The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intercooler Size/Piping for Big EVOIII 16G

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Intercooler Size/Piping for Big EVOIII 16G

hi everybody,

i have a galant 1995 with 6 bolt 1g turbo engine , my turbo is 14b but now i wanna change it with Big Evo III 16g turbo with many other parts ! but now i want to know something about my intercooler size and piping ! my intercooler comes from galant vr4 with 2" intercooler piping , the core size is : 17"x 3"x 8.5" and the total size : 23"x 3"x 8.5" . i wanna know is this intercooler big enough for my new 16g big EVO III turbo ? plus 2" intercooler piping is good or its better to install new 2.5" piping ?

There is alot of pics from y intercooler and piping , please check them and let me know !

Thank you in advance !
    Ali Viento

other pics ... thanks

i mean, you'll be fine with what you have,

but you'll only gain from running 2.5" hard pipes.

hard pipes means less rick of boost leaks, no hose expansion causing varied volumes for your turbo to pressurize, looks a MILLION times sexier,
    but the biggest gain is that it will allow significantly more airflow.
    airflow(not boost) = power

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Very nice Ali... I agree that with larger pipes you gain more out of your setup... but as long as there are no current leaks in your pipes, they should hold up fine with a larger intercooler... IMO
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Your intercooler will be fine. People run a 16g on the stock SMIC in 1g/2g DSMs.

+1 with what DOHCstunr said. Grab a universal intercooler pipe off eBay and cut/weld it together, or have a shop do it.

Like:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-I...Q5fAccessories

With my kit, I used 2 45* bends, 4 90* bends, a Dejon Tool j-pipe, and two pieces of straight pipe.
    Last edited by seth98esT; 07-09-2009 at 01:13 PM
    7g for life!

It's interesting to know the stock JDM VR-4 with 14B turbo had 1.75" internal diameter intercooler hoses and intercooler inlet/outlet, while the JDM Evo/facelift RS VR-4s with 16G turbo had 2" ID hoses and intercooler which was longer than the normal VR-4 intercooler. Evo III has the same 2" ID hoses but an even bigger (taller) intercooler. I would say 2" piping and intercooler would be fine for up to around 300hp.

TGC Regular
    It all depends on how much power you actually want to run, like DOHC said, you'll need to run more hard pipes at a minimum of 2.5" rather than the rubber ones you have there. Also that cooler you have would be good for about 300-350hp max. For a comparison, an evo 8 intercooler from stock is good for about 500hp and it's a fair bit bigger than the one you have there.
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp