The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weird Brake Wear

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Weird Brake Wear

Well I put on some drilled and slotted rotors with new pads about a year ago because the stock set up i was having problems with them over heating and warpping. These ones lasted a few months before i started to have the same problems.

When i did the brake job I replace everything other then the calipers them selves. Pins, boots, shims, that was all replaced with new ones.

Has anyone ever seen this before and how did you fix it?

The middle of the pads are not touching the rotors but the first 1/4" to 1/2" does. It is an even wear all the way around the rotors. Yep i said rotors. Both sides of the car is like this. Just check out the picture in the link below.
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/imag...2449211711.jpg
    Last edited by 01blackG; 06-13-2009 at 03:07 PM

If you are warping rotors that fast, I would check for brake rubbing.

If one or more of your calipers is not releasing properly, your brakes and rotors could be experiencing a lot of unnecessary heat.

Are the pins well lubricated and are the boots sealing properly around the pins?

Quote Originally Posted by diablos991 View Post

If one or more of your calipers is not releasing properly, your brakes and rotors could be experiencing a lot of unnecessary heat.

Are the pins well lubricated and are the boots sealing properly around the pins?
    Pins are very well lubricated and the boots are sealed properly. But what would cause it to wear like it is?

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    caliper could be frozen...if your 100% sure you pins are fine..

Quote Originally Posted by diablos991 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Pins are very well lubricated and the boots are sealed properly. But what would cause it to wear like it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    I'm sorry if this comes out wrong, or aggressive, but...

If you had brake issues before AND after replacing both the pads and rotors than more often then not its the end user that is creating the problem. You are too hard on the brakes. I've had two Galants with a combined mileage of over 150,000 miles and NEVER have I had the issues some here have had. Lighten up your foot on the brake pedal and leave more distance between you and the car in front of you. I bet you will be surprised.

As far as the brake pad wear itself? Yes, I've seen it. The obvious is that the pad is wearing at the edges of the rotor. My suggestion is to remove the pads, ensure the shims are correctly aligned, and lube the slide pins again (even if you think it is good). Then look at the pad itself and you will see if there is a noticeable difference in wear that would only reproduce the wear problems.

If so replace with new pads and rotors and start there.

Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    Well i can gerentee it is not the way Im driving it. (dont mean to bite back at anyway to anyone here) I would have to agree with 02redgalant. If it is anything at this point it is the calipers not backing off after breaking.

Im just curious why such a weird wear. I have seen wear on half the rotor, skips from rotor warp, down the middle from badly positioned pads, but never have i seen it on both outside edges like mine are.

Sorry man, your braking style is involved too, especially if you had the problem BEFORE replacing the brake pads/rotors, and STILL have the same problem. Lighten up on the pedal and follow the proper bed-in procedures and keep your foot light in general and you should be just fine.

We'll if anyone can tell me why the weird wear is occuring like it is it would be great. and i will repeat what i said before, its not my driving style. And maybe i should be a little bit more specific about the warping on the rotors. only when getting off the freeway and being gentle on the breaks does the warping intensify. Otherwise they seem to "relaxe" and the rotors for the most part are not that bad. Dam i think i just answered my own question. I will post it a little bit later once i tear them apart to confirm.

Experienced TGC Member
    If you can get me a photo of the brake pads off the caliper it may help a bit more to understand what is going on here. Even under hard braking conditions the wear pattern on the rotor, and as you have described indicates something within the caliper assembly itself is not working correctly. Are you running stock brakes, 2 or single piston front caliper, or Brembo upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    If you can get me a photo of the brake pads off the caliper it may help a bit more to understand what is going on here. Even under hard braking conditions the wear pattern on the rotor, and as you have described indicates something within the caliper assembly itself is not working correctly. Are you running stock brakes, 2 or single piston front caliper, or Brembo upgrade?

Check out my original post. At the end of it there is a link that has the picture of the rotor.

UPDATE!!!!

Well i took apart the breaks and found what might be the problem. First is the pads only have about 1/8" of pad left. Second problem was the pad shims shifted so they were not in the place where they should have been. Third the pad shim on the piston side pad was so rusted that it caused another "shim" in rust build up between the pad and the shim.LOL I couldnt even tell you which one caused it to wear so weird but between those 3 it did.

i'm sure that might have something to do with it.

Have you ever FLUSHED your brake fluid?

or are you still running the original brake fluid from when your car was new?

I flush my brake fluid once a year. I run about a quart and a half of valvoline synthetic(highest off the shelf boiling point I can find) then follow up with Motul RBF600.
    I haven't warped a rotor in I can't tell you long. I don't even get my rotors turned when the pads are worn. just slap in new pads.

I do the same with both my cars, my fathers, and my sisters car.
    thats 4 different cars, four different driving habits. no warpage, no problems.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I flushed the whole break system last spring. The breaks are good for now. I just put new rotors, pads, and hardware on. Did the whole cleaning up and lube of the pins. The pins were actually in great looking condition. Other the the old greese that was on them they looked brand new after cleaning them and regreasing them.