The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Here's something never been done here: Rear floor bar install

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Here's something never been done here: Rear floor bar install

The Rear Floor bar on an 8g
    by G-spot

Disclaimer from the OP: First of all, this is just a trial and error experiment. Now before you go out and buy this mettalic piece of object makes sure you read this before making any further decisions.

Okay, like the title says this is one of many mods never been attempted on an 8g (or pretty much any G) before. What I'm talking about is the rear floor bar.

Now before you go out and buy this $35 object on Ebay, let me warn you: this product is never intended (nor practical) for our cars. Why you ask? It's really designed for targa top equipped cars (cars with a detachable roof) much like a Toyota Supra MKIV or an RX-7. Cars that are classified as convertibles like the Eclipse Spyder or a Ford Mustang do not need such a bar because even though they lack roof weight, it has additional metal underneath the car to support its weight, flexibility, and keep it stable (within stock perimeters). You can always add more suspension parts to reduce flex but that is the owner's choice.

So what does this floor bar actualy do? Well, on the brochure it says it reduce flex but how much? It doesn't give us a full detail on it as what type of car it can benefit. Sure you can install this to the Galant but it will do little benefit in terms of flexing because the bar supports the lower portion which is reinforced by thick metal, not to mention the b-pillar and the roof. You have a better feel with a harness bar than a floor bar because the harness support the lower and upper pillar point (to a certain extent). Now you're wondering why with this knowledge did I buy this bar? Is it because I wanna blow my weekly lunch money away? Or maybe it was an early project that I wanted to do 8 years ago. Either way, it was probably just to show that I can install one on the 8g.

Anyways here's a tutorial that I got from a Supra Forums

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=500877

Note this is for the Supra MKIV not the 8g Galant even though some of the pictures look similar. I will update my progress in the coming weeks on how to install this on an 8g Galant.....

Experienced TGC Member
    Always leading the way with unconventional and thought-provoking mods. Keep us posted playa!

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    actually it was done and there are very few members who have it, I forgot to did that group buy.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Seems like a pointless mod. +10 show points?
    7g for life!

Don't take it too seriously sheesh it's not YOUR mod, $35 doesn't kill anybody and it's on in the inside so nobody can see unless peek inside.
    Last edited by G-spot; 06-19-2009 at 03:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    Don't take it too seriously sheesh it's not YOUR mod, $35 doesn't kill anybody and it's on in the inside so nobody can see unless peek inside.
    If you can get it installed correctly and you like it. Go for it, it will be your car and your mod. May not be a very efficient one but it will be a mod.

Who cares if its pointless. If its pointless to other members, all they have to do is DO NOT install it.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

its ok im getting my front end molded into one piece so it lifts up backwards with everything attatched.
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    awesome!

Everyone in this thread needs to play nice, or some of you won't be playing at all.

Consider this a "verbal" warning.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Pete...keep modding YOUR car. I like the fact that you think outside the box & do whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1 View Post
    Pete...keep modding YOUR car. I like the fact that you think outside the box & do whatever you want.
    +1 on that buddy. Thats what this thread should have been about in the first place. Thats probably what G-spot meant it to be.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

in TJ's defense, or at least to point out the obvious, according to the original post (or at least what I got out of it) this entire thread is dedicated to trying to see if it will fit as opposed to what benefits will be gained.... according to the OP,

"Sure you can install this to the Galant but it will do little benefit in terms of flexing because the bar supports the lower portion which is reinforced by thick metal, not to mention the b-pillar and the roof. You have a better feel with a harness bar than a floor bar because the harness support the lower and upper pillar point (to a certain extent)."

in that respect, TJ was just agreeing.. and i agree too, somehow.. i doubt it'll do much but this whole thing is more to prove that it can be done on an 8g

Last edited by DryBear; 06-22-2009 at 11:44 PM

Cleaned up the bs.
    Love,
    Matt

Hell yeah. Keep me posted on this.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Post cleanup reply, since the original got deleted:

The rear floor bar has been done before, by me and several other folks. it really doesn't make noticeable difference since its only using two of the roughly sixteen interior points that flex. It's an OK mod., but don't expect the kind of difference you get with a front or rear shock tower bar. It will also not allow the rear seat passengers anywhere to put their feet except on top of the bar. Also, it may prevent full travel of your front seats depending on how its designed. Not trying to discourage you, just sharing my experience. Good luck.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

interesting