTV.
    The 7g usual oil leak spots:

Main crank seal
    Front engine cover gasket - thats basically the oil pump assembly
    Oil Pan /there is no gasket, its RTV sealant/
    Valve cover gasket
    Cam shaft front seal
    Head Gasket /its rare but it happens/
    Dont forget the infamous distributor O ring

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

evil-g, i just replaced my valve cover gasket due to the fact that i had oil in my plug cavities. the gasket its made out of pernadry rubber, I replaced and no more leakege.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...rivetrain?tlc=
    ^what i used^

as far as oil on your under carriege, could be head cover gasket"/its rare but it happens/"
    or ceankseal

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    before you go searching for the leak, why not clean the engine?
    what...just to later see where the oil is coming from? I think i'll replacve the shit anyways, starting to wonder how well the engine was put together. I think in the long run it will be better to just replace em. They dont cost that much

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    The purpose of the rings around the spark plug cylinders is to keep oil away from the spark plugs. So, just pull the spark plug cable and if there is oil then yes you need to replace them. There cant be an external oil leak if the rings are bad.
    So basically IF there is oil in the plugs...that is no doubt my only problem? Thats what you are telling me it looks like. Do I have to remove the plugs to replace the valve cover gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by koji464 View Post
    evil-g, i just replaced my valve cover gasket due to the fact that i had oil in my plug cavities. the gasket its made out of pernadry rubber, I replaced and no more leakege.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...rivetrain?tlc=
    ^what i used^

as far as oil on your under carriege, could be head cover gasket"/its rare but it happens/"
    or ceankseal
    was it an easy fix? How long did it take

Quote Originally Posted by koji464 View Post

or ceankseal
    Head cover gasket????? - valve cover gasket!
    How come its rare to have a leak in the valve cover gasket ? It aint.
    And before quoting me and explain technical stuff, go straighten out the terms of what is what. I said head gasket, and front engine cover gasket - two totally diff things

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post

So basically IF there is oil in the plugs...that is no doubt my only problem? Thats what you are telling me it looks like. Do I have to remove the plugs to replace the valve cover gasket?
    If there is oil on top of the spark plugs then yes the o-rings are shot, but it wouldnt leak externally except the oil fills the spark plugs tubes all the way to the top, which I doubt.

The valve cover gasket is very easy to replace - just pull the spark plug wires and unbolt the 10mm bolts that hold it. Youll need something like a small screw driver to pick the gasket off the groove, and dont force it cuz it may chip it. Make sure you clean inside that groove. It may be difficult at first to pull the cover from the timing belt cover, cuz its kind of tucked in, but wiggle it a bit and itll come out. You dont have to remove the spark plugs

Build Thread

Sweet! Thanks MKO...I am gonna try to see about doing this sometime this week. Should I do the cam seal at the same time? Would it be accessable, or do I need to tear down a little more to reach it?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    IF the undercarriage is covered in oil, its probably the oil pan. Clean the oil pan and areas around it and check it day to day. I doubt a leaking valve cover gasket would ever leak enough to cause an excess of oil on the bottom side.

My bet is either on the rear main seal or oil pan.
    7g for life!

x2 on cleaning it first to know where to start. i've seen a few cars that the valve cover gasket was leaking so bad it covered the whole back side of the engine and the bottom of the oil pan and undercarriage. thats why i would start with the valve cover gasket

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    I know its not the oil pan..I never thought about the rear main seal! SHIT! I think I should find a guy to take it to. It is starting to sound like this will be out of my league to fix...both skill wise and tool wise

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    How do you KNOW its not the oil pan? Just because it was recently done, doesnt mean that it sealed perfectly.
    7g for life!

evil-g, I meant valve cover gasket..

And it was a pain in the ass, it took me like 15 mins. just to rake that stupid thing out, not including cleaning it up.

MKO my bad, iam going to start callin you uncle Roth, can you say JUMP!?

pfft...15 minutes...I can handle that. But Seth made me think about something else...never thought of the rear main seal so...I am gonna take it to someone and have them do a full engine diagnostic and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    IF the undercarriage is covered in oil, its probably the oil pan. Clean the oil pan and areas around it and check it day to day. I doubt a leaking valve cover gasket would ever leak enough to cause an excess of oil on the bottom side.

Not true, my valve cover and my oil cap on my 3G V6 and it was leaking all the way down the block, oil pan, etc. Actually it still is a little bit since ive had the gaskets replaced because the new oil cap i put on still leaks. Horrible i know, gotta find a better one other then from auto zone.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

well I amight take the 15 minutes to replace the valve cover seal and then get a diagnostic done later

Honestly i would replace the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. Then clean the engine, that way you will be able to see where the leak is coming from better if the valve cover gasket wasn't it. Most likely you will be able to trace it back to its exact location with a clean engine. Plus clean engines look sooo much better.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast