The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OBX Header Install, Need Pics.

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Experienced TGC Member

OBX Header Install, Need Pics.

First of all, I searched the site but it did not answer my questions. I have a 2003 which I believe to be federal spec galant ES, for the reason that it only has 2 Cats, one being part of the header and the other one between the down pipe, and "Catback". I was interested in upgrading because I wanted to get rid of the pre-cat and the forged POS stock header. I wanted to get the OBX down pipe header combo pack but first wanted to make sure that I could make the down pipe work. Was hoping some one with the same year as mine could post some pics of how they did it. Thanks.

all i can say is when i installed my obx header( didnt have the extra pipe, just the header)

it was direct bolt on with the plugs for the o2 sensor

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    the install is pretty straight forward on the i4, take out bolts put in bolts, make sure you use new gaskets, but that is one of the main reasons for headers, other then the piping itself is larger it removes the restrictions as well, i personally if you havent bought them yet would go with something better then obx though

u have a cali spec...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

how can i tell if i have cali or fed spec ??

whats wrong with OBX ??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Experienced TGC Member
    ive read so many contradicting facts on what a fed and whats a cali spec galant, can someone please straighten me out her because the OBX header that i found says cali spec but looks nothing like what I have now

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Fed spec Galants' have an exhaust manifold that actually looks like an aftermarket header is there in place. Cali spec has a huge silver heatshield over where the Fed spec aftermarket-header-looking manifold would be, and I think it has a drawing of a hand on it saying keep hands off cuz its hotttt.. I got Fed spec so someone correct if im wrong about Cali spec

well my 02 had a huge heatshield over the manfold, and if im not mistaken it was built in new york,

or illinois...

or somewhere...

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

2002ShadowDeamon
    mine was built in illinois but i think it is the cali spec cause of the heat shield. i think that is the different like Serstylz2 said.

I think it might be a difference in years, cause my friends '00 Galant doesn't have the heat shield but my 01' does. BTW both are ES 4 cyl.

Fed and Cal specs.

One is under a Federal Emissions standard, and has 2 Oxygen sensors.
    The other is under California’s stricter standers and uses 3 Oxygen sensors.

I think there were some variations of how the catalysts were set up over the years, it might have been a manufacturing “thing”.

to my knowledge, the only 8g's with two cats from the factory were the 2.4L cali specs.

the cali spec v6's had 3 cats
    the fed spec 8g's had 1 cat.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

stock exhaust manifold removal help

how do i remove the manifold on a 4g64? i have all bolts removed except the one on the bottom far left (passenger side)? the power steering pump and a big steel bracket are in the way and the bracket cannot be removed(part of the engine). i cant get a socket on there or a wrench. is there a special wrench or a slim ratchet and scocket i need to buy?

you have a cali spec. The cat built in to your headers is your pre-cat. Your first O2 sensor is at the top of the header, right before the exhaust goes in to the pre-cat, and then your 2nd O2 sensor is after the pre-cat, but before your 2nd cat.

the setup you are wanting to go with is exactly what I am running on my car. Just had it installed about 2-3 weeks ago. The only issue you are going to run in to is that both your O2 sensors read before your 2nd cat. if you elimate your pre-cat then your computer is going to throw the code that there is no difference in the readings between your 2 different O2 sensors since there will be no cat to cause less emissions to be read by the 2nd compared to the 1st.

the OBX headers with the 2nd piece (downpipe) has one bung for the 1st O2 sensor in the same place as the origional, at the top of the header. the 2nd bung is on the downpipe. Theres 3 options (that i can think of) that you would be able to make this work.

1) have you 2nd O2 sensor extended and then fabricate a bung in the piping AFTER your 2nd cat (which after the header install would be your only cat)

2) get a mechanical fix (or use the fouler idea mentioned on here) to trick the 2nd O2 sensor by restricting the emissions flowing to it. ** If your state requires emissions test via OBDII, then this is technically illegal, even though you still have a functional cat.

3) get an O2 simulator and have that as your 2nd O2 sensor. ** same legality issues as above

Like I said, I am running the exact same setup with the OBX headers and downpiper and I eliminated my pre-cat since I had a cali-spec car as well. I went with the mechanical fix personally. It was the cheapest and easiest. $5 part, 30 sec fix.
    Last edited by airborneparainf82; 09-09-2008 at 06:43 PM
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

rammor02
    Quote Originally Posted by p_hite18 View Post
    how do i remove the manifold on a 4g64? i have all bolts removed except the one on the bottom far left (passenger side)? the power steering pump and a big steel bracket are in the way and the bracket cannot be removed(part of the engine). i cant get a socket on there or a wrench. is there a special wrench or a slim ratchet and scocket i need to buy?

I used a gear wrench ratchet and socket, fits perfect. You can back it out and not have to remove any components. I have the header only also, from the header on i had a exhaust shop weld up the rest.
    But it will bolt up to your stock exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    First of all, I searched the site but it did not answer my questions. I have a 2003 which I believe to be federal spec galant ES, for the reason that it only has 2 Cats, one being part of the header and the other one between the down pipe, and "Catback". I was interested in upgrading because I wanted to get rid of the pre-cat and the forged POS stock header. I wanted to get the OBX down pipe header combo pack but first wanted to make sure that I could make the down pipe work. Was hoping some one with the same year as mine could post some pics of how they did it. Thanks.
    Also, if you have your stock hood, most likely the sticker is under the hood, with all the emission's info on it....

Car is sold, no more G.... Moved on to something a big more sporty.... lol

Any pics of the OBX headers installed?

Experienced TGC Member
    wow talk about old ass thread revival, never got em and prolly never will lol
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

i have the OBX set up and its mad easy to install and you can tell the improvement , its all bolt up ! go get a pair lol