The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Valve Job adding Turbo Need Help

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

New Valve Job adding Turbo Need Help

I thought my motor was gone (It is ticking pretty bad) but someone told me that is prob just my valves is this an easy fix (something I can do my self if so give me some insight) or is this something I need to take somewere to get it done my motor has 178000 miles (4g64) and after I do this I would like to turbo the car so what other mods would I need to do to get this done Also I have an auto trans so will this hold up with the turbo added or do I have to switch to 5spd

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    All ur info is in here but do ur homework and u will find all ur info
    03 I4

perfect time for head swap
    these 4g64 know for cheap lifters

The search button will be your friend in your research.

You will remember much better if you dig up the info yourself then if somebody gives it to you.

You also may gain an understanding of why certain parts are needed by looking up that information.

Good luck!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    ticking is either valves or lifters usually, but i wouldnt do them yourself unless you are a mechanic as everything has to be aligned.. you can turbo it as is and many ppl have.. auto trans might hold the power if your lucky, but if not it will blow. and im assuming you know how to turbo the car like part wise and stuff
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

run one can through the egr system and one can in your gas tank.

the one that you run though your egr system just pull a vacuum line off and let it suck into the motor, you need a friend to help you keep her running cause it will try to stall. Once the whole can is sucked into the engine shut it off and let it sit for 20 mins, it will steam inside the engine and break up all the carbon. Start it up and take it on a beat run, just beat the crap out of it, its going to smoke alot but it will break up all the carbon build up on your valves. Should help with the ticking some, you might have to adjust your lash adjusters but this is a easy cheap way of getting rid of some of the noise.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

I'm in similar situation but my valves only tick once in a while and if I turn off the engine and restart it it'll go away....

Makes me wonder if it's a problem with oil pressure to one of the banks of the V6....Does it happen to 4Gs as well? Like it'll tick as if a bolt dropped into the valve train but it'll drive perfectly fine. And 100% of the time if you shut the engine and immediately restart it the ticking goes away for good....

Only happens maybe 3 times in a week daily driven. Any inputs?

Lifter tick is common even with a headswap....it's the same lifters...either pay extra for revised lifters or get them from a 3g.
    As far as turbo goes...search.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

3g lifters, really?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by koji464 View Post
    3g lifters, really?
    mhm most go with the revised lifters though
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Im in the same boat, 168k on my 8g 4g64, it just the lifters. Plus i have an oil leak. No biggie really just gotta keep an eye on my oil level till my other head is done. The only time mine stop ticking is if I have the motor under load for extended periods of time, like an hour or more.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.