The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AC Problem

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

AC Problem

I have done a search and came up dry with anything matching the exact problem that I have.

Here is what is going on with my AC in the car. I had the AC radiator replaced last fall. Things seemed to be good, but it was hard to tell weather or not it was getting as cold as it use to after the replacement by the shop due to it being September and cold outside. So when it hit the high 80's low 90's the other day, I noticed that it wasnt cold, just cool, and it took about 5 to 10 min's just to get cool. So i called the guy up and he blew me off and said just get a recharge. So i went to the store and bought the hose with the gage and a can of freon.

I put a can in and it went up 5 psi. So i put another can in and it jumped to 35 to 40 psi. In 80 to 85 degree weather. As for the instructions the car should be between 40 to 50 psi in 80 degrees. So i hooked up one more can. started to fill it, got it to almost 45 psi. I didnt use the hole amount in the third can.

But the problem begins when i decide to drive the car on the freeway. I can feel the compressor kicking on and off constantly. The air seems to be just cool but not as cold as idle or lower RPM's. So i decided to check the presure one more time. Noticed that it is back down around 30 psi. So i grabed the rest of the thrid can to add it to the system. Things seemed to be ok, and i was only going to put in enough freon to bring it back up. So i did and then more problems are noticed. I got the presure back. But instead of driving the car on the freeway I decided to just rev it up just a little to about 2500 rpms and hold it for a moment.

I noticed the psi dropped down to 30 to 25 psi. Then the compressor kicks it up a notch to compansate i let it bring the psi back to 40 to 45 psi for a few seconds then i let off the throttle and then the psi shoots up then shoots down and the compressor starts doing its off and on trick again for about 1 to 2 mins. During that time the psi shoots way up when the compressor is not engaged (like 60 to 70 psi) then way down to 25 to 30 psi when it engages for about 1 to 2 seconds. Then back up again......and the cycle continues.

Has anyone had a problem like this?
    Possible bad compressor? I hope not.

Im thinking of taking it to another shop to be checked out.
    I think there is to much freon in it for higher rpms. But then if i dont have as much as i do then the lower rpm's wont work but at high rpm's it works.

I think you may have overcharged your compressor...When you check your pressures your suppose to idle around 1500/2000rpms to check pressure..Your compressor is clicking off and on because its overcharged...

We'll there are a few places around here that do free checks. So hopefully one of them are open tomarrow and maybe they can just adjust it properly for me. I also put in some dye so if their are any leaks they should be able to see them also.

I just find it weird how it jumps up and down so much and cant hold a more steady pressure.

Well long story short. After cleaning out the engine compartment and running the AC for a half day, it turns out that there is a leak right at the connection where the AC radiator/condensor connects to the system. So i will be taking it back to the shop that repaired it the first time, and tell them to get it right this time around.