The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cold Air Intake??

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 92
    blue8g

Cold Air Intake??

I want to get a CAI which one will give the most power gain (i'm not expecting much, just something)...

Just get one off ebay and get a K&N filter and call it day.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    really man, SEARCH!

x2 on ebay intake with k&n filter

And u have to mount it somwhere outside the engine bay. A simple heating shield wont do the trick. I can actually notice that a car without open air intake goes better than mine when its warm. Only sounds better... if u got exaust. Or else the engine will sounds like its farting

not sure of the quality of the ebay intake pipes nowadays but back in the day (4 years ago) the ebay pipes did not include mounting points; so you had an aluminum pipe and filter just dangling off the throttle body.

but yea, an aluminum pipe is an aluminum pipe. it doesnt matter what brand the pipe is. there is no "technology" in that. what youre paying for with the name brand stuff is the CARB approval sticker for residents in California and maybe other emission strict states.

I bought this

Its essensial the same as K&N but cost 1/5 of the price. Its from a cheap store with everything for the car, called Biltema and is from Sweden. They bought the construction from K&N and make their own without the K&N brand.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    eBay intakes are Garbage from what Ive seen. They have no mounting brackets and dangle as Qnz said, which looks like shit, and gets banged up with dents bcz of it.
    Get an AEM, Injen, or just buy a cone filter with an adapter and use your stock piping. Our stock piping is not as restrictive as some manufacturers make others, so it will work fine.
    Plus Aluminum is prone to heat absorption which causes loss of performance anyway. Really the only advantage is that it looks shiny and is lighter. Not good enough reasons IMO. I wish K&N made one for our cars that was made out of the ABS Plastic with larger diameter piping. That would be worth it.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

my ebay intake had the mounting bracket and doesnt dangle.....

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
    my ebay intake had the mounting bracket and doesnt dangle.....
    You got any pix? Where does it attach to? Im glad some1 finally upgraded there design, but I still wouldnt buy 1.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

ill try and get some pics in a little bit, it connects to the corner of where the air box used to be. i used the same bolt that came out of the stock air box.
    this is one similar to the one i have you can see where you connect the bolts to
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-9...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by littlerick; 06-18-2009 at 02:52 PM

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    eBay intakes are Garbage from what Ive seen. They have no mounting brackets and dangle as Qnz said, which looks like shit, and gets banged up with dents bcz of it.
    Get an AEM, Injen, or just buy a cone filter with an adapter and use your stock piping. Our stock piping is not as restrictive as some manufacturers make others, so it will work fine.
    Plus Aluminum is prone to heat absorption which causes loss of performance anyway. Really the only advantage is that it looks shiny and is lighter. Not good enough reasons IMO. I wish K&N made one for our cars that was made out of the ABS Plastic with larger diameter piping. That would be worth it.
    I have to agree with the post. I have an Ebay intake and had to fabricate my own aluminum brackets to keep the intake from moving and banging around. It looks pretty good but took extra work.

I also bought exhaust wrap to keep the intake from having to much heat absorbtion. It definately provides a deeper sound and as cheesy as it sounds you can feel a tiny bit of more power (for a slow car) and my gas mileage has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaShiZnitH View Post
    I bought this

Its essensial the same as K&N but cost 1/5 of the price. Its from a cheap store with everything for the car, called Biltema and is from Sweden. They bought the construction from K&N and make their own without the K&N brand.
    have a link to the store? google and ebay are coming up empty for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaShiZnitH View Post
    I bought this
    mine looks like that... but If I was you I will go with the Injen CAI.... and It can give you from 3 to 5 hp if Im not wrong.....
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

The first CAI I bought off eBay for $20 was well designed and had all the mounting brackets. The only problem is they were cheaply designed and the most important one ended up breaking and then I had the 'dangling CAI' disease.

cai

here's the thing with intakes. first of all, in order for it to be legal, it has to have a carb exempt E.O # on it or else it is deemed illegal (i know its bs). now if you are still looking for a cai, i have a like-new AEM and brand new bypass valve ready to ship, pm me if you are interested.

as for the ebay intakes, yeah they'll work for the mean while, but for me the seem to be too cheap of material, but honestly, go with what your budget is meant for and try it out, otherwise get the name brand stuff. it's all personal preference.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aznlverboy View Post
    here's the thing with intakes. first of all, in order for it to be legal, it has to have a carb exempt E.O # on it or else it is deemed illegal (i know its bs). now if you are still looking for a cai, i have a like-new AEM and brand new bypass valve ready to ship, pm me if you are interested.

as for the ebay intakes, yeah they'll work for the mean while, but for me the seem to be too cheap of material, but honestly, go with what your budget is meant for and try it out, otherwise get the name brand stuff. it's all personal preference.
    He doesn't live in California, what the fuck are you talking about?

And to the OP who has already bombarded me with stupid questions, do not ask another question about what you should buy for your Galant, or spend a single cent on it, until you REALLY figure out what you want to accomplish. Set goals, don't waste money. Be real, it's just a FWD POS beater.

blue8g
    i have a goal, i'm just buying cheaper stuff that applies to that goal.......

Kinda like flying to New York and get to taste a true New York style pizza but instead you went to Pizza Hut down the street from your house and order the New Yorker Pizza I've been down that road before but it ain't so bad lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue8G View Post
    i have a goal, i'm just buying cheaper stuff that applies to that goal.......
    There is no possible goal on the 8G platform that would involve wasting money on a cold air intake. Oh, except if your goal is to waste money or have a bling-bling engine bay.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast