The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cold Air Intake??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 92
    Experienced TGC Member
    An intake is an Intake, different piping sizes, filter options, mounting hardware etc...down to the principle design an intake is still an intake. To some people it's not worth going "name brand" on everything or spending $200 for something that is going on an already "outdated" or "POS" platform...if everybody had the money to toss around/burn I am sure we could all find better vehicles to work on.

An intake is indeed an intake. While the AEM CAI I got after my eBay one broke looked great, nice and painted and shiny, it didn't perform at all different from the other cheap CAIs that I ran. I also noticed running just a ram air (or taking off the long pipe in the CAI) actually improves throttle response. But the CAIs do sound cooler with an exhaust system....

Banned
    I've never understood how people at all claim they can tell performance differences among mods that only change horsepower output by a few percent. The human brain and body aren't very good at measuring acceleration, and any possible gains you ever do perceive are as easily caused by differences in atmospheric conditions.

Intakes are a waste of money on anything that doesn't make a decent amount of specific output. Plain and simple. I can pull 5 degrees of timing on my Galant which may result in a drop of about 50 WHP. I would BARELY notice that at WOT. That's 50 WHP, in a car I'm intimately familiar with, and by somebody who has driven and tuned a plethora of performance cars... how the hell does anybody else claim to be able to tell a difference of < 5 WHP? That's absurd.

Don't buy an intake, save up for a turbo system if that's what you want to do long-term. That intake will just be wasted money. It's not like a 4 banger sounds good with an intake anyway. I fucking HATE the engine noise that comes from my 4B11. Leave it stock, leave it simple, until you want to do something serious with it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    BOOOOOOO!!! Intakes are AWESOME! Adds some "BLING BLING" to go with my "BLUE SHITZ YO!!!" LMFAO!
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    I've never understood how people at all claim they can tell performance differences among mods that only change horsepower output by a few percent. The human brain and body aren't very good at measuring acceleration, and any possible gains you ever do perceive are as easily caused by differences in atmospheric conditions.

Intakes are a waste of money on anything that doesn't make a decent amount of specific output. Plain and simple. I can pull 5 degrees of timing on my Galant which may result in a drop of about 50 WHP. I would BARELY notice that at WOT. That's 50 WHP, in a car I'm intimately familiar with, and by somebody who has driven and tuned a plethora of performance cars... how the hell does anybody else claim to be able to tell a difference of < 5 WHP? That's absurd.

Don't buy an intake, save up for a turbo system if that's what you want to do long-term. That intake will just be wasted money. It's not like a 4 banger sounds good with an intake anyway. I fucking HATE the engine noise that comes from my 4B11. Leave it stock, leave it simple, until you want to do something serious with it.
    Yep, was discussed at great length in an indetical thread a month back I think...

Remember guys one big cone filter in the engine bay, is doing one thing and one thing only, sucking hot air in from your engine bay, not cold air, it is then reducing power

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post

U got a point. I could actually noticed that the car was slower without original intake. Its funny to hear other guys say that the car runs better and if they have a heatshield aswell its even better Its the same with huge exaust from engine and to the back. With the engines we have in our Gs we actually get less hp with bigger pipes.... Only reason i got the intake is the sound combined with the exaust. Only thrill i got with my G

Experienced TGC Member
    Anyone who says an CAI is useless is talking out of their ass. LoL.

I was amazed at the location of the OEM intake. Especially considering the opening for the intake is right under the hood near the hood latch. Compare the OEM intake size and location to an aftermarket CAI. The difference is clear as day.

Do people really think the stock intake system is better than a short ram or CAI? Sorry, but there is no way. The stock system is restrictive. Just throwing an adapter and cone filter on the MAS allows more air to enter the engine. And assuming you don't stomp on the gas all the time just to hear the new intake/cone filter, you will get better gas mileage. Just that alone is worth it in my opinion. Not everyone is looking to turbo their "POS" family sedan. I wonder what kind of performance you get by repainting your whole car a custom color?

As for a larger exhaust, obviously you don't want to go too big unless you are FI, but with the RIPP headers, a Dynomax catback and an AEM CAI (now reduced to short ram) I've noticed much better pull at higher RPMs. I may have lost some pull off the line, can't really tell, but I don't race and do mostly highway driving. My car performs much better when accelerating at highway speeds... yes, I can feel it.

Anyway, if you are someone planning to go FI, might as well throw on a cone filter in the meantime.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ View Post
    Do people really think the stock intake system is better than a short ram or CAI? Sorry, but there is no way. The stock system is restrictive. Just throwing an adapter and cone filter on the MAS allows more air to enter the engine. And assuming you don't stomp on the gas all the time just to hear the new intake/cone filter, you will get better gas mileage. Just that alone is worth it in my opinion. Not everyone is looking to turbo their "POS" family sedan. I wonder what kind of performance you get by repainting your whole car a custom color?

As for a larger exhaust, obviously you don't want to go too big unless you are FI, but with the RIPP headers, a Dynomax catback and an AEM CAI (now reduced to short ram) I've noticed much better pull at higher RPMs. I may have lost some pull off the line, can't really tell, but I don't race and do mostly highway driving. My car performs much better when accelerating at highway speeds... yes, I can feel it.

Anyway, if you are someone planning to go FI, might as well throw on a cone filter in the meantime.
    I still cant believe the design of the OEM intake. I understand the Galant was never built to be a performance vehicle, but damn, why give the car suc ha super restrictive intake?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ View Post
    Do people really think the stock intake system is better than a short ram or CAI? Sorry, but there is no way. The stock system is restrictive. Just throwing an adapter and cone filter on the MAS allows more air to enter the engine. And assuming you don't stomp on the gas all the time just to hear the new intake/cone filter, you will get better gas mileage.
    No, a big cone filter does nothing for the car, if you stuck a cone filter in your hot engine bay, straight on the MAS all it is doing is sucking in hot air from your engine bay, it will reduce gas mileage, it will not help the car perform better in anyway shape or form, it just makes a noise as it sucks up hot air.

It will suffer from heat soak, how can a cone filter be a CAI when it
    A. Metal absorbing heat
    B. Heating the air as it goes through it
    C. Sucking in hot air anyways from the engine bay itself

The only way to do a proper CAI install is to use something like the original air box but bigger, perferably using alluminium, engine side of it polished so it reflects the heat, then stick a cone filter in it, and an intake pipe to that from outside the engine bay, other wise your "CAI" is doing fuck all and becoming a "HAI" which will make the engine run worse

Sticking a cone filter on with a bit of pipe is just a placebo effect.

My VR4, if I was doing a CAI on it, I would utilise the stock set up as much as I could

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleg View Post
    No, a big cone filter does nothing for the car, if you stuck a cone filter in your hot engine bay, straight on the MAS all it is doing is sucking in hot air from your engine bay, it will reduce gas mileage, it will not help the car perform better in anyway shape or form, it just makes a noise as it sucks up hot air.

It will suffer from heat soak, how can a cone filter be a CAI when it
    A. Metal absorbing heat
    B. Heating the air as it goes through it
    C. Sucking in hot air anyways from the engine bay itself

The only way to do a proper CAI install is to use something like the original air box but bigger, perferably using alluminium, engine side of it polished so it reflects the heat, then stick a cone filter in it, and an intake pipe to that from outside the engine bay, other wise your "CAI" is doing fuck all and becoming a "HAI" which will make the engine run worse

Sticking a cone filter on with a bit of pipe is just a placebo effect.

My VR4, if I was doing a CAI on it, I would utilise the stock set up as much as I could
    I've read many tests in car magazines of intakes and such to know that on just about any modern car, anything is better than the stock restrictive air box.

Below are results from an issue of Honda/Tuning where they tested 7 intake systems on a new 2002 RSX Type-S.

The stock filter flowed 237cfm. The stock intake with a K&N drop in flowed 244cfm. But, even with the K&N drop in and the better volume of air, they did not see any power gain at all with the K&N drop in filter.

Some cfm readings of a couple intakes tested:
    AEM SR 345.8cfm
    AEM CAI 323.2cfm

DC Sports SR 330.6cfm
    DC Sports CAI 322.1cfm

These are the intakes tested:

Injen short ram
    AEM CAI
    AEM short ram
    DC Sports DAC (short ram)
    DC Sports CAI
    Jackson Racing short ram
    K&N Typhoon short ram

The test numbers:

Stock with K&N filter element. 157.8hp intake temp 122
    AEM SR 163.1hp (+5.4) intake temp 111
    K&N Typhoon 165.1hp (+7.4) intake temp 112.5
    Jackson R (SR) 165.5hp (+7.8) intake temp 114.5
    DC Sports SR 166.9hp (+9.2) intake temp 113.5
    Injen SR 166.9hp (+9.2) intake temp 113.5
    DC Sports CAI 177.4 (+19.7) intake temp 97
    AEM CAI 178.4hp (+20.7) intake temp 96.5

Obviously this is an RSX and not a Galant, but do you really think out stock intake systems would be better than that on a stock RSX?

Take a close look at the intake temperatures. Even the short ram intakes which take in the hot engine bay air had colder intake temperatures than the stock intake system. Also, look at how much more air a short ram takes in compared to the stock intake system and a CAI.

So, I stand firmly by what I said, a cone filter with a MAS adapter is still way better than the stock intake system.

Also, I checked my gas mileage when I first installed a Weapon-R short ram many years ago and I did get better gas mileage. Many others have checked after installing intakes and seen the same results. There is nothing placebo about it. If you stomp on the gas from light to light just to hear your intake growl or your exhaust, then obviously your gas mileage will suck, but that goes the same if your car is stock.

There was another article I read in a magazine years ago that tested short rams vs. CAIs and the results were that a short ram was better for low end power and a CAI better for high end power. The differences in the results were very minute though. I certainly haven't noticed any differences whatsoever when I switched my AEM CAI to a short ram after bending the lower pipe in an accident.
    Last edited by Danger DANJ; 06-21-2009 at 05:11 PM

But your comparing an engine bay where the intake is further away from the engine, as opposed to a Galant.

Tell you what take your car and get a dyno run done then tell me a CAI is worth it.

You take the 8g VR4 which is a Galant, none of us VR4 owners run CAI we use the stock system with a good panel filter, CAI in on Galants has been proven to do naff all, apart from suck hot air in and loose power.

The other option you do is keep the standard snorkel system and the front half of the air box then put a filter there.

CAI only work if they are low, and getting air from outside the car, not the engine bay

Nicely said DANJ.

Kyleg, the RSX's (your Honda Integra) Short air intake is in the same location as the Galant's.

There was a Super Street dyno test about 5 years ago on a cold air intake for a v6 Eclipse. IIRC, it gained 8 horse power over stock.

Experienced TGC Member
    Hmm...why dont we have someone post a pic of their OEM intake. Compare that pic to the other CAI's or SRI's. Look at the inlet size and location of the OEM intake. To say that the OEM intake provides optimum performance when compared to a CAI or SRI is a lie.

To the OP:

Saving money for a turbo will take some time, depending on your income. But from what Ive seen and read, running FI is not some 1 day project. It takes time and good research to have a good setup. So with that being said, go ahead and drop some money on a CAI or SRI. You can buy them dirt cheap. And youll get a little better performance for the time being.

*If you run a CAI, you should probably look into getting a bypass to prevent your engine from hydrolocking in heavy rain.

Honestly I don't goose my car and my mileage has gone up with my intake about 2 mpg.

buy the ebay kit, once it arrives throw it on, and throw the filter in the garbage. then stick a k&n on it. from countless years of making custom intakes they ebay filters flow like crap. k&n ounds much better. more agressive. the ebay filter is a mesh with a carbon element jut like the one in ur stock box filter. tinted to ur favorite engine bay matching color lol.
    and get the aluminum adapter with the 4inch mouth ot the cheap plastic black one thats smaller and more restrictive. the kit above in this thread is the aluminum.
    good luck. and before anyon asks me stay away from home depo pvc piping lol.
    hope it helps.

DanJ: I can tell everytime that my car runs better when cold, after its heated up i loose power big time... BUT if the filter are placed in the front and lots of cold air are gettin in its obviously better.
    Here in Norway a car magazine called "Gatebil" tested on rolling road with open air filters comapred to OEM and OEM with better airfilters that lets more air in. The test car was a Dodge Neon wich has basicly the same engine as the Galant and the diffrence was huge. It was tested when engine was cold and hot. They used fans in the front to simulate driving. With a regular open air filter the engine lossed 4hp/OEM had the same amount/OEM with K&N filter gained about 5hp.
    Hot air takes so much more space than cold air and where almost every1 placing the open air filter its 100% hot air thats beein sucked in. Its obvious that the engine will loose hp with that solution.

I got this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-9...Q5fAccessories

As stated by other members, an intake just stuck nder the hood like I have min isn't all that great, because of the heat, but I love the sound, it doesn't sound rice, just kinda mean.

Pics:

Quote Originally Posted by ThaShiZnitH View Post
    DanJ: I can tell everytime that my car runs better when cold, after its heated up i loose power big time... BUT if the filter are placed in the front and lots of cold air are gettin in its obviously better.
    Here in Norway a car magazine called "Gatebil" tested on rolling road with open air filters comapred to OEM and OEM with better airfilters that lets more air in. The test car was a Dodge Neon wich has basicly the same engine as the Galant and the diffrence was huge. It was tested when engine was cold and hot. They used fans in the front to simulate driving. With a regular open air filter the engine lossed 4hp/OEM had the same amount/OEM with K&N filter gained about 5hp.
    Hot air takes so much more space than cold air and where almost every1 placing the open air filter its 100% hot air thats beein sucked in. Its obvious that the engine will loose hp with that solution.
    Well, as qnz mentioned, there have been magazines and such that have tested short ram and CAI intakes on Eclipses (same exact I4 and V6 engines) and have all shown gains over stock. And if an RSX shows colder intake temperatures with short rams and CAIs, why wouldn't it be the same for any other engine similar to it?

The way I look at it (and maybe I'm wrong), if a turbo adds power by forcing more air into the engine, why wouldn't you want as much air to enter as possible? You just can't get a lot of air into the engine with restrictive stock intakes and air boxes.

Once my car gets up to operating temperatures, it seems to run the same regardless of the temperature outside. I'm sure there are differences, but not enough to notice.
    Last edited by Danger DANJ; 06-22-2009 at 03:18 PM

grab a cooler fill it with ice and drill a 3inch hole n run the intake in there. lol
    beats the bags of ice on the intake manifold like we do at the track. lol.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast