The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to delete EGR

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

How to delete EGR

This is only a theory, but as soon as I have some spare time tomorrow Ill have the EGR installed and tested for CEL.

Im gonna start with how the EGR valve and system work.

The EGR valve works in similar way like the BOV. It has vacuum diaphragm which attached to a valve and there is a spring which closes the valve when vacuum is missing.

The valve is located between the exhaust recirculating inlet and the intake manifold inlet, and when a vacuum is applied it merges the two cambers which introduces exhaust gas to the intake manifold to reduce combustion temperatures and emissions.

EGR SYSTEM:

When the ECU closes the IAC and opens the EGR, it's looking for the intake manifold vacuum to suck enough air /exhaust gas/ to maintain idle through the exhaust recirculating hole on the EGR. You get a CEL when you block this /Ive tried this/, as you completely block the system off. When the ECU opens the EGR, the ECU sees the RPMs drop due to a blocked air /exhaust gas/ source.

To avoid the CELs, the EGR system has to be in working condition and all you really want to do is keep the engine from sucking "bad air" from the exhaust. So the the regular block off plate has to be modified to block off that exhaust outlet on the head while allowing the EGR system to still draw air.

So, drill a hole in one of the circles on the block off plate:

Then locate the exhaust recirc. port on the EGR valve /usually on the bottom/ and drill a hole thru it:

Place the block off plate on top of the EGR so the hole is over the intake manifold port, and blocking the exhaust port.

Now bolt the EGR valve with the block off plate to the intake manifold and test drive it.

Ill have the results tomorrow morning
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    nice

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    interesting way of doing it....how did the test drive go?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

So, I drove like 20 miles today with no CEL. Usually the CEL lights up 5 min after starting if the EGR is completely blocked off.

So far so good.

The only thing I noticed was that when the EGR kicks in the RPMs go up for a few seconds, beacause it sucks fresh air in, and then come back down to normal idle .

Next time i get around taking if off, Ill tap the hole and put one of those bras nipples and the route it to the intake or the breather.

Build Thread

Sweet, a post MAS intake leak.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

the hole that is drilled on the valve need to be tapped with 1/8npt and then routed to the intake with a hose, so whatever air gets drawn trhu is measured

Build Thread

Sorry to revive this thread but...once the block off plate is on can you then remove the egr lines attached to the IM and what would you do with the open ports on the TB that the vacuum lines came off of. I just installed headers on my 6g72 and I blocked off the egr pipe and put a breather filter on the IM?

Quote Originally Posted by cleazy123 View Post
    Sorry to revive this thread but...once the block off plate is on can you then remove the egr lines attached to the IM and what would you do with the open ports on the TB that the vacuum lines came off of. I just installed headers on my 6g72 and I blocked off the egr pipe and put a breather filter on the IM?
    You posted in a 7G thread. Here's what I did. There shouldn't be open ports on the TB. One of the hard lines grouped together, it's the one that is bent or turns 90 degrees, keep it connected.

15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

the basic theory on this is to block off the exhaust gas port and reroute that port to suck fresh air which has to be metered so it has to be post MAF. I had a free nipple on the TB that is before the throttle plate and thats where I sourced the fresh air from.

Build Thread