The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To: 8G Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 61
    yes
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

derrick
    can you just use the rear brakes off a G8 with rear disc breaks and put them on a G8 with drum drakes ?
    Last edited by derrick; 09-03-2010 at 04:28 PM

you can but the E-brake wont fit, which is why you have to widen and grind down the side on the backing plate where the E-brake goes.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

derrick
    what do you need for the whole disc brake conversion?

ARTS List required for completing the upgrade
    This was confusing for me at first because I wasnt sure if I needed the knuckle and brake assemblies or just the backing plate, etc etc....
    So what I ended up doing was purchasing the entire rear axle assembly from a 2002 Eclipse GT. But the only parts that are necessary to complete the conversion are as follows(this is taking for granted that you get it from a 2000+ Eclipse GT, older models may be different);
    1.) Backing plate
    2.) Hydraulic Brake lines(NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE EBRAKE CABLES, YOU DO NOT NEED THE EBRAKE CABLES.)
    3.) Caliper mounting bracket and mounting bolts (2 bolts per side)
    4.) Calipers with mounting pins (2 pins per side)
    5.) Pads (DUH!)
    6.) Rotors (DUH!)
    7.) Brake fluid, DOT3 or DOT4 is fine for our brake systems. A 32oz bottle is like $3.50 at pep boys and will be MORE than enough to flush and bleed your entire brake system.

OPTIONAL PARTS LIST;
    1.) The hub assemblies from donor car
    2.) Hub bolts (4 bolts per side) from donor ca

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    ARTS List required for completing the upgrade
    This was confusing for me at first because I wasnt sure if I needed the knuckle and brake assemblies or just the backing plate, etc etc....
    So what I ended up doing was purchasing the entire rear axle assembly from a 2002 Eclipse GT. But the only parts that are necessary to complete the conversion are as follows(this is taking for granted that you get it from a 2000+ Eclipse GT, older models may be different);
    1.) Backing plate
    2.) Hydraulic Brake lines(NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE EBRAKE CABLES, YOU DO NOT NEED THE EBRAKE CABLES.)
    3.) Caliper mounting bracket and mounting bolts (2 bolts per side)
    4.) Calipers with mounting pins (2 pins per side)
    5.) Pads (DUH!)
    6.) Rotors (DUH!)
    7.) Brake fluid, DOT3 or DOT4 is fine for our brake systems. A 32oz bottle is like $3.50 at pep boys and will be MORE than enough to flush and bleed your entire brake system.

OPTIONAL PARTS LIST;
    1.) The hub assemblies from donor car
    2.) Hub bolts (4 bolts per side) from donor ca
    Optionally, if you want a direct bolt on, without modification of the ebrake cable inlet, you can get the ebrake cable of the v6 as well. Also, you can get the proportioning valve to make the braking smoother with disk brakes.

the list is provided in the first post of the tutorial. You could try the ebrake cable from a v6, i just used my i4 cable and modded from there, either way is your choice.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

I am getting ready to go up to the garage and do my conversion. I am going to change my metering/ proportioning valve as well. Since I didn't see any tuturials on this I was gonna make one during my build. I was just thinking about adding it on to this thread if that is ok with everyone? or should I start a new post?
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

you can start a new post, and if you PM a mod, he could merge the two together, so that way both tuts are side by side in one thread.

let me know when you finish adding your pics and text; i can add any additional parts for the proportioning valve to my thread.

I finished my post... here is the link
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...160#post660160
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

Got my conversion done... now just waiting on my buddy to finish work so we can bleed the system.
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

sweet, ive been wondering for awhile on how to do this and looks perfect and a great night project for next weekend.

thanks! this is a great tutorial (yea i know im late haha)

haven't been on here in a while. Yeah if my buddy and I knew what we were doing before-hand, the whole project would've taken a few hours tops. Real easy project, just make sure you have all the tools ready before you start anything.

antraw
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_neo2000 View Post
    sweet, ive been wondering for awhile on how to do this and looks perfect and a great night project for next weekend.
    What type of brake assembly did u use?

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone i have a quick question, we just did this swap over the weekend(i used a v6 parking brake line) after the swap the brakes work but im having issues with the parking brake now. I have to jam the lever all the way up for it to actually function. Was there something we missed when we did the swap?

Positioning wise everything is placed as it was

Did you adjust the emergency brake pads via a flat head screw driver through the rear disk?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Yes we adjusted it to be closer to the rotor( the shoes are worn out im aware and looking into to getting new ones to replace them) but I just want to make sure if there is anything else to order while im at it so I can get it done in one go

You can also adjust the e brake under the cup holder

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast