The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: aftermarket/dealer installed sunroof issues

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

aftermarket/dealer installed sunroof issues

2002 Gallant ES with what looks to be an aftermarket ASC sunroof (possible dealer installed).

Car has a serious problem with leaking after a hard rain. Its usually in the rear footwells. I sat in the car during a storm and felt the carpet getting wet around the door seals, but on inspection they looks fine. Next guess would be leaking sunroof but the top looks good.

Before I start ripping out the interior, any thoughts on what could be causing this leak? I dont want to do a car out shampoo only to have it come back again.

Do the ASC units have drain tubes?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    the dealer installed ones are notorious for leaking, i wouldnt be surprised if it was that. worth a look in any case.

Are you familar with where they usually fail?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    try to retighten the bolts and screws that hold it together. and make it fit more snug to the seal. i would also check the drain tubes etc and inspect everything is in good condition and connected...other then that i am not familiar really, these are some generic things to look out for...

also since yousaid tehre is water on your floor you may want to inspect the lower plastic cover under your dash and see if water is in there...there is a drain tube there as well (not associated w/ the roof) and a few people have gotten thiers clogged a bit allowing water to spill into and under the carpet...

Most sunroofs have drain tubes. They normally are located near one or both of the front 2 corners of the sunroof. Try looking around the rim of the opening from the top, while the glass is in the open position you'll find it if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    try to retighten the bolts and screws that hold it together. and make it fit more snug to the seal. i would also check the drain tubes etc and inspect everything is in good condition and connected...other then that i am not familiar really, these are some generic things to look out for...

also since yousaid tehre is water on your floor you may want to inspect the lower plastic cover under your dash and see if water is in there...there is a drain tube there as well (not associated w/ the roof) and a few people have gotten thiers clogged a bit allowing water to spill into and under the carpet...
    I will check on the front. The water seems to be contained to the rear unless the car is pitched.

I did try tightening everything, with no change
    Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Most sunroofs have drain tubes. They normally are located near one or both of the front 2 corners of the sunroof. Try looking around the rim of the opening from the top, while the glass is in the open position you'll find it if there is one.
    Most do, but I was under the impression that aftermarket ones generally dont. I will check as soon as I get my hands on the car.