The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6A12TT with 6A12 transmission compatibility and tuning a Galant

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Icon10 6A12TT with 6A12 transmission compatibility and tuning a Galant

Hi! I'm new to tuning and I'm in need of advice. My Galant VR fwd has a 6A12 and I've been thinking about putting in a 6A12TT. 6A12TTs with transmissions are hard to come by where I am and I want to know, can simply swap engines - mate the 6A12TT with my stock 6A12 transmission - and everything would work out fine?

And if that doesn't work, how can I get more power from a 6A12 naturally aspirated setup? Its wholly stock, and I don't want to make a move without getting advice. An IHE upgrade? headers? what the downpipe diameter?

Thanks!

TGC Regular
    All 6A gearboxes will mount up to all 6A engines
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp

If your 6A12 is DOHC it will most likely have the F5M31 gearbox, which is the same family as the W5M33 gearbox found in the E74A/E84A VR-4 TT models, just minus the transfer case and gear ratios and final drive ratio is a bit different. It would be a little bit weaker too but with the power being transferred to the front wheels only you'ld get a bit of wheelspin to relieve strain on the gearbox.

Many thanks... Given the expense, I think I'll just stick to tuning and getting more power from my NA 6A12... I've got a lot of questions so please bear with me...

Will changing the intake and header plus a sports computer work to increase power? Around how much?

How about changing into a larger diameter throttle body? Which one would be recommended? What kind of adjustments do I have to make?

Is there a special kind of header for a 6 cylinder? A 6-2-1? Please enlighten me...

How about diameters for the header and downpipe? Are my stock headers and downpipe restrictive or I can keep them?

Again, thanks a lot!

to be honest, without spending a whole lot of money tearing down the engine and fitting higher compression pistons, larger valves, doing some head work and balancing the bottom end there isn't alot of room for improvement on the 6A12.

You could make up a cold air induction system by relocating a pod filter in a closed off area which receives constant cold air going to it. The factory throttlebody size is 60mm (strangely enough my 6A12 MIVEC throttlebody is smaller, same with turbo), which is of a good size. The exhaust can definitely see an improvement, the stock cast headers aren't too restrictive but are very short for space reasons, also the section where both banks join together really can't be good for flow. There are various calculators out there which can calculate what sort of size pipes would be ideal for building an exhaust based on the engine attributes and what expectations you have for power. Most of them you'll find wont physically fit as it requires primaries sometimes up to 2m long in length.

The best thing you could do for the money would be sort out a decent cold air induction system, make up a larger exhaust from the manifolds onwards including a better Y pipe where the two banks meet, as well as a free flowing exhaust (about 2.25" would do it), fitting a larger throttlebody from say a 3000GT/GTO/Diamante and matching all the joins of the intake manifold together to help with flow.

I'm at the same place with my 6A12 MIVEC in my Galant, I've only not long ago rebuilt the engine but I really want more power out of it, and realistically it's quite close to max power out of the stock engine anyway so it would require a full on engine build to increase compression ratio, increase valve lift and duration, lighten and balance the bottom end and fit stronger rods in order to spin it up to 9000rpm+, and fit individual throttle bodies on short intake runners, and have an exhaust with long primaries and secondaries. None of this is cheap.

best bang for buck would be to go turbo, nothing easier than turning up the boost and doing basic mods like induction, larger exhaust, intercooler and BOV and seeing good results for the money spent - but I find high revving N/A power impressive and plan to build one of each.

Thanks Fuel! I've started work based on your budget N/A advice. I'm just saving up on money for the rebuild, while all the other parts are just waiting to be installed. Again thanks very much!

wow thanks for letting me know that 6A12TT throttle bodies are smaller than that of 6A12 NA. I'm gonna hunt for one now :D

TGC Regular
    Most N/A throttle bodies are larger than turbo ones :D
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp