The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To: 8G Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 61
    Quote Originally Posted by es_fact View Post
    I posted a tut... well kinda lol

I think you should PM peano and ask him. You don't really have to, but it IS way better for your front disks.

As for me... I've had the parts from MKO for about 1 month now. But I've done nothing with them until I'm able to figure out this problem.

ya ive had the setup from mko for a few months and still have yet to do it prolly next week me and my buddy are gunna tackle it ... but i would like to change the porportioning valve any ways even thought im gunna stay single piston ... if any body finds a place to get these cheap id rather go brand new with this part just to play it safe, as well braking is the most important function in a car lol

Sorry guys but no prop valves for a couple of more days. I found a few of them ABS and non ABS, but they were located right behind the engine - very hard to reach on V6. Next time I go I promise Ill have them.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Sorry guys but no prop valves for a couple of more days. I found a few of them ABS and non ABS, but they were located right behind the engine - very hard to reach on V6. Next time I go I promise Ill have them.
    Yeah, how do they look? lol.. I mean how hard is it really going to be to ge this done?

ill let you know when I get them. At least Ill have to remove the intake mani

Build Thread

looks like a fun day at the junker commin' up for you man lol

keep us posted

Well, I bought the proportioning valve for the 3.0L 2003 Galant. I didn't know that the 3.0L came with dual pistons still. I thought they stopped that in 99. Anyway, the part number is MB699551 and was $50 brand new from the dealer.
    I noticed that there was a difference in my braking performance after swapping the valves. Earlier, I would notice that there was a lot more pressure on the front brakes after stopping, but after this change, the braking is a lot more smooth and balanced out. I'm not sure if it's my imagination.

I also bought the 3.0L e-brake cables from the dealer and swapped them out with the new backing plates, therefore I didn't have to make any mods to the backing plates. Just straight plug and play.

The only thing I noticed is after all this is, there's a strange popping sound from the back when I press the brakes now. I suspect that it might be air going through the drilled and slotted rotors from R1Concepts, but I'm not sure. I was told that it's a possibility because the rear rotors are so much thinner than the front ones and it might just be normal for drilled rotors. Anyone else notice this? You have to drive near another car or wall and slowly press the brakes with the window open to notice this sound.

I have a similar noise from my rears too i think it's the pad i used with my cross drilled

I've had no problem or noise from mine.

That's rather interesting... I want to get this valve done right away. How complicated is it for the e cable? lol... I rather drill the damn thing lol

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Well, I bought the proportioning valve for the 3.0L 2003 Galant. I didn't know that the 3.0L came with dual pistons still. I thought they stopped that in 99. Anyway, the part number is MB699551 and was $50 brand new from the dealer.
    I noticed that there was a difference in my braking performance after swapping the valves. Earlier, I would notice that there was a lot more pressure on the front brakes after stopping, but after this change, the braking is a lot more smooth and balanced out. I'm not sure if it's my imagination.

I also bought the 3.0L e-brake cables from the dealer and swapped them out with the new backing plates, therefore I didn't have to make any mods to the backing plates. Just straight plug and play.

The only thing I noticed is after all this is, there's a strange popping sound from the back when I press the brakes now. I suspect that it might be air going through the drilled and slotted rotors from R1Concepts, but I'm not sure. I was told that it's a possibility because the rear rotors are so much thinner than the front ones and it might just be normal for drilled rotors. Anyone else notice this? You have to drive near another car or wall and slowly press the brakes with the window open to notice this sound.
    good to hear
    i'll try to get the valve and let you all know my results when I can. Hopefully the 3.0L valve can fit for the v6 rear brakes.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

GalantEVOII
    I have a problem getting both backing plates for my conversion.... anybody has or know where I can get them? The junkyards act like dummies when I ask for them and point them out to them.

I got mine from rez887, but check other junkyards to see if they can take them off for you.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

I don't know about Fortworth, but in Dallas they won't sell you just the backing plates.

im the guy to talk to about backing plates

Build Thread

GalantEVOII
    Quote Originally Posted by rez887 View Post
    I don't know about Fortworth, but in Dallas they won't sell you just the backing plates.
    But I dont know why they just sold me the discs and calipers even after I asked them for the plates too....

^There is your solution GalantEvo. He has gotten many people the parts needed for the rear disc swap including myself.

GalantEVOII
    Shall we talk about it in PM??

GalantEVOII
    Quote Originally Posted by stvn_mj View Post
    ^There is your solution GalantEvo. He has gotten many people the parts needed for the rear disc swap including myself.
    Indeed. I sent him a PM a few days ago but that was before I had the parts. Now that I have the stuff from another ES 2.4L, I definitely can start making it all happen

well if you need anything, LMK

Build Thread

rocky 8g
    maybe i missed it but will 95 -99 eclipse rear rotors work to

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast