The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: So you want to enter your Galant in car shows?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

So you want to enter your Galant in car shows?

Let me start off by saying theres a difference between a show car and entering your car in shows. My car is a regular street car that I enter in shows. If you want to build a show car, then thats something more advanced than what I know. I started doing car shows since last year so I am still a noobie to this but I wanted to share my thoughts and things I learned from doing the shows.

Theres a few members on here who show their cars at local and national events. Hopefully they will chime in with some useful information too.

Doing shows is one of the more fun and legal things I've done with my car. It feels good when other car owners compliment you on your hard work or when other Galant owners ask you where you get _____ part and you tell them about TGC. You dont need a turbo or a crazy paint job or 20" rims to be in a car show. Talking with car show judges, theyre looking for the overall package and clean rides.

And by clean, they mean literally clean and visually clean. A simple vaccum and wash is not enough. The judges check underneath the wheel wells, to the cracks and crevices in your engine bay and the seams in your seats. You should get a box of Q-Tips to get to those hard to reach areas. Clay bar and wax your car all the time to keep the paint smooth and clean. Tire shine your tires and even the dash to make the dash nice and glossy.

Visually clean is also a big plus. Small things like hidden or flush installations, wires tucked out of the way, engine bay harnesses hidden (not by wireloom) and color schemes that match. If you have HIDs ballasts, mount them somewhere instead of letting them lay on the body, or better yet, hide them out of sight. Painted calipers is a plus but the color should match the rest of your color scheme going on with the car. And just because you can paint/wrap it doesn't mean you should. Sometimes trim pieces look better stock than if you wrap it in crooked carbon fiber.

Car shows will always ask you to fill out a sheet of mods you've done. I always print out a couple of pages of my mod list. One for the judges, and the other one to stick on my car so people can look at it.

The type of venue also will determine how well your car will do at the show. If youre at Hot Import Nights or NOPI, then things like big rims, bling on everything, crazy paint jobs, and body work will help you score points. If youre at a race event with a car show on the side, then performance mods will score you more points.

Shows usually have a mild and wild classes. By having less than X amount of mods will put you in the mild class and more than X amount will put you in the wild classes. Significant mods such as bodykit, Suspension, engine swap, turbo, and rims will count towards that amount. So dont worry if you have a stock Galant with only a rims and a drop and a stereo and youre parked next to an Evo with a body kit, slammed on 20s, with a big ass turbo and CF everything; you'll probably be in different classes. And if your car is spotless, it will look better than his.

Bring some folding chairs cuz its gonna be a long day of standing if you dont. You have to be the first to the show and the last cars to leave after all the spectators leave.

If theres models on your car, then youre guaranteed to have dozens of guys snapping pics of your car.

Have fun repping Galants at shows!
    Last edited by qnz; 07-04-2009 at 09:16 PM

good write up bro.

You nailed it, just make sure yours car clean they even check behind your rims!. Another tip is if you got some flaws in your car such try to serectly cover them up. My example I didn't get a chance to clean out my cup holder so I placed my model toy galant over it so you won't notice it. Also tire shine your tires, I see alot people will some dull tires your in a show not a car meet. I also put on some sunblock and bring a mini cooler with fluids since it a full day type thing. Best advice don't expect to win, enter just to show people something differnt then the norm.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    Best advice don't expect to win, enter just to show people something differnt then the norm.
    thats a good point too. I get a lot of comments from people and judges saying they're impressed because its not a Civic, Evo, 350z, etc.

^ I agree with that quote, come with an open mind and don't expect to win just trophies. This is like a picture of an exhibition: you are part of the picture. If you're just entering it for trophies, then you just sold yourself to the "pageant game" and you will, for the longest time, be obsessed in competing almost every car show just to "satisfy yourself". This has already happened to a former TGC member here and this will continue for some future owners in the years to come .This is fine if your car endorsed by a corporate sponsor but if you are the sole owner of the car it could be very costly in the long run. Don't let your car or the show take over your life. Stay focused, control, and enjoy the show.

Good sh#t to know. I tried to stay away from the car show scene, figuring the Honda's / Accura's would get all the love, and the cars like a Galant (even if it were in top condition) would be ignored becuse of it's 'grocery getter' status.
    Mike

galants can win easily as others said. you dont find a lot of them fixed up or not wrecked or just look horrible. i've never seen any other galants in car shows around my area so i always get a few people that are surprised and my car isnt anywhere near show quality.

Post some pics of your car and at some shows you've entered!

^i have to many for that^

yea the last show i did i told the judge, "its the fact its a galant, a car you dont see fixed up and if you do its only got rims and bang and maybe screens". you never see galants in the show sense. and thats why i love my car. ive done a good amount of shows now and i love them. the last show i did i finally win a trophy for Street Class. It not for all people, you have to really love your car to do something like this.

TeamDreamSpeed / PizzaBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    I can't believe a meet never happening all because I or James is not gonna be present. What kind of crap is that? Since when was G-spot and Silver01G heart and soul of TGCTX?

It's sound good so what should I get done with my car to get into a car show.??
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

^ a little bit of all categories (wheels,exterior,interior, performance, Audio/video)
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    ^ a little bit of all categories (wheels,exterior,interior, performance, Audio/video)
    yupe thats right

I can't believe a meet never happening all because I or James is not gonna be present. What kind of crap is that? Since when was G-spot and Silver01G heart and soul of TGCTX?

they have a stock class too but make sure its completely clean inside and out

yes it has to look like it came right off the lot

i think the first show i did was like in 99.... and the last one i did was in 07 or 06....its pretty much the same things as stated above, but mostly cleanliness....cuz ive seen a crap load of cars that have alot dont to them but they look horrible because of things like....faded carbon fiber,dirty wheels,undercarrriage...etc...yet a car with less done to it will look better if its spotless.....be prepared to get bored after the first 3 or so hours of sitting at a car show lol....

this was the last show i did at HIN...
    Last edited by Censee; 07-04-2009 at 11:16 AM

When you gonna be doing your next show Pedro? I'ld like to do a show with a vet. hehe

I recently had my G in Swedens biggst event for show cars and got nominated one of top 3 "newcomers of the year".
    There where cars that was more extreme then mine but in the end it's all about how clean your ride is...

Quote Originally Posted by Masken View Post
    I recently had my G in Swedens biggst event for show cars and got nominated one of top 3 "newcomers of the year".
    There where cars that was more extreme then mine but in the end it's all about how clean your ride is...
    show some pics...!!
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

Bring all ur car care products cuz ur gonna have so much time to clean it. U will get so bored you will do everything. Also bring a potable vacuum and a battery jumper cuz so many people kill their batteries

the cleaning part is the part that i hate the most... also the boredom after a while it's like u want to do anything but sit there by your car! the models and stuff are cool but then it's more of the same every time. also, like stated before, some shows are more into smoothe and some are more into raciness; know what the show judges and event are looking for or their preferences... i've seen great cars lose because of too much vinyl (roll call or graphics) and great cars lose because they didn't have enough vinyl, it depends on the judges and crowd! also most shows will score you heavier for the quality/ prestige/ rarity of the parts you used (wheels, bodykit, ICE, etc.), although you can still win w/ regualr brands... just make sure you have everything SPOTLESS... think of it like completely detailing everything missed on a car that was allready detailed and then you will almost be clean enough. have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast