The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G 3rd Generation Tail Lights Wiring Diagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

8G 3rd Generation Tail Lights Wiring Diagram

SUMMARY UPDATE FOR THIS THREAD: The Wiring Diagram below is correct. It is the basic design to wire and solder your 3rd Gen JDMs to the US plugs. Be sure to read the whole thread for details and historical info.

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_ Historical starts here:

So I read a few posts and got really confused, since they don't agree.

I got my tail lights and need to get the wiring done. I drew this diagram, and I would like to get some feedback if it does look right, or if I got it wrong somewhere. Hopefully, it will also help others later on.

What I find most confusing is that at the end of both the JDM and the USDM harnesses (before the end plug) they are just the same, 4 different wires and the black wire.

So, one green, one green/white, one red/blue, one green/blue and one black.

I would think then that connecting them together is just a simple one to one (same to same) soldering job. (And not a more complicated thing as I read that a few greens need to be put together into a single one green....and so on) Am I missing something?

BTY: Pictures and info here from other posts from the TGC forums.

Last edited by galantebeige; 06-14-2011 at 06:15 PM

wow bro good job! sorry i cant help, but if this is right, i will go off this.
    "Our fears don't stop death, they stop life"

I did a little writeup years ago and for me there are 7 wires on my JDM harness. The same 5 wires (same colors) that you have plus another green wire and another green/white wire. So, I had 2 green wires and 2 green/white wires. I just twisted the 2 green wires together and did the same for the 2 green/white wires, then soldered them to the matching colors of the USDM plug.

The JDM harnesses must have been changed at some point to combine the 2 green wires and 2 green/white wires before they get to the plug.

So, just connect the matching colors and you are good to go.

Okay, that's great!, I go with that and do it that way. Soldering each matching colors to each other.

much needed tutorial, i'm still running the stock wire setup on my 3rd Gen tails.
    Thanks much galantbeige!

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

I got this from RedGalant2k1:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=329208

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Here is a break down of the wire colors:

Green/White = Running lights. (When headlights on, both top lights on your 2nd gen JDM taillights should be on).

Green/Blue = Turn Signal

Solid Green = Brake lights (when pushing pedal down) When wired properly these should also both light up when braking.

Red/Blue = Reverse light.

Black = Ground
    I updated the diagram a bit more. The only important change is that solid green is brakes and green/white is running lights.

The diagram itself is correct. This detailed info is only needed for those of you who want your light bulbs to do something different, just mix and match your cables.

Finally got these tail lights up and running, had unrelated (maybe) issues, I blew a fuse....and was going crazy.

Okay, to follow up on this and give a conclusion. It is just as the diagram says. It works great!!

The diagram will light up the bulbs as originally intended. So, use with confidence, it is the right info.

By the way, a BIG THUMBS UP to our Japanese seller Triggermauve!,

Here's my detailed rating info for Triggermauve:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...627#post517627

one correction to your diagram

all the bulbs are 1 filament except for the outside light which serves running/brake light

the difference between the jdm 2nd gen and 3rd gen is that on the 2nd gen both light serve as running/brake lights while on the 3rd gen only the outside light is running/brake light

good job on the diagram though, i got lucky with my tails and i got harnesses with them with the plug so all i have to do is cut the plug from the car side and connect the jdm plug there which was matching wires

stock harness (car side)

jdm harness (car side)

Last edited by spdracr; 06-24-2009 at 11:47 PM
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

I have had my 3rd gens for awhile but would like to rewire mine like Kalimidad had his with the inner bulb being the brake light.

Nice pics!,

I see those colors from the JDM cables look slightly different from mine. Your red/blue looks like red/green?

Anyways, I think what is important is to follow the cables from the bulb itself, noting it's location and purpose (and colors) , and splice them into the USDM harness corresponding cable....

About the bulbs, I will have to take the tail light out, and maybe I will do that soon to double check.

Thanks for the clarification, what we want here for everybody is the most accurate info possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AVERAGE View Post
    I have had my 3rd gens for awhile but would like to rewire mine like Kalimidad had his with the inner bulb being the brake light.
    The inner ones are brakes. That's what I just said in my post

just follow this guide and you are good to go
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

blue8g
    what's the easiest way to wire these since the tailights and the car have a female adapter...

Once you know which wires go to which bulbs, on the JDM side, and know what color wires makes certain things happen on the USDM side, you can wire them to do whatever you want.

For example, if you want the turn signal to be the brake....
    find the green/blue on the JDM side and splice together with the solid green on the USDM side.

It's all in the diagram above now. The color codes are what the USDM colors do. (And what the JDMs do as well).

BLUE8G:

You need to cut them and solder them together as described in the diagram. The cutting points are just at the end, before the JDM plug, and some inches of wire before the USDM plug (to be able to solder some of this length together).

Here's a good picture from the thread
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=17510,
    to explain what the soldering will look like (at least it is very close). I believe it is DangerDanj, who has posted here also. His helpful comments are above. Basically, if you get a 3rd Generation JDM set, it may might not be exactly the same as others have. But the principles are the same. Same color cables, maybe more or less of them, etc.

blue8g
    the diagram worked great but the moron that wired the car from the factory had one color going into the harness and it was switched with another color wire coming out so we had it backwards for a while, then once we fixed it, i popped a chub for the beauty of it all

I' glad you got it done, Blue8G.
    I can't believe the factory messed up!

blue8g
    i know, then again people from illinois are a lil bit messed up...jk but seriously

maybe that's why people say "cars built in america are ......"
    jk

I am posting a few pics of my JDMS...and how they look when wired following the diagram.

RUNNING LIGHTS

BRAKES

BACKING UP
    Last edited by galantebeige; 07-18-2009 at 06:31 AM

blue8g
    ooh mine's right!!!!!!

Is this the same for the vrm taillights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast